+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arizona sb 1070 ??? seriously?!?!

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Arizona sb 1070 ??? seriously?!?!

Okay from what I gather this law says that Police officials are required to stopped and ask for proof of citizenship from anyone who "appears" to be an illegal alien. It further includes that any people who think someone is not legal MUST report it. Am I missing something huge or is this flat racial profiling?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Arizona sb 1070 ??? seriously?!?!

yay for unprecedented police and government intrusion into peoples lives..but seeing as how it's just brown people, then I guess it's A OK.

You now have no right to private property since it is a crime to have an illegal immigrant in your home or in your car. It also cripples much of Arizona's workers by making it a crime to pick up a day laborer... that is it's illegal to stop and pick someone up off the side of the street to hire them regardless of their immigration status.

I think that this will only increase crime since it mandates, under penalty, that police must act as immigration enforcement, taking their time and resources away from domestic crimes that are otherwise their purview.

It also allows police to lie about their law enforcement status (in other words they can arrest you without wearing uniforms and identifying themselves as officers) and they can also make companies hire someone that is undocumented and then arrest them for it, in other words creating a crime that otherwise would not have existed.

It also does away with all 4th amendment rights by enabling officers to arrest anyone under suspicion of being undocumented without a warrant.

So basically police can arrest anyone for any reason, under any pretext as long as it is to ascertain their citizenship status. And we are really supposed to believe that this will not infringe upon lawful citizens?

And where does the money go from all the new $1,000 fine for being undocumented? It goes to the special new immigration task force, not to local law enforcements that have to do the extra work and not to local economies that are paying their bills.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh, you guys are looking at it the wrong way.........now nobody will have to wonder anymore, and it'll be alright to just ask. Wouldn't that be nice, to live in a world where the human rights people or whatever accuse you of something because you just want to know the truth. Bah, racial profiling...no, looking for illegals aliens........ Why was arizona the first one to do this though?

Where's your green card Mr. Karl? I know that you're a Canadian!

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

It's Arizona. The only state in the nation that doesn't recognize Martin Luther King Jr's Day. How shocking really is it that they are the state that has decided to do racial profiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Where's your green card Mr. Karl? I know that you're a Canadian!
    No borders on the internets...........................yet

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

It is like a cartoonish joke out of a WWII movie . . . except, in those flicks, it was the evil Germans who would be asking "where are you paperssss", so WTF? If they were trying to think of an appallingly un-American law, I don't think it could have been much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    It is like a cartoonish joke out of a WWII movie . . . except, in those flicks, it was the evil Germans who would be asking "where are you paperssss", so WTF? If they were trying to think of an appallingly un-American law, I don't think it could have been much worse.
    Well...They could always make the legal Mexicans wear a Mexican flag armband. That's probably next on their agenda.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

"if they suspect"??

There is no way this will survive a court challenge. Prop. 187 in California actually related to receiving public services and that was struck down. "If they suspect" just won't cut it.

OEC

really, no martin luthor day?.But isn't that a day off?. So, do they work while the rest of the country enjoys the day?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

fyi, we do recognise martin luther king jr. day out here. just saying.
    carry on with the rant.
    Last edited by malcolm; 04-25-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: stupid one sided topic from the getgo

yeah, no martin luthor day didn't sound right

most of the information out there about sb1070 floating aronud isn't right either too but alas, when someone goes into something looking for trouble, they'll find it even if they ahve to make it.

personally, i don't agree with the bill either but for a whole wholly different reasons besides "it's gonna allow the "man" to arrest me for being brown" bullshit. *ahem.

under the new policy, it would require local law enforcement to follow federal set immigration enforcement guidelines, the only reason this is even being implemented is because I.C.E out here is a cowardly joke that doesn't even do it's own job.

now as for the dreaded "are you an illegal" thing...sigh.

the only time law enforcement is allowed to ask upon your citizenship is if and when a crime has been committed and they feel your citizenship is questionable.~they are not going to be allowed to pull you over just to check and come on,seriously, are we really naive (or that damn paranoid) enough to believe that the man is gonna plant officers at our work places to sniff out illegals? seriously? they've got a billion other things they could be doing besides silly things like that.

but i can see how picturing our local law enforcement as modern day gestapos asking people "where are your papers" can paint a pretty little picture what with sherriff joe arpaio being the sherriff in maricopa county and him being a regular ole dick and all. (especially when you don't live here.)

If someone feels they are being racially profiled under this new bill, they have the right to sue the city they live in or the state, the city or state can also be sued however if people feel the local law is not doing their job properly~wether it be them picking on a specific group of peeps or them choosing not to enforce the law.

as for racial profiling...meh.
    the racist finger gets pointed quite often out here, and it's not always white either but that's okay cus we all know, only white people are racists,right?

now, here's the reasons i don't like it:

sherriff joe~is gonna abuse the shit out of this~we all know that and he's not gonna go away unless people grow a set of balls and vote his ass out of office.

the money~this bill is gonna require local law enforcement to go through special training including what not to ask and what to ask to cover their asses form makign a stupid mistake of racially profiling someone.

that's all taxpayers dollars. so wil be the settlements from the lawsuits and with the opposition encouraging businesses to leave the state or to boycott the state (gotta love that)~that's a whole lot of money that's gonna be spent by tax payers to handle this crap.

and we can easily assume this will happen seeing as obama himself has decided to not allow our local law enforcement to receive federal training and they're gonna have to go thorugh a procedure that's about five years old now.

and then there's the poeple involved~this is one of russell pearce's pet projects. don't know who he is? oh, then i'll tell you.
    he's a state senator that represents the mesa area of arizona.

now, we can go into all his connections to minutemen groups and how the new times has made allegations that he has skinheads on his staff but since it's considered a foul to make acorn accustations against obama, then we should play fair on this guy's record too.

why i don't like pearce is because he basically is in charge of a district that can't eve sustain itself. mesa is a vortex for business and a ghost town in some areas so it's no surprise that his projects would have loopholes in them~which sb1070 does have. and i don't like the idea of loopholes in an issue dealing with border security.

and then jan brewer. oh jan jan jan jan...she assumed office after napolitano ~who promised us she was going to work on the immigration problem when she left and hasn't done dick about it since then,~ left office and to date, she has:

1.)allowed gun owners to carry guns into bars and restaraunt establishments that serve alcohol.
    2.)spent tons of tax payersmoney on officiating "the grand canyon state" as our state nickname.
    3.)cut out all day kindergarten, slashed the budget for ahcccs in half including the kids care program~you guys seem so savvy about our state laws out so you should know what those are~
    4.)spent tons of taxpayers money on officiating a "state horse" seriously, a state horse. not even joking about that.
    5.) done nothing to deal with our huge budget problem besides point the finger at eveyrone else.

and should i really get into john (johnny waffles) mcCain and john kyl? i'd assume their records as being two of the biggest waffles in the u.s senate and the fcat that they're only tough on immigration when it comes around for election time but then immediately flop bakc to amnesty and guest worker programs once they're back in their comfy seats should speak for themself...

no. there are alot of reasons not to like this bill.

it is an albatross full of holes and it's going to cost a fuckton of money once it's gone into effect.

but at the same time, although i do not agree with this bill, i also do not agree with most of the opposition for it.

the issues we have with illegal immigration are not a racial issue and do not just revolve aorund mexico.

oh and racial profiling? seriously? most of the hispanic people I've met out here are just as equally racist so isn't that the kettle calling the pot black?

I could go on but i'm concerned this already is gonna get a tl;dr snarky response anyway so there ya go.

interesting

very.
    p.s: and on that note, i don't think smearing the capital building with swastikas made out of refried beans is a very effective way of getting the whole "racial profiling is wrong" message across...but what do i kow.

equality should be an issue for everyone, not a selective group or two.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    personally, i don't agree with the bill either but for a whole wholly different reasons besides "it's gonna allow the "man" to arrest me for being brown" bullshit. *ahem.

the only time law enforcement is allowed to ask upon your citizenship is if and when a crime has been committed and they feel your citizenship is questionable.~they are not going to be allowed to pull you over just to check and come on,seriously, are we really naive (or that damn paranoid) enough to believe that the man is gonna plant officers at our work places to sniff out illegals?
    Wrong. The new law allows officers to arrest people without a warrant on the basis of suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. In other words it does the exact opposite of what you have claimed: does not require any other crime to be committed before they can search you.

It also requires that they do in fact come to your work at search it, or they can be sued, as you have said.

The Sheriff of Pima County, AZ has flat out said that if he told officers to arrest Hispanics that they "would do what I told them to and make up a reason to pull them over, like a busted tail light or something, which we all know is baloney."

He's also said that the law is stupid and racist and he won't enforce it.

Former Homeland Security Chief Tom Ridge and current DHS leader Janet Napolitano (AZ's real elected Governor) also expressed the same sentiment. I guess folks on the internet know more about law enforcement and immigration policy then the people whose jobs it is, eh?

the issues we have with illegal immigration are not a racial issue and do not just revolve aorund mexico.

oh and racial profiling? seriously? most of the hispanic people I've met out here are just as equally racist so isn't that the kettle calling the pot black?

I could go on but i'm concerned this already is gonna get a tl;dr snarky response anyway so there ya go.
    Our issue is not about Mexico? If you mean that it's about other South Americans aka. "brown people", then yes. If not, just exactly who are these other illegal immigrants that we're talking about here? The Dutch?

tI's nice to know that you speak on behalf of all Hispanics and apparently also all racists... but I don't think that is very compelling evidence to back up your assertions about racism.

:end snark

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    If not, just exactly who are these other illegal immigrants that we're talking about here? The Dutch?
    'F'I were ever gonna hang out in your country I'd probably do it illegally.

Just sayin'.

there's probably a lot of illegal canadians down there...and probably a bunch of those are people who immigrated to canada in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    there's probably a lot of illegal canadians down there...and probably a bunch of those are people who immigrated to canada in the first place
    Illegal? Probably not, since they stay less than 6 months of the year. But, hey, keep spending those Canadian dollars in Florida. We love it!

+ Reply to Thread