+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 103

Thread: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

  1. #41
    ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Fransisco
    Posts
    2,938

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    I'm not very familiar with the statements in question, as I've never seen the documentary mentioned above, but I did just see that the L.A. prosecutor just admitted that he lied in the footage they had of him. He said he never thought it would air in the U.S.

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...nski-case.html

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    I think you're missing the critical points of why we give a shit about anything you have to say with only one post, and no introduction thread, oh great and mighty sockpuppet.

    If your thoughts on this subject are that gosh darn important that I should actually read them, then maybe you should become an actual part of this community, and participate here beyond randomly responding at length, and in detail to someone who couldn't care less about what you have to say.
    I apologize for not making an introduction first. I was planning on filling out my profile after my post, but ran out of time.

    People here may know me, but may not remember me. I've been reading Blue Blood's content for many years now and was drawn to this particular thread because I had just watched "Roman Polanski:Wanted, and Desired", but prior to him being arrested the other day. That combined with having met Amelia G and having a lot of respect for her and her opinions.

    I don't particularly want to reveal too much about my current life as I'm pretty much on vacation/retirement from the scene for now, but some may know/remember me from my DomDominion days. Blue Blood helped promote our fetish ball and other events in 2001-2003.

    That's who I am, if you don't care what I think or have to say, by all means feel free to ignore me. Wherever I post, what I write stands on its own. There's merit, or lack of it, in the words themselves, not in the avatar, profile, or number of previous posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    I'm not really stretched that folk's opinions differ from mine, it's the dead certainty with which they proclaim their wholly subjective pronouncements, and their binary TRUE/FALSE mentality that I find tiresome.
    So few words, yet so much irony.

  3. #43
    Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.
    Posts
    370

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    There's merit, or lack of it, in the words themselves, not in the avatar, profile, or number of previous posts.
    Whoa... I think I like you!

    How do I feel about Roman Polanski, to get back to the subject? I'd like to say I feel nothing... but that's no longer the case. I'd like to say that, if he and I didn't share film directing as a hobby, I wouldn't even know his name. His movies were alright; nothing overly special. Now, however, he has been over-hyped to the point where I'm starting to reluctantly hate him... like how my suite mate taught me to hate Aerosmith (an otherwise-unhatable band) during my Freshman year of college. What's worse, I hate myself for hating him because I realize the only reason I hate him is because I've grown to hate hearing about him!

    I think it's time for a new scandal; this one's too retro.

  4. #44
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    4,723

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    yeah.........new scandal

  5. #45

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    So few words, yet so much irony.
    Irony Assessments: the sophisticated way to say "I know you are but what am I".

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    a-baaaaaawwwwwwwwww.
    ah, since I see that you've written a second post, which I will also not bother to read I suppose this would be an opportune time to warn you of our Fearless Leader Amelia's well known hatred of anything, and everything Mac. If you're not a PC you shall feel her wrath.

  7. #47
    ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Fransisco
    Posts
    2,938

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    ah, since I see that you've written a second post, which I will also not bother to read I suppose this would be an opportune time to warn you of our Fearless Leader Amelia's well known hatred of anything, and everything Mac. If you're not a PC you shall feel her wrath.
    I don't want to speak for her, but as I understand it, Amelia likes Mac products just fine and is equally comfortable using either platform to get work done. It's the wrong headed zealots that are the problem.

    Something to think about.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Whatever pain this causes for the girl is the legal system's fault. You can't ask somebody to accept a little suffering so you won't inflict the greater on a third party, and then blame them for what you're doing if they won't. .
    Huh, well this would seem to support Raza's views a bit. Unless of course you don't happen to care what the woman, who was the victim has to say about these things

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/29/...ile/index.html

  9. #49
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    You can't always prosecute depending on what the victim has to say about a case.
    Victims can have many reasons for not cooperating.
    Like most domestic violence cases, the victim will say,
    "But I don't want my loved one to go to jail!"

    And so they don't press charges. That's why they now go off the evidence, regardless if the victim wants to testify or press charges. It helps if they do, but the goal is to get the violent person off the streets, so they don't hurt someone else. And that's kind of how I see cases like this one with Polanski. The main goal is to punish people who **** young girls. Even if they run and hide. How do you know he hasn't been raping other girls over in europe? To me, the main goal of punishing him now, is to show other rapists and *********s, that even if you have money, and even if you run and hide, the law will eventually catch up to you, and you will eventually pay for your crimes. As I mentioned before, if he really has changed, and if he feels bad about what he did, then he should have come back to the USA to face the charges, and face the punishment for his actions. That would have been the honorable thing to do. My guess is that he didn't think it was wrong back then, and he probably still doesn't think it was wrong, and doesn't want to face the punishment.

  10. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    The main goal is to punish people who **** young girls. Even if they run and hide.
    I totally agree with you here. Another issue is that the victim in this case sued Polanski and they reached an undisclosed settlement. This isn't necessarily to say anything to this specific victim, but it would be a huge problem if prosecutions and sentencing couldn't occur if the victim disagreed with them, especially when this disagreement comes after reaching an undisclosed settlement. At that point you're pretty much allowing all sorts of crimes to take place as long as the person has the cash to pay for them.

    Also, Polanski is facing new charges unrelated to the victim in that he failed to appear. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aza View Post
    ...I'd like to say that, if he and I didn't share film directing as a hobby, I wouldn't even know his name. His movies were alright; nothing overly special. Now, however, he has been over-hyped to the point where I'm starting to reluctantly hate him... like how my suite mate taught me to hate Aerosmith (an otherwise-unhatable band) during my Freshman year of college. What's worse, I hate myself for hating him because I realize the only reason I hate him is because I've grown to hate hearing about him!...
    It seems we share a few things in common. I knew about Polanski because of learning about Manson/Tate, but studied his work in film school, where I also developed a "just-because" hatred for Aerosmith (SNL did a funny sketch about Aerosmiths greatest hits all sounding the same, even the band was confused on what song they were performing).

    We only studied Polanski in film school because there was a professor with a vampire fetish...even for films where it wasn't literally a vampire. He has some good films under his belt, but he seemed to me to be more of a celebrity because he was a celebrity more than someone truly accomplished. There's certainly not anything in his work that would inspire me in any way.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    . Does the fact that the victim doesn't want Polanski to be "punished any more than he already has" have any bearing on any of this? Not for me, victims aren't the only ones affected by crimes. Let the legal system handle it.
    DK- I posted the link because it reminded me of something Raza had said, not because I think Polanski shouldn't face the legal system. I just think people have distorted view of what's going on in this case.

  12. #52

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    You can't always prosecute depending on what the victim has to say about a case.
    Victims can have many reasons for not cooperating.
    Like most domestic violence cases, the victim will say,
    "But I don't want my loved one to go to jail!"
    Which is a perfectly sensible conclusion.

    The penal system as it exists today is an absurd behemoth of prehistoric sentiments painted over with modern rationalizations, going by the intuitive but ultimately nonsensical idea that rather than as practical obstacles, problems should be treated as 'wrongs', which must then be 'righted' by appointing blame and inflicting a proportional* amount of punishment on the blamee.

    This is nothing but vengeance, glorified and institutionalized as morality and kept throughout the millennia as the 'obvious' way to keep people on whatever those in power at the time decide is the 'right path'. It was never rationally conceived as a way to constructively address ethical differences and 'make the world a better for everyone', and it isn't. Yes: killing, intimidating or imprisoning somebody will stop them doing the same thing again for the time being, but that's not so much a solution as a convenience for whomever holds the power to do it to somebody else. Like government as a whole, it's simply a remnant from times where 'leaders' didn't need to pretend to be anything but self-serving in their dealings. And now, when we've finally come to demand equality in title, nobody can imagine life without the institutes of our oppression well enough to do anything but keep them as-is and while pretending they do something new and different.

    Today, we've got a basic grasp of social dynamics and psychology; we've got the logic to look at ethics with more than immediate self-interest, when our sentiments permit us. Yet, we still insist on responding to every problem by inflicting more damage on somebody on the eternal assumption that two wrongs magically make a right. At best, practical problem solving is applied beside this practise, but the public at large still demands blood regardless of how solidly the actual situation has been remidied by other means.


    What I'm saying is that every blow dealt in the name of justice is exactly as damaging to the 'greater good' as the same violence would be when inflicted on people illegally; and as a general rule, the courts swing back harder to err on the side of justice. Even if it sort of helps prevent repeat offenses, it does so through inflicting more damage and large-scale intimidation of the public. It does nothing to foster mutual understanding and tolerance or any of the things needed for people to really get along.

    There is no such thing as 'deserved' suffering; there is merely suffering. A system of ethics that needs to exclude some people from having their joy and grief counted towards the system's success or failure in order to achieve the former is never a valid one.

  13. #53
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    I agree that most people view it as some kind of vengeance.

    In this case, the victim isn't asking for vengeance or justice.

    And I agree that both of those concepts are constructs of society.

    But as a purely practical thing, the justice system works as a very primitive reward/punishment setup. If you do things society thinks are bad, you get punished. If you do things society likes, you get money and respect. It's like rewarding a dog for good behavior, or kicking them for doing something wrong. It's considered "abusive" but punishment does work. If it didn't work somewhat, people would be committing crimes all over the place. But people don't randomly kill or **** other people, because we know we will face consequences and punishments.

    So even if you see the system in that kind of simple way, it serves as a good lesson to other people who might consider doing the same kind of thing. The lesson is that if you do choose to do it, you will eventually get caught, and you will eventually be sent to prison for it.

    I just think it shows lack of character, and lack of bravery, to run away, and not take the punishment for something you admitted to doing... Regardless if you think it's right or wrong. Maybe I think it's "fair" to rob a bank. Or rob the government somehow. Ok, I can rationalize that. But I still know it's against the law. So if I choose to do it, and get caught, I am going to have to face the law and the punishment.

  14. #54
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    It's really basic, honestly. Was she under the age of consensual sex? Did he stick his dick in her? Pretty sure both of these are a "yes" which means he broke the law. You guys can go on and on about if a law should even exist...But is does. So he's guilty. So, he now pays the reprecussions of running off. There should be no reason what-so-ever that this woman needs to be pulled into any of it. He was found guilty...Period. Unless AMAZING evidence has come to light...And it really hasn't...The judge needs to find him guilty of not honoring his original sentence and make him do the time for that and the original 48 days.

    Everybody keeps saying how Polanski is an amazing director. Maybe yes, maybe no. But he's a moron when it comes to life. 48 days and he could have been a mega-director. Instead he pussies out and runs off. Fuck him. He lived in the Nazi-Jew camps, yet he couldn't hack 48 more days in the clink. WTF?

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    north of here
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones View Post
    It's really basic, honestly. Was she under the age of consensual sex? Did he stick his dick in her? Pretty sure both of these are a "yes" which means he broke the law. You guys can go on and on about if a law should even exist...But is does. So he's guilty. So, he now pays the reprecussions of running off. There should be no reason what-so-ever that this woman needs to be pulled into any of it. He was found guilty...Period. Unless AMAZING evidence has come to light...And it really hasn't...The judge needs to find him guilty of not honoring his original sentence and make him do the time for that and the original 48 days.

    Everybody keeps saying how Polanski is an amazing director. Maybe yes, maybe no. But he's a moron when it comes to life. 48 days and he could have been a mega-director. Instead he pussies out and runs off. Fuck him. He lived in the Nazi-Jew camps, yet he couldn't hack 48 more days in the clink. WTF?

    If he just boffed a willing teeny bopper, I wouldn't think it really mattered. Polanski was known for having a taste for the young stuff and that is why he was assigned to shoot a photo series of very young girls in the first place. Not everybody is going to check ID for casual sex and most people who were around then say that Polanski had sex with lots of young teenagers.

    The problem is in this case Polanski gave a thirteen-year-old champagne and Quaaludes and she still said no and he kept right on going.

    Statutory was his plea bargain, but he actually appears to have done the real thing, not just a technicality.

  16. #56
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post

    I just think it shows lack of character, and lack of bravery, to run away, and not take the punishment for something you admitted to doing... Regardless if you think it's right or wrong. Maybe I think it's "fair" to rob a bank. Or rob the government somehow. Ok, I can rationalize that. But I still know it's against the law. So if I choose to do it, and get caught, I am going to have to face the law and the punishment.
    Why?

    If you think that you are justified or otherwise right in committing a illegal act, then why would you feel that you deserve to be punished for it?

    Seems to me that if you had the inclination to put forth the effort in circumventing the law to achieve your agenda that you would want to put in just as much to curtail the justice system in attempting to get away with it.

    I';s one thing to understand and know what could happen to you if you choose to commit a crime and weigh that against your decision to do so, but I think it's another thing to accept it as inevitable and go along with it.

  17. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones View Post
    Everybody keeps saying how Polanski is an amazing director. Maybe yes, maybe no. But he's a moron when it comes to life. 48 days and he could have been a mega-director. Instead he pussies out and runs off. Fuck him. He lived in the Nazi-Jew camps, yet he couldn't hack 48 more days in the clink. WTF?
    To be fair though, he was released from the evaluation center early and was due to face the judge for the actual sentencing. The deal (which was not a plea bargain) was that the judge would sentence to probation if he went to the evaluation center for 90 days. The judge knew he wouldn't be there for a full 90 days, but 42 days was much less than he was expecting. So when Polanski fled, he had no idea what the judge would sentence him to. Under the law, the judge could have sentenced him to up to 50 years for the charge that Polanski plead guilty to.

    Polanski felt like he couldn't trust the judge, and had reasons for this. So I don't think he was so much of a moron. He very well may have gotten real prison time had he not fled, and been attacked (killed, *****, etc...). Instead, he had things pretty damn good in Europe up to now.

  18. #58
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    To be fair though, he was released from the evaluation center early and was due to face the judge for the actual sentencing. The deal (which was not a plea bargain) was that the judge would sentence to probation if he went to the evaluation center for 90 days. The judge knew he wouldn't be there for a full 90 days, but 42 days was much less than he was expecting. So when Polanski fled, he had no idea what the judge would sentence him to. Under the law, the judge could have sentenced him to up to 50 years for the charge that Polanski plead guilty to.

    Polanski felt like he couldn't trust the judge, and had reasons for this. So I don't think he was so much of a moron. He very well may have gotten real prison time had he not fled, and been attacked (killed, *****, etc...). Instead, he had things pretty damn good in Europe up to now.
    Well...No, as far as the sentencing. The judge COULD have sentenced him 1 to 15 years in jail. Chances were very good that the judge would have given him parole after the 48 days left to be evaluated because the defense AND the prosecuter wanted that. The family of the girl didn't even want Roman to get a jail sentence. They just wanted him to admit to the crime....Which he did. Roman might have believed that he'd be sentenced to jail, but that's in Roman's mind. Everybody in the case were more interested in just ending the whole ordeal. There was a possibilty of him being deported after the 90 day evaluation, but that was probably the worst that was going to happen. And any kind of "deal" to plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid more jail time than if found guilty on all charges presented, is a "plea bargain".

  19. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones View Post
    Well...No, as far as the sentencing. The judge COULD have sentenced him 1 to 15 years in jail.
    According to the New York Times, Reuters, CNN and everywhere else I've seen this reported, Polanski could have been sentenced to up to 50 years for the charge he plead guilty to. Where have you seen 1 to 15 years?

    Chances were very good that the judge would have given him parole after the 48 days left to be evaluated because the defense AND the prosecuter wanted that.
    This goes against comments made out of court by the judge. Additionally, while all parties agreed to what would happen, the judge demonstrated that he would change his part of the agreement whenever he saw fit.

    The family of the girl didn't even want Roman to get a jail sentence. They just wanted him to admit to the crime....Which he did.
    Don't forget about the $500K. They wanted more than just an admission. And he only plead guilty to the lowest crime. He didn't plead guilty nor did he admit to doing any of the more serious things the victim stated he did in the reports.

    Roman might have believed that he'd be sentenced to jail, but that's in Roman's mind. Everybody in the case were more interested in just ending the whole ordeal. There was a possibilty of him being deported after the 90 day evaluation, but that was probably the worst that was going to happen.
    I think there were some very significant comments made by the judge as well as others about the judge that showed he was more interested in giving something that stood up to scrutiny by the media rather than actual justice in this case. Don't get me wrong, I believe Polanski deserves significant jail time, but I also think that he was not a moron for fleeing the country, but rather not willing to stand up and take responsibility for what he did.

    And any kind of "deal" to plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid more jail time than if found guilty on all charges presented, is a "plea bargain".
    Polanski made a plea bargain in which he agreed to plead guilty to the lowest charge in exchange for the other higher charges to be dropped. This is an agreement between Polanski and the prosecution and didn't involve the judge. It's a separation of powers issue.

    Separately, the defense and prosecution made a deal with the judge in terms of sentencing. This sentencing deal was not a plea bargain. The guilty plea had already been given in exchange for the dropped charges. It may sound like a subtle distinction, but in this case it's very relevant because the judge reneging on the sentencing deal would have no bearing on the guilty plea. This is why there's no statue of limitations in this case. He still faces sentencing as well as new charges of failure to appear.

  20. #60
    and your little dog too
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,756

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    from tv guide

    Chris Rock on Roman Polanski: "It's ****!"
    Oct 2, 2009 05:14 PM ET
    by Joyce Eng

    Chris Rock says he doesn't understand why fellow filmmakers are coming to the defense of Roman Polanski, saying of the charges against him, "It's ****."

    "People are defending Roman Polanski because he made some good movies? Are you kidding me?" Rock said on Thursday's Jay Leno Show. "He made good movies 30 years ago, Jay! Even Johnnie Cochran didn't have the nerve to go, 'Well, did you see O.J. play against New England?'"

    More than 100 filmmakers, including Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen, of whom Rock is a fan, have signed a petition voicing their objection to Polanski's arrest on 32-year-old charges of having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, when he was 43. On Saturday, Zurich authorities arrested the Oscar-winning director, who fled the United States in 1978 after pleading guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with the girl.'

    "C'mon, man! She's 13! I've seen some hot 16-year-olds that look 18, 17 that look 18. Thirteen is 13! No one gets away with having sex with a 13-year-old," Rock said.

    "****. It's ****! **** is No. 2. It's murder, then ****," the comedian continued. "It's No. 2. Like the United States, we want to capture Osama bin Laden and murder him. We're not going to **** him. That would be barbaric."

    Rock is among only a few celebrities who have criticized the swell of support behind Polanski, 76. Jewel and The View's Sherri Shepherd both voiced their disapproval on Twitter.

    What do you think of Rock's comments?

  21. #61
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    According to the New York Times, Reuters, CNN and everywhere else I've seen this reported, Polanski could have been sentenced to up to 50 years for the charge he plead guilty to. Where have you seen 1 to 15 years?



    This goes against comments made out of court by the judge. Additionally, while all parties agreed to what would happen, the judge demonstrated that he would change his part of the agreement whenever he saw fit.



    Don't forget about the $500K. They wanted more than just an admission. And he only plead guilty to the lowest crime. He didn't plead guilty nor did he admit to doing any of the more serious things the victim stated he did in the reports.



    I think there were some very significant comments made by the judge as well as others about the judge that showed he was more interested in giving something that stood up to scrutiny by the media rather than actual justice in this case. Don't get me wrong, I believe Polanski deserves significant jail time, but I also think that he was not a moron for fleeing the country, but rather not willing to stand up and take responsibility for what he did.



    Polanski made a plea bargain in which he agreed to plead guilty to the lowest charge in exchange for the other higher charges to be dropped. This is an agreement between Polanski and the prosecution and didn't involve the judge. It's a separation of powers issue.

    Separately, the defense and prosecution made a deal with the judge in terms of sentencing. This sentencing deal was not a plea bargain. The guilty plea had already been given in exchange for the dropped charges. It may sound like a subtle distinction, but in this case it's very relevant because the judge reneging on the sentencing deal would have no bearing on the guilty plea. This is why there's no statue of limitations in this case. He still faces sentencing as well as new charges of failure to appear.
    ****According to the New York Times, Reuters, CNN and everywhere else I've seen this reported, Polanski could have been sentenced to up to 50 years for the charge he plead guilty to. Where have you seen 1 to 15 years?****

    The court transcripts. As I did with all my info I gave here.

  22. #62

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    I find it ironic that a lot of people who dissed the opinions of polanski's supporters are cheering chris rocks, but ultimate I give them the same weight. At least Chris Rock is consistent though.

    Although I don't have the hate on for his supporters a lot of people do. A number of polanski's supporters support him because they are friends who spent time around him and can't believe he would hurt someone. It is a natural reaction. I would hope your friends would do the same in a similar situation.

    Of course some are just supporting him because he is famous. That happens to most celebrities who are accused of a crime.

  23. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    north of here
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post
    I find it ironic that a lot of people who dissed the opinions of polanski's supporters are cheering chris rocks, but ultimate I give them the same weight. At least Chris Rock is consistent though.

    Although I don't have the hate on for his supporters a lot of people do. A number of polanski's supporters support him because they are friends who spent time around him and can't believe he would hurt someone. It is a natural reaction. I would hope your friends would do the same in a similar situation.

    Of course some are just supporting him because he is famous. That happens to most celebrities who are accused of a crime.

    Unlike Roman Polanski, Michael Vick did his time. He didn't complain about it and he has repented for his crimes, appears to be rehabilitated, and now volunteers for PETA. Isn't that what the system is supposed to do?

    I think that, if you think **** is wrong, you probably think someone who commits **** is wrong and what Chris Rock said makes sense. How do you think those two things do not go together?

    I do not think there is anything wrong with Polanski for being famous. I do not even think there is anything that bad about having sex with an underage girl. But committing **** on an underage girl should be over everyone's line.

  24. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones View Post
    ****According to the New York Times, Reuters, CNN and everywhere else I've seen this reported, Polanski could have been sentenced to up to 50 years for the charge he plead guilty to. Where have you seen 1 to 15 years?****

    The court transcripts. As I did with all my info I gave here.
    Ah...take another look at the transcript. The Gunson asks Polanski what the maximum sentence is. Polanski says 1-15 years, and then says 20 years, but Gunson never corrected him. The maximum penalty at the time for what Polanski plead guilty to was actually 50 years. So Polanski may have thought someone could get 20 years at the time he made the plea, while thinking he himself wouldn't serve any time. If Polanski found out that he in fact faced up to 50 years upon sentencing, it just adds to the thought that Polanski fled based on distrust and re-evaluation of the risk.

    (again to be clear, I don't think he should have fled, and think he deserves real jail time, but I wouldn't call him a moron for fleeing)

  25. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by incog View Post
    I do not think there is anything wrong with Polanski for being famous. I do not even think there is anything that bad about having sex with an underage girl. But committing **** on an underage girl should be over everyone's line.
    The point I've been trying to get across though, is that Polanski did not plead guilty to raep, he plead guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.

    He wasn't convicted of raep, didn't admit to it, and it's not really the legal issue anymore, no matter how much folks believe otherwise.

    The "unlawful sex w/ minor" charge, and charges related to his flight before sentencing are what's up.

  26. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    north of here
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    The point I've been trying to get across though, is that Polanski did not plead guilty to raep, he plead guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.

    He wasn't convicted of raep, didn't admit to it, and it's not really the legal issue anymore, no matter how much folks believe otherwise.

    The "unlawful sex w/ minor" charge, and charges related to his flight before sentencing are what's up.

    The law is clearcut so the only thing to discuss is whether a special exception should be made for Polanski. That is what the petitions are about. The **** issue is applicable because I might have sympathy if it was just the young thing, only the girl was very young and he forced her. If you can't get a girl to say hell yeah when offering her champagne, drugs, and fame, she really really is not into it.

  27. #67
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Why?

    If you think that you are justified or otherwise right in committing a illegal act, then why would you feel that you deserve to be punished for it?

    Seems to me that if you had the inclination to put forth the effort in circumventing the law to achieve your agenda that you would want to put in just as much to curtail the justice system in attempting to get away with it.

    I';s one thing to understand and know what could happen to you if you choose to commit a crime and weigh that against your decision to do so, but I think it's another thing to accept it as inevitable and go along with it.
    To me, it's about understanding and respecting the laws of the nation you are visiting or living in. If they say it's illegal for me to have a beer in Saudi Arabia, I am not going to have a beer there. And if I know the law, and do it anyhow, and get caught, I am going to have to face the penalty for my choice. It's about common sense. And in this case, about someone who is a celebrity, and thinks they can get away with breaking the law..

    If you want to put it into perspective with the beer example, let's say drinking a beer is a possible 50 years in jail. I might think it's stupid, but that's the law of that nation, and they must think it's very serious. So in Polanski's case, he probably thought that raping a young girl was no big deal, just like drinking a beer. It's about what that society thinks is immoral. We in America don't think it's ok to **** people. Especially children or teenagers. So we have some pretty harsh penalties for those crimes. So Polanski should have been smart enough to know that, and accept his punishment if he decides to do something like that.

    The beer example is pretty extreme. But let's say Polanski ***** a girl in Saudi Arabia. I bet the punishment would be even more severe. So to me, he's just plain stupid, and egotistical, to think he could get away with it. And when he got caught, running away was the pussy way of handling it. I just see him as no different from any other criminal. If I was going to get sent to jail for raping a girl, I would run too. But only because I would KNOW I committed a crime, and I would be running from pretty valid punishment. So in my view, he deserves to be captured and punished. He's just a criminal who was famous enough and rich enough to run away and get away with it. But he's just as guilty as any other criminal. And he runs just like most criminals do. So what?

  28. #68
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    The point I've been trying to get across though, is that Polanski did not plead guilty to raep, he plead guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.

    He wasn't convicted of raep, didn't admit to it, and it's not really the legal issue anymore, no matter how much folks believe otherwise.

    The "unlawful sex w/ minor" charge, and charges related to his flight before sentencing are what's up.
    On the one hand, I agree with you here...but on the other hand, Polanski is a lot like OJ. In Polanski's case, in the back of our minds there's the question of whether or not we believe the victim in the case lied and gave false testimony. Personally, I think it's hard not to believe the victim's testimony 100%, and if that's the case, what does someone as described in the testimony deserve?

    But just going back to the charge that he did plead guilty to, there's a range of sentencing (at the time, up to 50 years). With that in mind, I would see sentencing based on the nature and extenuating circumstances of the case...

    A teenage male having sex with a 13 year old girl where the male didn't know she was that young, and where the girl was initiating the encounter, and so forth would something where I would see a much lesser sentencing (probation, fine, etc..).

    In this case, there are aspects to what he did that go beyond just the charge that he plead guilty to, as described in the testimony by the witness. Thus the feeling that the crime he committed deserves a sentencing on the harder side of the scale.

  29. #69
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    I think he got a really good deal.

    His case was not a violent type thing, but it also doesn't fit the scenario of
    her coming on to him, or some kind of mutual thing.

    Since he was not convicted of a violent assault, then I doubt he would have
    gotten some huge punishment. But he would have gotten the high end of
    the "sex with a minor" charge. It will be interesting to see what a modern
    judge does with this case. They mention that cases with a minor involved
    are treated more harshly now, since there have been so many high
    profile cases with sex offender crimes. But since he is a celebrity,
    and because he's old, he will probably get a pretty minimal sentence.

  30. #70
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    It just seems backwards for anyone to be calling Polanski's greatness a good excuse to keep him out of jail. If I committed a crime, no one would take how AWESOME I do the dishes or how great I am at sewing felt robots into consideration. Its just not how life works. The only thing that should be taken into consideration is the charges against him.

    Its just fail fail, and fail.

  31. #71
    Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Born in London. Lived everywhere.
    Posts
    7,181

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima View Post
    It just seems backwards for anyone to be calling Polanski's greatness a good excuse to keep him out of jail. If I committed a crime, no one would take how AWESOME I do the dishes or how great I am at sewing felt robots into consideration. Its just not how life works. The only thing that should be taken into consideration is the charges against him.

    Its just fail fail, and fail.

    I don't know, I do really like felt robots.

  32. #72
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    I don't know, I do really like felt robots.
    You're hired ma'm!

  33. #73

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    I agree that most people view it as some kind of vengeance.

    In this case, the victim isn't asking for vengeance or justice.

    And I agree that both of those concepts are constructs of society.

    But as a purely practical thing, the justice system works as a very primitive reward/punishment setup. If you do things society thinks are bad, you get punished. If you do things society likes, you get money and respect. It's like rewarding a dog for good behavior, or kicking them for doing something wrong. It's considered "abusive" but punishment does work. If it didn't work somewhat, people would be committing crimes all over the place. But people don't randomly kill or **** other people, because we know we will face consequences and punishments.

    So even if you see the system in that kind of simple way, it serves as a good lesson to other people who might consider doing the same kind of thing. The lesson is that if you do choose to do it, you will eventually get caught, and you will eventually be sent to prison for it.
    You think people refrain from killing eachother primarily because of the threat of punishment?

    I think people don't kill one another because mostly, they don't want to. Situations in which people do want to kill each other are generally marked by extreme emotion (which tends to supersede rational self-interest and is the reason we still have murder) and large scale group identity conflicts (which often exceed national jurisdiction, and which many punishable laws are perfect examples of).

    Only crimes where the would-be perpetrator usually weights an action against its potential consequences are for-profit type crimes. I'm not opposed to appropriate penalties in those cases, although doing away with capitalism at large would be the more elegant solution.

    But in short, I think our culture of tolerance and benevolence (insofar as it exists) plays a far bigger role in keeping people off each others' throats than rules and the threat of punishment do. I also think that the penal system is an obvious product of the part of our culture that is not tolerant and benign, and stands in the way of progress that would quickly render it redundant.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    I just think it shows lack of character, and lack of bravery, to run away, and not take the punishment for something you admitted to doing... Regardless if you think it's right or wrong. Maybe I think it's "fair" to rob a bank. Or rob the government somehow. Ok, I can rationalize that. But I still know it's against the law. So if I choose to do it, and get caught, I am going to have to face the law and the punishment.
    Why? You're an individual. The 'government' is just a group of people, which you aren't part of. How come if they invent a rule and a punishment for breaking it, you owe them your cooperation in inflicting it on you?

    What if I made up a rule against, say, arguing with me. The punishment is an ice cold shower, and you're hereby informed that you've broken it. Does it now show a lack of character and bravery for you to not to stand still and nod while I dump a bucket of freezing water over your head?

  34. #74

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima View Post
    It just seems backwards for anyone to be calling Polanski's greatness a good excuse to keep him out of jail.
    Well, that depends.

    In an abstract sense, we designate certain things as crimes, and punish people who commit them, because we believe those acts represent a harm to society.

    In that light, I don't think it's unreasonable to factor in the positive contribution the criminal made or makes to society.

    In the case of most folks, however, their contribution is of limited magnitude, so they're effectively a baseline citizen.

  35. #75
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Raza:

    I think that most murders happen because people snap, and emotion takes over.
    So the logic of the possible punishment does not enter into the equation.

    BUT...

    If there were no laws, not police, and people all had guns and stuff, I think people would shoot each other far more often for things like cutting someone off in traffic, or looking at someone else's girlfriend, and all kinds of other things that make some people mad. I actually think if there was no law, and no punishment, people would probably be killing each other all over the fucking place, and for the simplest things. I want your hamburger! BLAM! I want to fuck your girlfriend! BLAM! Think about most gang bangers and criminals out there. Punishment and the police are the only reason they aren't robbing and killing and raping people all over the place.

    So in Polanski's case, he decided to do a crime. It wasn't a crime of sudden emotion. He planned it out, and he had his ideas of what he wanted to do. He knew it was against the law, but he figured she would not tell anyone, and he would get away with it. He was wrong...

    As far as your statement about the government's rules, I agree that many laws are stupid, and many laws people ignore. I break the speed laws every single day. But I understand that even when I disagree with the laws, I am still a resident here, and I know I face punishments if I get caught breaking the law. So if I really want to drive fast, and I think it's ok, I need to move somewhere like Germany, and drive on the Autobahn. But when you talk about raping young girls, most countries don't think it's ok. So people like Polanski are going to have a hard time finding a place where people accept that, without giving him some kind of punishment. Like I said, he needs to know the laws of the countries he goes to. I doubt it's legal to **** a young girl in Germany or France. And it's not legal in the USA. In fact, even if there are no laws at all, you would expect that the girl's father, or brothers, may come to get you on their own. He had to know that people would not be "ok" with what he did. It's just how life works, even without laws. Even in a primitive tribe, if I choose to kill someone, or **** someone, I have to know that the person's family may come after me, and try to kill me or punish me somehow. He made the choice. And now he has to face the punishment.

  36. #76
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    4,723

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    You think people refrain from killing eachother primarily because of the threat of punishment?
    asking a question like that is almost as bad as whistling a tune in jail

  37. #77
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by macslut View Post
    Ah...take another look at the transcript. The Gunson asks Polanski what the maximum sentence is. Polanski says 1-15 years, and then says 20 years, but Gunson never corrected him. The maximum penalty at the time for what Polanski plead guilty to was actually 50 years. So Polanski may have thought someone could get 20 years at the time he made the plea, while thinking he himself wouldn't serve any time. If Polanski found out that he in fact faced up to 50 years upon sentencing, it just adds to the thought that Polanski fled based on distrust and re-evaluation of the risk.

    (again to be clear, I don't think he should have fled, and think he deserves real jail time, but I wouldn't call him a moron for fleeing)

    Have you ever heard of anyone getting 50 years for unlawful sex with a minor? If that were true, our neighborhoods wouldn't be littered with sex offenders.

  38. #78
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind... with the exception of the last sighted man on earth who is smart enough to realize that when he cuts out the eyes of the 2nd to last person there is no one left to inflict the punishment upon him.

    I believe that expression goes: "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king."

    Take that moralistic rhetoric!

  39. #79
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    So what's your answer to the problem?

    I understand this old guy's interest in young girls.
    Assuming she's attractive, sexually mature, etc.

    But when the girl says NO, and does not want it, and you do it anyhow, that's ****, and it's not cool if the woman is any age, but we generally consider it worse if it's a minor. So if someone like Polanski forces sex on a 13 year old girl, what do you do? You don't want to punish him, right?

    So what is your answer?

  40. #80
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: How do you feel about Roman Polanski?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima View Post
    It just seems backwards for anyone to be calling Polanski's greatness a good excuse to keep him out of jail. If I committed a crime, no one would take how AWESOME I do the dishes or how great I am at sewing felt robots into consideration. Its just not how life works. The only thing that should be taken into consideration is the charges against him.

    Its just fail fail, and fail.
    I think it's backwards to call his movies "greatness" to begin with. "The Fearless Vampire Killers"? Come on. And although I guess "Rosemary's Baby" was "shocking" to a point, over the years it hasn't held up. Pretty boring if you ask me. I can still watch a movie like 1930's "Dracula" and at least be interested."The Pianist"? Oscar crap. "Chinatown" maybe the acception, but without Nicholson in the part...Eh.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. feel sorry for me and shit
    By Pull~My~Hair in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 02:55 PM
  2. I don't feel so good, but not bad either
    By Bondage Clown in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
  3. do you feel bad after being hostile to someone?
    By karyn in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2006, 03:30 AM
  4. I feel ill....
    By Mirren in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 08:50 AM
  5. Do you feel like you know when you are doing well?
    By Amelia G in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 05:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Blue Blood
Trappings | Personalities | Galleries | Entertainment | Art | Books | Music | Popcorn | Sex | Happenings | Oddities | Trade/Business | Manifesto | Media | Community
Blue Blood | Contact Us | Advertise | Submissions | About Blue Blood | Links | $Webmasters$
Interested in being a Blue Blood model, writer, illustrator, or photographer? Get in touch