+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the legal age to get into a bar or nightclub where you live?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What is the legal age to get into a bar or nightclub where you live?

What is the legal age to get into a bar or nightclub where you live? Is it enforced? Do you agree with whatever the current drinking age policies are where you live?

nvrsetl's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: What is the legal age to get into a bar or nightclub where you live?

18 to enter 21 to drink. Fines, loss of license for business owners, and employee termination for serving under age patrons seem to be good incentive to enforce the age limit. There is a far larger problem with gang violence here. I live in a small to mid size populous and there are 52 sets of crips and bloods, MS 13 is here, not to mention other lesser known gangs. The per capita rate is alarming so I don't leave home unarmed.

To refocus.... I would like to see combat vets that are under 21 be able to drink a beer if they like. They took the oath, stand a forward position and fight, they preserve our rights..... just my .02

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Re: What is the legal age to get into a bar or nightclub where you live?

21 if they serve alcohol. Period.
    When I was in Florida, after 8pm, you had to be 18 to be in the bar, otherwise anyone could go in.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

19......sometimes theres all ages events but if your underage I think they write a big M on your forehead with a marker

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by nvrsetl View Post

To refocus.... I would like to see combat vets that are under 21 be able to drink a beer if they like. They took the oath, stand a forward position and fight, they preserve our rights..... just my .02
    I completely agree.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

It's 19 in most of Canada. I think in Quebec though it's only 18.
    When I was underage is was super easy to get into bars around here. It's a lot more strict now.

Exiled

21. i think it should be like in france were it is 16

Ages are for buying drinks, not entry, and I'm not sure whether they're enforced because I've always brought my own drugs. Alcohol's not my thing, and buying it on-location is a rip-off anyway.

I think it's 16 for beer and 18 for hard liquor? And I don't agree with any age limits. I enjoy buying minors their drinks and weed when they get rejected at the liquor store/coffeeshop; it makes me feel like I've done my good deed for the day, y'know?

I am glad they don't let 16 year olds drink around here. I remember when I was 16 and drank. I was an obnoxious fuckhead. I certainly don't want to go to a bar and deal with nothing but that lol

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    it makes me feel like I've done my good deed for the day, y'know?
    yeah, I do know, but on the other hand I have become quite familiar with the reasons why there are limits.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

It depends on the venue here.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It depends entirely both on venue and who does the night. A room rental for 18+ is generally higher. There are no major legal issues beyond wristbands and security. All ages venues do exist here. I don't know the specific laws, they can be pretty ridiculous though. For niche events, I know folks generally balance the pros and cons of 18+ and 21+. 21+ is winning out more and more.

I'unno guys. If there's an age at which drunks stop being annoying, I haven't learned of it yet.

I also tend to boycot events with age limits, even now that I'm old enough to get in myself. The older generation of our local goth scene gets incredibly stale and tedious, and I also don't want my money (or even just the cool points from my presence) to go to discriminating organizations/events.

The best parties are always the ones that don't even try to be legal, anyway.

I don't really party, and I don't have a 'niched' group of people I hang out with. Hell, I don't even really go to concerts anymore. Last one was 4 years ago.

And yes, drunks are annoying. I just know that younger drunks are more annoying. I have younger siblings, and lemme tell ya, one of them is a fucking idiot. He does stupid shit while he's drunk that he would never do sober. Stuff I wouldn't have even fathomed of doing.

And when I go to the bar, I go with a small group of 5-8 friends normally. We go, have a good time, drink some, and go home. I normally end up pretty wasted, but even then I don't make an ass of myself. I've never dealt with a fight or even argument while hanging out with my friends @ the bar. But I just can't stand this generation's 16-18 year olds. I don't know what it is about them, but they just piss me off. There's a very good reason I stopped going to local shows, and most of it has to do with them. They have absolutely no respect for anyone including themselves, and that puts a serious damper on events. Add in alcohol and it's even more belligerence and annoyance.

Also, I can't do events unless they are 100% legal. I have a house, a kid, etc. I can't afford to get caught up in legal bullshit just because I wanna have a good time.

It might vary locally, but I think you overestimate the usefulness of legality. Only the people providing equipment are taking any real risk; everything else gets lost in 'nobody is in charge and there's too many of us to lock up'.

Hell, the hippies like to bring their kids, most 'the time.

Yea, but knowing my luck, I'd get screwed. I just couldn't take that chance. Either way, I'd be hanging around with a bunch of people I don't like LOL. I don't go out often anyways, so it's a moot point. I am just prone to go places like dave & Busters because of the video games, or after parties for gaming conventions which are very strict on age requirements. Otherwise, the cons wouldn't be able to come back.

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

Minimum age for entry in Michigan is 18, though 21+ to drink, though a lot of places make it 21+ to enter to avoid people buying drinks for their underage friends.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Military town, so 18 to get in, 21 to drink and it's like that most of the cities around here. It isn't until I hit Waco, Austin, or Dallas that it turns 21 and up only. I don't care much for the 18 and up places, since I either run into one of my guys there and end up having to drive their illegally drunk ass home to keep them out of trouble, or I start talking to some girl and get ready to buy her a drink and low and behold, I notice the giant X's on the back of her hands when she takes them from under the table.

I stopped going out for awhile too, mostly because I had too much other stuff to do, but as I get closer to heading to Afghanistan I find myself going out Fridays and Saturdays instead of every 2 or 3 Friday or Saturdays just to get in all the fun with my friends. I still end up the sober one at the end of the night when we go to IHOP and avoid eye contact with all the cops sitting down at the other tables at 3 in the morning.

19, and they enforce it

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    or I start talking to some girl and get ready to buy her a drink and low and behold, I notice the giant X's on the back of her hands when she takes them from under the table.
    I've never gotten how government-sponsored anti-drug propaganda made it into a punk meme.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

The two are completely unrelated. The X's are just an easy way for bartenders to know they're not old enough to drink, because the markers some people use are strong enough that I can still tell who went out over the weekend on Wednesday. You know, in case any of them get the idea to wash them off.

Ah, k. I thought you were talking about self-inflicted straight edgers. Same symbol.

Aisling's Avatar Junior Member

Here in Ireland the drinking age is 18, but it depends where you go what the entry age is. For most places its 18, but for some, usually the more exclusive places, its 21. I've been drinking since I was 15 and never had much trouble attaining booze, but even so I'm not a big drinker these days. I might go out and get wankered maybe twice a month, which is feck all considering where I live!

+ Reply to Thread