+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you quit your job if you found out your employer was a bigot?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Would you quit your job if you found out your employer was a bigot?

Sometimes you have to work with people you wouldn't hang out with on purpose. If I could deal with this better, I would no doubt be financially more comfortable, but I've still worked with some people whose views I found pig ignorant from time to time.

Some companies permit employees to voice pig ignorant views in the workplace and some companies discriminate in hiring and promotions on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background, religion, and similar non-performance-related characteristics.

Would you quit your job if you found out your employer was a bigot or allowed bigotry in the workplace?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Would you quit your job if you found out your employer was a bigot?

i think i would quit if i could afford to lose the job and easily find another one. but i am a spiteful sob, and...would prolly try to exact some kind vengeance on them as i leave. such as making it well known to everyone that that was the reason i quit. maybe even try to get fired because of their bigotry. i'd just like to leave, and hope that they pay for it somewhere down the line. sure, it may not have hurt me specifically, but the potential is there; and arent there laws against that kind of thing?

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I have worked construction before, so I am used to working for, and working with, totally sexist, racist, bigoted people...
    You put up with it if you have to do it to pay the bills.
    But I much prefer working with people who aren't that way, and working at companies that encourage diversity.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

No. And I've worked with some pretty biggoted people~like the dude who ran the spirit shop i worked at this year who made my store key pink with the word princess across it as a joke and then gave me a hannah montana key when I "lost" the pink key.

it sucks but yaknow, it's just how shit is sometimes.

I'd most likely not be able to get such a job.

Maybe if they were exclusively racist, though? I'd speak my mind if they spoke theirs, and do my job the way I think best, probably in plain sight, if I were given discriminatory instructions. I don't think this 'boss' concept really works in my mind.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

No, I need my job. Like aXa said, if I could easily find a new job probably but that's not very likely. Anyway, I work in a factory where as a white girl, I'm the minority.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

no, when it comes to business and making a living everybodys money spends the same

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

im like the only white chick at Benihana, and my boss hates white women...but thats why i get paid to have to be around him. i wouldnt do it for free

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Interesting question. If it was just her POV and I wasn't constantly subjected to it, I might be able to live with it. If it impacted my working conditions, then I would try to do something about it if possible. I'd be likely to quit or get fired then put up with that kinda shit, but like everyone else on here the unfortunate reality is that id' have to carefully consider my financial situation.

Dealing with the bigoted bossman beats dealing with the bigoted policeman when he comes to evict you from your house for not paying the rent.

Since I currently work for a corporation with a vested interest in not letting people act in a bigoted manner in the workplace, I should have other channels. If I didn't... I would leave when i could, but i am a bit afeared of being without a job for too long. i would do my best to document the behavior and turn it over to whoever could fix it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    no, when it comes to business and making a living everybodys money spends the same
    Yup. I agree. If you can take more of a biggot's money by charging more, then more power to you; I clean outa assholes wallets all the time at work.

But then they're your customer, not your employer. In the ethics of capitalistic exploitation it makes a lot of difference who is the actor and who is the suffering object, and to which degree.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I've had so many employers they sort of seem like customers to me. besides, I have yet to meet someone who's completely unbiggotted....................everyone has thier pet peeves

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

First, I can't quit my job, But, otherwise, no. The stuff doesn't bother me. Spend a year in the military, you hear every racist, sexist, anti-everything comment that exists. After awhile you learn to roll with it, unless you're me and then you're the one making most of the crude comments just to see what kind of reaction you can get.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    But then they're your customer, not your employer. In the ethics of capitalistic exploitation it makes a lot of difference who is the actor and who is the suffering object, and to which degree.
    Yes, I suppose. I'm really my own employer.

And good job on that. =)

I most certainly have quit jobs because my employer was a bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Yes, I suppose. I'm really my own employer.
    So, if you turned out to be a bigot, would you quit or would you fire yourself?

+ Reply to Thread