+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fear

Default Fear

When I get bored I play around and edit photos in photo shop. This two are a part of a Fear series I shot while in Canada, I would love to hear some feedback as this was the first time I have tried to make something creepy.

Photographer: Micheal Leach
    Models: Me and Kristen Jeanne and Lily Avengale

Exiled

Default Re: Fear

Fuck sake. The thread title was so promising...

and the porridge was just

photo shop eats my life. im terrible at it but i love it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

they're not believeable to me, & the fact that they are blurry is bothersome as well.

just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    they're not believeable to me, & the fact that they are blurry is bothersome as well.

just my $.02
    What aspect of the photos isn't believable? The model's expressions, the location, the desaturated color?

I encourage critique! I am always trying to improve what I do so any input is helpful.

The blurriness was intentional, I wanted to add a ghost-like appearance without doing the standard semi-transparent effect that I have done before. I'm still undecided as to weather or not I'm happy with that part of the images...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just wonder, fear of what?........the location is interesting, I've been trying to figure out what the couple things in the background are

I think the blur effect really hurts the first picture, it kills all of the action in the picture and makes it look more like they are doing her hair than trying to drag her into the abyss or smother her.

The 2nd picture the girl on top looks like she's trying to wake her up and the model on the bottom seems like she's yawning instead of screaming. So I guess I'm trying to say the models expressions aren't believable and the blur effect doesn't add anything to the photos it just makes the two antagonists in the photo look like they aren't doing anything that would invoke fear.

I doubt I could do any better but both pictures seem to lack any kind of .....idunno "tension" I think the word is.......

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Needs more blood!

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett View Post
    What aspect of the photos isn't believable? The model's expressions, the location, the desaturated color?

I encourage critique! I am always trying to improve what I do so any input is helpful.

The blurriness was intentional, I wanted to add a ghost-like appearance without doing the standard semi-transparent effect that I have done before. I'm still undecided as to weather or not I'm happy with that part of the images...
    all three of those things, actually: expressions, location, & desaturation. At first glance, the blurryness makes the two models out of focus look like they have tearstains around their eyes which draws you away from the central subject; the "victim". Since its oddly confusing at first, the entire effect is lost on the viewer. I'd like to see both of these in focus with no post production work just as comparison.

ps: if you want to see something really scary, look up the video of those girls that invited one of their class mates over for a slumber party and then beat the shit out of her for real. I only saw part of it on the news here, & I was thoroughly disgusted. It was brutal.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I actually like the lighting and photoshop work.
    The blur, color corrections, etc.
    The actual photos look pretty good.

But I have to agree that the models don't look authentic in terms of their "acting".

I had the same problem recently when trying to do an evil, horror photoshoot. Despite the fact that we had good lighting, a good set, good costumes and good fx, the models, including me, all looked posed. Because that's how the photographer ran the shoot. We would get in some kind of pose, then he'd take a photo. I actually think when you are trying to shoot horror scenes for photo shoots, you will probably get the best results if the people actually act out the scene. Like really wrestle with the person. So they are actually struggling. Then you will see their body contorting, see their face get weird looks, etc. You can see muscles straining, etc. But when you just "pose" it doesn't look real.

Well since I can't seem to edit the original post the unedited shots are posted here for a comparison:

Part of the reason I added the blur affect was because I wasn't real happy with how my makeup came out. These were done at our hotel after a full day of shooting in the studio so we were all pretty drained by the time we were shooting this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett View Post
    When I get bored I play around and edit photos in photo shop. This two are a part of a Fear series I shot while in Canada, I would love to hear some feedback as this was the first time I have tried to make something creepy.

Photographer: Micheal Leach
    Models: Me and Kristen Jeanne and Lily Avengale

still looks really posed; like something I would see on ************, no offense.

but hey, whatever, practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    ps: if you want to see something really scary, look up the video of those girls that invited one of their class mates over for a slumber party and then beat the shit out of her for real. I only saw part of it on the news here, & I was thoroughly disgusted. It was brutal.
    Got a name or location to make it google-able?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

just google "slumber party beating" and take your pick

+ Reply to Thread