+ Reply to Thread

Thread: completely random injuries

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default completely random injuries

how many times have you looked at a bruise you know wasn't there yesterday and wondered now how did i do that?

most of my bruises and other injuries (sprains etc) are from doing gymnastics on a 15 foot vertical chrome pole, but how the fuck did i bruise my tail bone? sitting is an adventure, rolling over an epic quest. i survived the battle of the x-ray table and according to the people who can't say for sure cause they're not certified, it doesn't look broken. but fuck this sucks. there's nothing like looking at a room full of comfy squashy chairs and knowing that the act of sitting down is going to cause more pain than that of standing for another hour. sorry about the self indulgent rant but fuck this hurts.

~K

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Default Re: completely random injuries

People ask me about my bruises all the time. I usually don't even remember how I acquired them.

Certification != certainty. Anyway, this doesn't really happen to me? I damage myself all the time crafting, but that's not the sort of thing you miss happening. Same goes for all the deliberate cuts, which are generally what people ask me about. =)

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Its just part of being a dancer. It goes with the territorry, and its just the nature of the job...... Shit, I managed to bruise a rib, and I have no freaking clue how it happened. All of a sudden it just hurt. Does anyone know how long it will take to go away? It pretty much sucks.

Depends how deep it is. Since its bone though probably a week for the pain to stop and another 1-2 for the bruise to go away.

Thats just the SCA talking though.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I'm always hurting myself without realizing it. I'm guessing it's from work, I don't know.
    Bruised ribs hurt like a bitch. I fucked myself up at a concert a long time ago and I couldn't laugh or cough for weeks without serious pain. The worst thing is there's really nothing you can do about it either, have to just wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Its just part of being a dancer. It goes with the territorry, and its just the nature of the job...... Shit, I managed to bruise a rib, and I have no freaking clue how it happened. All of a sudden it just hurt. Does anyone know how long it will take to go away? It pretty much sucks.
    I bruised three ribs last week but i know exactly how i did that. trying a trick meant for a pole that spins on a pole that doesn't. no g forces to keep me aloft, so i slammed back into the pole right ribs first, thes three just below the shoulder blade. made coughing hell for about four days. a week should be plenty for it to heal if you take it easy for a few days. heat packs/ tiger balm and hot bubble baths will accelerate the healing.

i'd take a hot bath for my tail bone but i can't sit down.

~k

I get random bruises all the time! I'm starting to think my bf just grabs me too hard during sex because I get bruises that look like finger marks on my thighs...

Quote Originally Posted by keiko View Post
    i'd take a hot bath for my tail bone but i can't sit down.

~k
    I have this great Martial Arts linament called Dit Dat Jow, that heals just about everything in record time.

If you were over here I'd offer to apply it for you.

...but no, really check that stuff out, and see if you can find it where you are. It heals down to the bones, and fast. I'd be all kinds of crippled with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    I have this great Martial Arts linament called Dit Dat Jow, that heals just about everything in record time.

If you were over here I'd offer to apply it for you.

...but no, really check that stuff out, and see if you can find it where you are. It heals down to the bones, and fast. I'd be all kinds of crippled with out it.

yeah i used to get it from my Sifu when I was training kung fu,but sadly i can't seem to find any near by and i can't travel very far. just standing on the bus was enough to make me wish the spinal column would just sever already cause that's gotta be less painful. thank heavens tiger balm is one of those things i can pick up at the drug store and luckily the dr hooked me up with the good pain killers so at least i can lay down. being curled up on my knees is no way to sleep. the x-ray tech said that it doesn't look like there's a fracture, if there is i should hear from them by monday. not that they can put it in a cast or anything.all i can do is "take it easy till it heals". the really shitty part is that "taking it easy" means i can't work till it's healed and i'm broker than broke. sorry now i've just deteriorated into random bitching.

~K

Dude, I'd be bitching too. Sounds like you're in some serious fucking pain Booo...
    Here's hoping it's not actually broken and you get better soon. At least you have a super sweet man (from what I hear) to help take care of you.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    Here's hoping it's not actually broken and you get better soon. At least you have a super sweet man (from what I hear) to help take care of you.
    Eh, he's okay I guess... not quite right in the head though.

Fortunately, no broken bones to report! Mobility, comfort, and the oft-taken-for-granted ability to sit down are all coming back to her. We also had Dr. Vic Odin as our temporary live-in physician, and he managed to minimize her pain. She might be back to work this week, if she feels up to it.

Thank you all immensely for your concerns and well-wishes!

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

I bruise easily anyway, but sometimes I find massive bruises that I don't even know how they got there. who knows?

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i get leg bruises all the time, but can never remember where i got them

I get random bruises too and I have no idea how I got them. I just noticed a bruise on my wrist the size of a 50 cent piece and it doesn't really hurt.
    Did anyone know that the blue blood you see in some of your veins is actually blue. It is really blue blood and if you cut your self the blue blood will come as red because it oxides when the air hits it. I learned this in Cosmetology school.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I'm going through that right now, though it's more of a scare for me as I'm currently trying to make an appt w/ the doc about something that could be related and seriously scary....

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Most of my injuries aren't random. Knees swell up from standing/walking/kneeling, headaches from concussing myself when I hit my head on EVERYTHING, bruises from punching games we play at work. Yeah, I think I can pretty much account for all my bruises.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Almost every single day! I am so accident prone and bruise easily, I get cuts and sratches from who knows where. I manage to injure myself in my sleep on occassion too. Years ago I managed to break a toe without knowing how. I just knew after a while the pain kept getting worse!

i have soooo many scars on my body that i have no idea how i got, including a fairly jagged 5 inch scar on my forearm. actually, that may be one of the few scars i KNOW how i got. stupid me and my male adrenalin and testosterone

i can account for more than 90% of my scars and a good 50-60% of my bruises (pole. stage). Hell more than 93% of my body is tempered against everything that isn't a killing blow. Except apparently the 7% in the area just around the "tramp stamp" (no I don't have a tattoo there), which i guess would make it my Achilles Heel of sorts... on my tail bone. luckily things are on the mend and I do get to go back to work tomorrow.

I've broken toes ... well all of them, individually. the craziest one is the one i know how i broke, the pinky toe on my left foot caught on the corner of the wall when i rounded the kitchen into the hall at top speed to get to the phone before the machine go it (yep back in the day when people had house phones with cords and machines with tapes) and it bent the toe out at a right angle with a clean break.

A few years back i sprained my wrist hugging my teddy bear really tight in my sleep during a nightmare, the snap of the tendons woke me up. I'm such a spaz.

~K

Glad your feeling better!

+ Reply to Thread