+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marilyn Manson:Hero, Zero, Gigantamous Popsicle?

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

Default Marilyn Manson:Hero, Zero, Gigantamous Popsicle?

Well i read Marilyn Manson's new stuff being thrown around a lot in the new music video thread. Well many people i know either love him or hate him. So what i wanna know is whats you people opinion on this.

personally, i like a lot of his tunes, but im not too thrilled with him. I dont know why, a lot of him seems to be an act

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Marilyn Manson:Hero, Zero, Gigantamous Popsicle?

OH, dirty mind that I have, I thought you wanted to know how (ahem) LARGE he was, in a groupie sort of way...

To answer that dirty minded question, I think decent size.... One of the girls in my band used to do him.

I don't know, I liked "Anti-Christ Superstar", but Trent produced it, and he did a really great job, so how much of it is the production.

I mean, at least SOMEBODY is wearing makeup, for god's sake, even if he is not that great looking!!!! Even WOMEN don't wear makeup anymore, it's depressing. I think I am the only girl in New York that wears makeup everyday. I thought New York was supposed to be glamorous.

[QUOTE=MistressJennifer]OH, dirty mind that I have, I thought you wanted to know how (ahem) LARGE he was, in a groupie sort of way...

To answer that dirty minded question, I think decent size.... One of the girls in my band used to do him.
    QUOTE]

haha, wow, i didnt even consider how the title made the whole dealie sound

but i do agree with you on the whole makeup statement

Lange's Avatar Bull Shit!! I love Amelia

I think Manson went downhill after losing Daisy Berkowitz...To me, Manson (the band) went down the same road as GNR. At the start, they made music because that's all they had. Then when the money starts flowing in...getting away from the basics. Bigger studio budgets...different sounds...breakdowns between band members...the whole time getting away from the raw edge that got them there in the first place.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    OH, dirty mind that I have, I thought you wanted to know how (ahem) LARGE he was, in a groupie sort of way...

I don't know, I liked "Anti-Christ Superstar", but Trent produced it, and he did a really great job, so how much of it is the production.

I mean, at least SOMEBODY is wearing makeup, for god's sake, even if he is not that great looking!!!! Even WOMEN don't wear makeup anymore, it's depressing. I think I am the only girl in New York that wears makeup everyday. I thought New York was supposed to be glamorous.

I blame the internet for the decay in glamour. Used to be it made sense to put on the see-thru dress and the eyeliner to hit Melrose on a Saturday because it was social and alive. Now, it is a ghost town and it just feels like what's the point. Unfortunately I am also just not modern enough to buy outfits to wear on webcam or for livejournal-only photo shoots.

are there any other original members other than manson

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingSelfrighteous
    are there any other original members other than manson
    Pogo I believe was in the original lineup. (I am going to feel so stupid if he was not.)

i thought he wasnt with them anymore

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

From early interviews with him, I know he is smart. And I think a lot of what he used to do, was indeed an act, designed to make him a famous and successful rock star. By creating the most controversy possible. And he continues with that act to this day. But... As far as music, I think his stuff is hit or miss. I usually like 1-2 songs per CD he puts out. But it also seems to me that he has now gotten a pretty big ego. Which comes with being successful sometimes. It seems like his intelligence about what it takes to get to the top, did not extend into intelligence about why it is not good to act like a spoiled, egotistical rock star... But my guess is that is what he wanted all along. Regardless, I appreciate his art, costume designs, makeup, etc... It's all very cool, original, and I appreciate his efforts. I just do not think all of his music is that great...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I liked his pre Mechanical Animals days...now he seems too much like a self parody...I was never a fan of him blatently stealing much of Bowie's look but at the same time he was doing stuff no one else was...I'm still a fan but I seriously think he needs to push ahead into some new territory and style of music...

He reminds me of KMFDM...I'm a huge fan but I'd be the first to admit that their works sounds virtually the same album after album with similar theme's, songs, and structure...WW3 bring an excellent example...I heard it before ...it was called XTORT...ever since Nihil they have gone on a slow downward slope...high quality just nothing earth shattering. Same for manson...after Antichrist Superstar...where is their to go BUT down?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Manson's fans turned me off to Manson.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I think a lot of his music is good and he is the first person i awhile to make a good concept album and face it the man is a marketing genius but his last album sucked

i agree grotesque was sub-par

I don't care... he have some good songs, but he have definitely quality music (I like that sound) and good musicians (even stylist) stands behind him so, I don't know if I like him or hate him but I shurely respect him for work that he does.
    Long live Marilyn Manson's music

Yeah, his style has become too much fancy in last days. I don't like people full of them selfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    He reminds me of KMFDM...
    long time, no hear

Thanks for reminding me on band that I totaly forgot on. They rock!

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I like quite a lot of his music, most especially to dance to.

I don't think one should take his act too seriously. He is a self-acknowledged satanist, so parody is practically a tenet of his belief system. In fact, some of his circuslike self-promotion and hucksterism remind me of LaVey.

~Histrionica~

wasn't he a blonde androgynous gal-boy in the 80s or 90s ? Now he's the Penquin from Batman-- waww-waww!P.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

oh and he has the best stage show ive ever seen

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I like Manson. I like Pogo too. Smart guy. Kinda crazy...

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

yeah manson and pogo are the only two original members that are still in the band.
    Pogo was always my favorite. I even shortened his name to P'go. I forget why. But it sounds funny to say.

Anyway.

I really loved their older stuff, their spookykids stuff was awesome and Portrait Of An American Family will remain one of my favorite albums ever.

I haven't listened to any of their newer stuff as much as their older stuff, but it's good too. It was interesting to watch the band change so much over the years. Upsetting at first. But interesting.

My fiancé saw them play for the first time back during NIN's self-destruct tour in 1994, when barely anyone had any idea who they were, I wish I could have seen them way back then, but I was only 14 in 1994, and my parents refused to let me travel hours and hours away to some city to see that tour.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I like Tim a lot. He's super talented, and a snappy dresser too!

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

I like Marilyn Manson
    (but not the die-hard fans, little Mansonites, and we all know why.)

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Decent music but I don't like the image. Let your music speak for itself.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i really am a fan of a lot of his music videos like, "man that you fear" and "the nobodies" and "torniquet"...etc etc he has a bajillion music videos i love and i could watch forever... i think he has an amazingly sexy voice.... although hes extremely mainstream or what not i still respect him.

Nixxx's Avatar Junior Member

He's a great showman and he's engaged to Dita... what more can I say?!

-x-

I was born in Long Island, NY, but I have lived most of my life in Tampa,FL until my unfortunate recent move to Naples.

Marlyin manson is a wickedly intelligent person with an incredible sense of self and the balls to express it however he wishes. He at one time embodied a unique image and sound. Unfortunatly that persona (our way of life) has now been absorbed by any young kid looking for attention (We have been mainstreamed). The most disturbing part of this mansonite movement is what has happened to our scene the places we hold as sanctuary. They have been turned into teen hangouts, and this is disturbing to thoes of us who belong to the pre manson era. If Marilyn would have remained in the shadows were we belong and out of the lime light he could have become a great stimulus to people who understand individuality does not mean creating carbon copies. I hope I didn't offend any one out their, but if I did deal with it.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I like mansons crative abilities, and he is a smart guy, Gorge S who is the alt VJ at much and he use to I dunno if he still does the punk hour on 102.1 said he was shocked at his intelligence the first time he interviewed him. I like his music but I am not a hardcore fan, I saw him way back and thatwas in the midst of his fervent popularity play with NIN's in Toronto I had a was Co-oping with a fil company that was helping len equipment for filming I really liked the NIN nails part...Marilyn was just all over the place..fun times...i had to saty late and help out...my mom came with food...she was kinda scared I think by some of the kids but over all she watched for a bit amd said soething wierd....Gerry Lee Lewis in a modern form...good tunes and over the the showman ship...

I read his autobiography, well, most of it, anyway, a while back...mostly because this girl I liked was obsessed with him, and begged me to read it, but I have to say it sounded, to me, like bullshit.
    I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everyone Manson's ever met was insane. But I doubt it.
    I don't think he's stupid, exactly, just that he's desperate for attention, and his intelligence takes a backseat to his need to be in the limelight.
    And, uh, I don't really care for his music. He ruined Tainted Love.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

i like most of his stuff but i hated his last album i thought it was just plain crap!!mobscene shouldnt have been released as a single and getting thrown about constantly on every channel put me off him a bit

Quote Originally Posted by greyxideals
    I read his autobiography, well, most of it, anyway, a while back...mostly because this girl I liked was obsessed with him, and begged me to read it, but I have to say it sounded, to me, like bullshit. <snip>
    I'm sure he did have at least some bullshit in his autobiography. If one has read the Satanic Bible and knows anything about LaVey, one knows he was a great huckster, showman, and loved seeing just how outlandish of lies the public would fall for. As Manson is an avowed satanist, i imagine he slid some fantasy-as-reality in his story just for shits and giggles. For that, and to confirm how some people will believe anything.

I'll bet he would applaud you for doubting his facts.

~Histrionica~

exactley....you get outta that there snow Historinca....

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    exactley....you get outta that there snow Historinca....

You offering?

~Histrionica~

like Hell, to be honest though for some odd reason the idea of moving back out west has amsued me lately...probably because of the mountinas...and well Source Skatepark....and I have friends out there...but that dark underside I glimpsed at keeps me heree on the eastside...it's been summer here in fall...I think Ontario will get rawked pretty hard this winter...*blushes* I wish I could save all the lovely ladies of BB but dammit the queen just lost her corgie and some super villian tied my cape in a dam not!

My son skates in the Source Skatepark we have here in Calgary. The new one by Mewata Armory if you know our city.

Though our weather is predictably unpredictable, and our government intolerant of alternative lifestyles, still it is my home and always will be. I'll work on changing society from the inside.

And i love Ontario. Northern Ontario in the fall is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

~Histrionica~

+ Reply to Thread