+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Dawn

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Default Red Dawn

the upcoming summer in australia is going to suck this year
    this morning people in sydney woke up to this

pic link
    flickr pic thread

A DUST storm that has blanketed Sydney and parts of New South Wales is the worst in 70 years, if not the history of the state.
    The Bureau of Meterology said the storm, which has now hit Brisbane, was an "extremely rare event".
    “It's one of the worst, if not the worst,” BoM NSW regional director Barry Hanstrum said.
    Residents of Sydney and parts of NSW including Moree and Dubbo awoke to scenes likened to "armageddon", with limited visibility and orange skies. The conditions are expected to clear later today.
    Forecaster Bryan Rollston said the dust, from drought-ravaged western NSW, was propelled by a change from northern to southerly winds.
    Low visibility
    Tony Auden, a forecaster for the Queensland weather bureau, said Brisbane experienced about one dust storm every couple of years.
    “But this is definitely the worst we’ve seen in several years,” Mr Auden said.
    “Visibility is at 200 metres at Brisbane Airport.”
    He said the dust over the city should clear overnight.
    A Sydney Airport spokesman said a combination of strong cross winds and low visibility would lead to flight delays throughout the day.
    “We're operating in low visibility conditions due to strong winds and dust haze,” he said.
    “Departure and arrivals delays will be experienced at both Sydney and domestic and international airports."
    Fire services have been kept busy as alarms were activated around Sydney.
    One Sydney resident said on Twitter: "Fire alarm in apartment won't shut up. Argh! I slept through it too. Sky is red also. Slightly freaking me out. Back to bed."
    Other Twitter posts included:
    Tors: Is it the end of the world? Sydney sky is red like in a Stephen King novel.
    Dawn: gale, creepy red fog, sound of sirens. WTF? Expecting Martian war machine to lurch into view any minute.
    Sydneysiders with allergies and respiratory problems are being told to stay inside.
    The NSW Department of Education said it would ask school principals to keep students indoors today, cancel any planned physical education activities and to keep a special eye on students with asthma or other respiratory conditions.
    And while it would be business-as-usual for most workers today, the NSW Business Chamber said some people would choose to work from home to avoid the dust and bad traffic conditions.
    "But in general, we expect workers will just muddle through and make the best of it," spokesman Chris Taylor said.
    The red dust covering Sydney was swept up and carried east by gale-force winds from further inland, where years of drought have left the earth dry.
    The gusts hit Broken Hill on their way to the coast, forcing the closure of one mine. Visibility is reportedly down to just 10m in the town.
    Sydney airport this morning recorded gusts of wind thick with dust travelling up to 80km/h.
    Authorities have warned the winds will continue to affect Sydney through the day.

and your little dog too

Default Re: Red Dawn

what does it feel like to be in that kind of weather?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by karyn View Post
    what does it feel like to be in that kind of weather?
    I was just wondering the same thing. The recent fires in Los Angeles coupled with the heat wave were icky enough.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

That kind of stuff sucks. I've been in it quite a few times in Iraq. We had one where everything was yellow for over a week. You walk out and just automatically get covered in nastiness. Even after showering you just feel dirty.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

It looks beautiful, but I would hate to be in it. I'm sure the clean up will be a bother as well. The only time I've seen the sky change colors was from California fires a long time ago. The sky was an eerie and gorgeous color.

down in melbourne we had one back in 1983

i remember getting the day off skool cos it was too hot and we had to run around the house shutting all the doors and windows

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

dust makes good for killin commies

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I am angry and displeased. I thought this was going to be a thread about shooting Russians and yelling about Wolverines.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Back in '06 I was in a guard tower when we had a storm roll in. I took pictures, but I don't know where they went to. But, from quite a distance out, just a wall of sand coming in covering everything. Looking from where I was I just saw it tower over vehicles and buildings, and then all of a sudden, they were gone.

I'll find one of my other pictures with just everything yellow later.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Those pictures are cool as fuck.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf View Post
    I am angry and displeased. I thought this was going to be a thread about shooting Russians and yelling about Wolverines.
    Lo. I was just thinking about that movie.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Lo. I was just thinking about that movie.
    Oh yeah sweet-tits! We're totally on the same wavelength. We should make babies.

Then you should take care of them while I show up occasionally to do this:

Another dust storm hits New South Wales, Queensland

RESIDENTS planning to hose down their homes and cars in southeast Queensland might want to hold off until tomorrow, with another dust storm expected late today.
    Although the dust will not be as bad as Wednesday's storm, which blanketed Brisbane and turned skies a bright orange, residents should still be vigilant and keep doors and windows shut.
    The second dust storm, from a cold front moving from southeast NSW, has already passed through Sydney and was over southern Queensland at 8.30am (AEST).
    Visibility in Sydney was at 5000m, compared to 500m on Wednesday when thick red dust blanketed the city.

Are the dust storms radioactive?

A TEAM of Australian scientists are analysing the dust that has engulfed eastern Australia this week to see whether it is dangerous.
    The dust storm is believed to have originated around Woomera in outback South Australia near the massive Olympic Dam uranium mine, prompting fears it was radioactive and dangerous.

Monk's Avatar Junior Member

As someone currently finding it hard to breathe in said dust storm, lemme tell ya.

IT SUCKS THE GODZILLA COCK.

Seriously, this is the worst crap I have ever had to deal with in this god forsaken country, and is almost enough to make me move back.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    IT SUCKS THE GODZILLA COCK.
    he has one? i always assumed he had one of those 'cloaca' things, like many a reptile.

are there any confirmed sightings of his appendage? or is he, like lady gaga, just rumoured to have a big package:P

Quote Originally Posted by grebo View Post
    down in melbourne we had one back in 1983

i remember getting the day off skool cos it was too hot and we had to run around the house shutting all the doors and windows
    Imagine if the dust in that pic were a meteor-induced tsunami. That would be a hell of a thing to wake up to. Briefly.

+ Reply to Thread