+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Photography: A few questions!

Default Photography: A few questions!

I've always been really interested in Photography as an art and I'd really like to start dabbling in it a bit. I've just been wondering a few things and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

1. Could anyone suggest a good starting camera? I'd prefer a cheap but decent quality digital camera. I'd love to roll up with something expensive but I'm in the process of losing my job at the moment and don't have a lot of money to throw around. Especially with x-mas coming around the corner.

2. Are there any books or websites out there that can cover the basics of good photography? I've taken classes on Videography , and I know a fair amount about art and design aesthetic but it'd be cool to have actual resources on the subject.

I understand I could Google both these questions and find the answers but I didn't think it'd hurt to ask in case anyone has any hidden gems of wisdom they'd like to share or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Photography: A few questions!

Well, since i live perpetually at the entry level, maybe i can help.

Digital Photography Review was helpful for me to find a camera, assuming digital is what you are after.

Personally I liked the entry level Nikkon Digital SLR. I am a little our of date, but I believe the entry level is the Nikon D5000. I am not crazy about the DX lenses that come in the kit, but I am a perpetual first year student so YMMV.Also, they have about a half dozen SLR bodies, so read up and compare prices.

Despite my personal preferences, everyone I know who bought a Canon digital Rebel has been happy with it. Again my infor is a few years out of date, I believe the entry level one is the Canon EOS 500D, but read through the reviews and go to the store and handle the products. Best Buy usually carries a few if thier are no camera stores in your area.

Other brands may be good, these are just what i have experience with.

As far as books go, I have an old photo book from the 70s or 80s called Photo School. I lucked out and nabbed it for a buck from a used book store. It covers all the basics which, imho is where you want to start. Another option is to check the local colleges and see what book their beginning classes use. Or just fish around used books stores for inexpensive books.

Nikon has some free resources, but you will have to dig around yourself for those.

The most important thing is to go out and take a lot of pictures, look for a cheap class or a photo club in your area if you need a push. Practicing a lot with your camera phone is better than seldom practicing with your $1000 DSLR. Sadly I know this from the wrong side.

good luck!

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Now this is a bit of a dinosaur by today's dslr standards but a nikon d40 is a good camera to start out with. A nice selection of lens and filters to get you started and a decent price. They still sell the camera on ebay and most stores. I even see alot of news paper photographers still use it.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, most professional photographers are always upgrading to the latest and greatest camera body. But as a beginner, you don't really *need* the latest and greatest. But you do want to start with an SLR, not a point and shoot. You want to learn how to use different lenses, different shutter speeds, apertures, etc... You can find them on ebay, craigslist, etc. Even some still available new...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...764&sa=title#p

I really feel that the most important thing about photography is what you put in front of the camera. And how you light that subject. The actual camera is not the key to good photos. Some of the greatest photographers out there didn't have digital cameras. They had really ancient technology.

Anyhow, once you get the camera, my suggestion is to try to re-create the same look other photographers have done. Look at their images, and see what they did with their models, their lighting, their backgrounds, and try to figure out where they shot, how they lit it, and what makes those photos look cool to you. Once you can re-create what other people have done, then you can experiment with coming up with your own unique look. Because no one really needs another clone, regardless if you are talking about photography, or music, or whatever. Try to come up with your own personal look and style. Something different, that people haven't seen before...

Exiled

Jesus Christ. A fucking monkey could figure out how to take good photos.

Quote Originally Posted by aNTI View Post
    Jesus Christ. A fucking monkey could figure out how to take good photos.
    Why thank you for that informative and useful advice. I can't wait to see you, no doubt, excellent photography.

Thanks again for the helpful replies! I get paid soon so hopefully next time I post about photographs I'll be asking for critique of my work!

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

+ Reply to Thread