+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you ever been in a flood? (PICS)

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Have you ever been in a flood? (PICS)

The Boston Globe has some crazy brilliant photography of the current flooding in the Southeastern U.S. I've actually spent quite a bit of time in some of the areas currently flooded and they are places which have not seen a flood in more than a hundred years. So kinda unexpected and freaky.

Whenever there is an earthquake in Los Angeles, which is my current home base, it tends to give me a sense of unreality, as I did not grow up anywhere which had regular quakes. I look at these flood pictures and they also seem so unreal.

Have you ever been in a flood? How do you think you would react?

Default Re: Have you ever been in a flood? (PICS)

Our house is in a flood zone but luckily built on a hill of about 9 feet of packed earth.

Our neighbor however is further down the hill with no packed earth. So their entire backyard flooded about a foot deep.

I have never personally lived in a flood zone, but I have lived very close. In Huntington Beach, California, 2/14/1986, when I lived on 5561 Spa Drive, there was torrent rain storm. the rain measured on the street I lived, 10 to 12 inches. In my current area. 9/18/2004, Hurrican Ivan, turn the peacefull little creek 2 blocks below my house, into a big raging river. My house is 2 blocks, above this creek, up on a very steep hill.
    What would I do? I do not know, since I never really had to think about it.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I so want to ride that coaster!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Damn Forest, you beat me to that comment.

Anyway, I've been in a couple, but nothing as bad as what is shown in those pictures. Here in central Texas we had about a week and a half of rain every day that just cleared up earlier in the week, but the worst that happened were some main roads got closed. I'm more use to blizzards where every highway gets closed and no one is going anywhere without a 4 wheel drive truck.

My unit did go to New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina relief too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

we get flooding in spots here but it's too up and down to be much more than a drag for a few people

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Where are those pix supposed to have been taken?

We have floods here, but my house is a good 20 ft up off the street.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Where are those pix supposed to have been taken?

We have floods here, but my house is a good 20 ft up off the street.
    In Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee, between September 19 and yesterday.

Looks like now is a good time to be twenty feet above ground, even if you are only in a neighboring state.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

I was in that Flood! I live Just outside Atlanta. We weren't hit as bad, our immediate land is
    up higher,but even down the street was washed out. I stupidly drove though a section of my own road with water flowing up to the Doors in my truck.

I've been in some other floods,but this was a bad one. These little rains this weekend aren't helping since the ground is so saturated,it only takes a little more rain to wash out again.

as for reaction, it's a few days off work, playing in the rain. Golf Course Surfing is a favorite. Skim boards+ super saturated gold course grass=megafun.

That's Six Flags,Voltaire.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

There's a six flags here? Man, I need to get out more.
    We've had a little rain here in the carolinas, but nothing like that. Its beautiful here today, not a cloud in the sky. I'm gonna go for a walk and take pictures of fall leaves.

Been in Hurricane Katrina and I live in ATL. So 2. My new kitchen I was remodeling is destroyed from the rain.

Voltaire, we can make it a group outing! It's only 20 minutes from where I am. :p

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I've been close to flooded areas when I was living in California, the Sacramento River would get really high and some of the streets parallel to it would get flooded over, but thankfully none of the homes I've been in were in high risk areas and it was never to that extent.

DarioLaVey's Avatar Member

in autumn 2007 our entire neighborhood was completely flooded! i made some pics bu i need to find the cd i burned them on. i will look and than i'm going to upload one of them here if somebody is interested. oh an nothing got destroyed but the water was EVERYWHERE!!!

+ Reply to Thread