+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What music can you treat the blues with?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What music can you treat the blues with?

Some people feel better after listening to a sad song and knowing they do not suffer alone. Some people feel better after listening to something happy which cheers them up. Some people feel better after listening to something aggressive which makes them feel empowered.

What is some music you can personally treat the blues with?

nvrsetl's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: What music can you treat the blues with?

With pride I use the name of a man I learned this lesson from, James Tibbs. Mr. Tibbs, a noncombatant, was one of several we extracted from an orphanage under attack in Kuwait where he was a missionary prior to the first Gulf War. Before he died he asked me to return the few items he had on him to his wife, a walkman with one tape most notably. After I returned from that tour I returned the items to his wife in person. After some time for her to regain composure she played the tape as she recounted his memory. He had songs that reminded him of his family that they made together before his departure to the middle east.

I've done the same and have found several songs that remind me of something happy. I have a varying musical collection but old classic rock songs put me in a better place, Green Eyed Lady, first album from Boston, early recordings from Journey. To relax I've found the soundtrack to the movie "Rush" or the first release from Enigma to calm me down. Justify my Love reminds me of a girl I had for a while in Madrid as it was playing once when the radio alarm woke us in the morning......

Exiled

lady gaga is really upbeat. or if i really need a cheering up i'll listen to HIM

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I don't listen to music to cheer up anymore. I force myself to leave the house, and do something. I don't listen to music loud anymore either after working on clubs so long. If I want to hear loud music, Ill go to work and get paid for it.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I normally listen to Tub Ring when I'm feeling sad. There's just no way to stay upset or sad when you are listening to songs about robots and cold fusion.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Any song I can sing along to in anger or passion can get out some much needed emotion in me. No particular songs/artists however, just whatever I can find at the moment.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

'They Call Me MISTER Tibbs' is such a great classic movie. Sidney Poitier did such an amazing job with that role.

I know it sounds redundant but I listen to The Blues. Generally Delta or Chicago to be specific. It reminds my of what my Mom used to play a lot when I was little and life was certainly full of challenge.

8. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to ForrestBlack For This Useful Post:

Morning Glory (05-03-2010)

I don't really get 'down', but I do sometimes have periods of undesirable lethargy; music can help when it reminds me who I am, what I do and where I stand with the world. This usually means sharp lyrics with critical insights about human society, but it can sometimes be conveyed with sound alone.

Energetic industrial beats, screeching electro sounds, subversive implications, death, destruction and the fiery end of the world as we know it... things like these always bring a smile to my face, and remind me of what I've got left to accomplish.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

type o negative cheers me up

I can't answer this.. its just too embarrassing.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

how bad could it be?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I have to agree with Forest, the Blues just take away the blues. But, not the depressing blues. Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Albert King, John Lee Hooker, and BB King all have some good upbeat songs. Throw in Allman Brothers Band, George Thorougood, and Clapton and I'm doing alright.

+ Reply to Thread