+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apocalypse

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Apocalypse

I woke up from an odd dream a while ago, in which there was an earth shattering event. I'm not sure what the event was, but what I do remember is being at the store, in the parking lot, and all of the power going out around us.

After this, we rushed to family, but most was scattered. Cell phones weren't working, tv was static. Not even radio was broadcasting.

Luckily, my close knit group of friends and I have a plan set for what to do should something like this occur: exactly where to go to meet-up, where we will stay till some of the chaos dies, even what we would need to grab from a store and where we would live to keep to ourselves. We also have made sure that our friends know at least one trade that would be absolutely necessary, such as electricians, plumbers, farmers, etc.

I was wondering if anyone else were so prepared? What are you plans if a mass catastrophe were to happen to the entire country, or planet even. Be it viral, war, nuclear, zombie, what have you....

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Apocalypse

I've been prepared for good things like that to happen for a very long time and I get more and more prepared every day

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

It's called a house with big heavy doors, a gun cabinet, and lots and lots of ammunition. Along with lots of booze and stuff to make fire with.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    It's called a house with big heavy doors, a gun cabinet, and lots and lots of ammunition. Along with lots of booze and stuff to make fire with.
    Yea, but do you have any sort of plan for resources after those have run out? Anywhere to go that you KNOW is deserted mostly, as it is?

I don't think your plan should include a 'what we still need to get from stores' stage.

Anyway, the picture's a bit different here in the Netherlands. We're so crammed together there's absolutety no deserted 'middle of nowhere' areas - the best you'll do is 'middle of a mid sized cornfield in between a lighted road and a well groomed artificial forest with at least two villages at comfortable walking distance'. And of course, you'll be sharing that cornfield with at least three other groups of people that had the same idea.

Also, there's no guns, so if it's zombies or armed invasion we're pretty much screwed. Sheer chaos, on the other hand, becomes a lot less dangerous - fire might cause some shit, but buildings here have high safety standards and there's water everywhere. It might take the pacified consumer masses some time to grasp that there's no qualified experts coming to drop it on their burning houses for them, but I'm sure they've still got survival instincts buried somewhere under all that conditioning. Those that don't will be the first to go.

Me, I'll be as fine as anyone. I'm a quick learner, good at improvisation, have some squatter skills like breaking into and barricading buildings; I'm healthy and reasonable strong, and the whole thing will be far less of a culture shock to me because I've had a personal head start on the breakdown of social order.

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow View Post
    Yea, but do you have any sort of plan for resources after those have run out? Anywhere to go that you KNOW is deserted mostly, as it is?
    Yeah, it's called they won. Either I use my last bullet on myself, or I was out, take as many more out as possible, then let them eat me. It's only a few minutes of pain, but then, if I'm a bad little boy, I get to become a reanimated walking blasphemy and kill others. It's a win/win situation

As far as non-zombie apocalypses, I know how to grow food, hunt, cut up animals, all that fun stuff. There's always stuff to burn, even if it's another body. So, basically, I'm pretty self sufficent. I think I'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I don't think your plan should include a 'what we still need to get from stores' stage.
    Our stuff isn't normal stuff though. odd shit that most people don't think of, places no one would be, such as a junk yard.

I got my old boy scout handbook and a pocket knife stuffed away here somewhere.

While everyone else is trying to raid groceries and guns stores, Just cruise by the hardware store. Raid the garden supplies and get tools. they will go a lot further than canned goods and bullets.

Truth is, if you can keep a cool head and survive the initial panic, you'll be fine. Although there are some things you will need that no one ever thinks of until it is too late:
    • A large collection of 80's music. Probably on cassette, no more itunes!
    • Clippers - in a post apocalyptic world you will need a Mohawk.
    • Dirt bikes and dune buggies - or a 1968 camaro.
    • Never underestimate leather vests and crossbows.
    • And you best pick a good nickname now - Toecutter, Nightrider, the Humongous, Ironbar. Get the good ones before someone else does.

I would be headed to the junkyard first actually. Need good junk to make stuff. Armor up my truck, hiding hold, you know, useful shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post

While everyone else is trying to raid groceries and guns stores, Just cruise by the hardware store. Raid the garden supplies and get tools. they will go a lot further than canned goods and bullets.

Truth is, if you can keep a cool head and survive the initial panic, you'll be fine. Although there are some things you will need that no one ever thinks of until it is too late:
    • And you best pick a good nickname now - Toecutter, Nightrider, the Humongous, Ironbar. Get the good ones before someone else does.
    You got the right fucking idea right there

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    I would be headed to the junkyard first actually. Need good junk to make stuff. Armor up my truck, hiding hold, you know, useful shit like that.
    Exaaaaaaaaactly Junk yard is a good place to go, especially if you can figure out how to turn a battery bay into a power reserve

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I think the best answer is to get to the woods. Somewhere there is fresh water, animals to hunt, and other foods to scavenge from nature. All the food in the city will run out in a few months. Maybe even weeks. So the best bet is to get out into the woods, and build yourself a shelter of some kind. Since I am in a big city, I have enough food and water to get by for a few months, until I can figure out a good plan to get out of the city. One plan is to use a dirtbike, to travel over rough terrain, and avoid main roads and freeways. The other plan is to steal a boat, and head up the coastline. But if you really want to survive for the long term, you'll need to establish a self-sufficient living situation. Where there is sustainable food and water. And that's hard to do in some areas.

Our stuff isn't normal stuff though. odd shit that most people don't think of, places no one would be, such as a junk yard.
    Scrapyards are useful enough currently, but it seems odd to me to visit them right after shit hits the fan. I think the general association with post-apocalyptic settings and making stuff from junk is that there's a lot of fresh junk and little else to work with.

Clippers - in a post apocalyptic world you will need a Mohawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Scrapyards are useful enough currently, but it seems odd to me to visit them right after shit hits the fan. I think the general association with post-apocalyptic settings and making stuff from junk is that there's a lot of fresh junk and little else to work with.
    It never hurts to grab a few spare parts for your car, that you know you will need if you are taking a long trip: extra tires on rims, etc. Spare parts are good.
    When I think junkyard, I'm not talking about a big heap of crap. No. The ones around us have the cars damn near completely disassembled for us already. Nice, as clean as it can get of course, and laid out in a grid like fashion.

Cars parts, I don't know about. Although I imagine that any minor apocalypse should provide you with your choice of broken down cars, anyplace that you would reasonably take your own.

and the porridge was just

not prepared at all. just terrified.

and the porridge was just

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post

lets be friends?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I'm relatively well armed and there is a 7-Eleven across the street, so I suspect I'll be pretty close to the front of the line for a short life's supply of cheap beer, Gatoraid, and Doritos. I might need a hand with the Slurpee machine though, that thing looks heavy.

Well it depends exactly what type of disaster it was but I do have sorta of plan. If I needed weapons for anything my parents house is a fucking arsenal and if I needed to be self sufficient I would go up to my friend's place in Maine. It's out in the middle of nowhere and they grow pretty much anything you would need, even stuff to smoke

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm not worried about it. If it happens, it happens, and there will be nothing I can do to stop it. If it happens, I'll take it in stride & roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KessM View Post
    lets be friends?
    Friends? Grab some facepaint and matches and we'll be cannibals, and that's way better than friends!

Monk's Avatar Junior Member

I don't think anyone can be fully prepared for the complete and utter end of civilizaton as we are aware of it. However, I am moderately certain I can adapt to just about massive upheaval of The World That What Is.

Personally, I don't think the world will end with a bang, but a whimper.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    I'm not worried about it. If it happens, it happens, and there will be nothing I can do to stop it. If it happens, I'll take it in stride & roll with it.
    Well, it isn't really about stopping it or anything, just mostly do you have any contingency plans...

Part of what brought this dream on is that I just finished watching The Colony... now mind you, we've had these same plans since the fiance and I got together 6 1/2 years ago, but our group of friends has changed, and grown actually

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the only thing that'll be different with an appocalypse is what people are left won't be as connected as they are now. There should be enough parts lying around for people to get going again pretty quick if they want to be bothered to. Smart people will barricade themselves in schools because they're solid builings, they have lot's of information in them in book form and they're surrounded by open fields.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

There's not much any of us without cockroach DNA could do against a nuclear apocalypse. Given at least a day's warning, I could probably fight my way into an underground bunker somewhere, but the likelihood of advanced warning would be slim.

I am, however, fully prepared to withstand a worldwide electrical or technological shutdown... and my cousin and I have been preparing for the zombie apocalypse for a good decade now, but we're getting the impression that we'll have to trigger the damn thing ourselves to ensure that all our preparations aren't in vain.

Well, it isn't really about stopping it or anything, just mostly do you have any contingency plans...

Part of what brought this dream on is that I just finished watching [url= Colony[/url]... now mind you, we've had these same plans since the fiance and I got together 6 1/2 years ago, but our group of friends has changed, and grown actually
    What I was trying to say is that I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I have a feeling that if there was an apocolypse, any plans I would have had wouldn't do me a damn bit of good. Nothing about an apocalypse is predictable.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Nothing about an apocalypse is predictable.
    Some things are. Someone with "will" in their name (Bruce Willis and/or Will Smith) must be involved - the ability to tear off your shirt at a moment's notice is apparently core to world salvation. A girl who's related to someone you once heard of in the 80s will cry a lot, or be made love to by the aforesaid shirtless hero, or both, and will learn to fire a gun by holding it sideways and closing her eyes. There will be at least one power ballad over at least one sweeping shot of a helicopter, and the guy with the German accent will die in flames.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I'm just gonna learn how to throw a razor-sharp boomerang. That should do me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames View Post
    Some things are. Someone with "will" in their name (Bruce Willis and/or Will Smith) must be involved - the ability to tear off your shirt at a moment's notice is apparently core to world salvation. A girl who's related to someone you once heard of in the 80s will cry a lot, or be made love to by the aforesaid shirtless hero, or both, and will learn to fire a gun by holding it sideways and closing her eyes. There will be at least one power ballad over at least one sweeping shot of a helicopter, and the guy with the German accent will die in flames.
    Mjha ha!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I must be in denial about this whole 'end of the world' thing. I just don't see it happening. At least not while I'm still around so what do I care?

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    I must be in denial about this whole 'end of the world' thing. I just don't see it happening. At least not while I'm still around so what do I care?
    thatas pretty much how I feel. I'm not buying that 12.12.12 shit.....

Mjha ha!
    God, I type like an asshole on this phone............. Lol.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I'll be kind of pissed if the world ends the day before my birthday.

I don't see a truly end of the world situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if WW3 broke out at any time, tbh. And I guess that's more what we're prepared for.... less world destruction, more civilization unruliness.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    I'll be kind of pissed if the world ends the day before my birthday.
    haha!

+ Reply to Thread