+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone see any good bands lately?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Anyone see any good bands lately?

I know I've sadly missed a number of good shows due to schedule issues i the last few months. Has anyone caught any acts that were fun? I think I need to make a stronger commitment to getting out to see new stuff again.

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone see any good bands lately?

Just this friday I went and saw Voltaire and Faith and the Muse. Both were pretty amazing. I went for Voltaire and ended up enjoying the other band as well. Voltaire made an awesome impression on my friends and I because after his set we chatted with him at his merch booth for about 20 minutes. we introduced ourselves(4 of us) at the beginning of the chat and he remembered all of our names by the end. May not seem like much but meant alot to us ;P

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Definitely. Pittsburgh has done really well this year. New? Less so but some.

I'll start with this weekend's faire and go back.

David J
    PiL
    Faith and The Muse
    Cult of The Psychic Fetus
    Jarboe/Nicki Jaine (Our last show)
    Black Tape For a Blue Girl
    Diamanda Galas
    The Scarring Party (Booked em in MN but they played here when we were gone)
    Painted Saints
    All The Pretty Horses (MN)
    VAST
    Reverend Horton Heat
    Legendary Pink Dots
    Gogol Bordello

A lot of cool locals in both cities.

Missed Hellblinki over a scheduling conflict sadly. They have done well here with industrial bands, but again scheduling conflicts on the days they played.

OEC

Man, a friend recently got me hook on Gogol Bordello and i would murder to see them live. Observe the donning of my jealous hat.

The last show I saw was Nouvelle Vague a few months back along with Soko opening. I totally dug Nouvelle Vague and while I am not that interested in Soko's album, I would totally see her live again.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post
    Man, a friend recently got me hook on Gogol Bordello and i would murder to see them live. Observe the donning of my jealous hat.

The last show I saw was Nouvelle Vague a few months back along with Soko opening. I totally dug Nouvelle Vague and while I am not that interested in Soko's album, I would totally see her live again.
    GB has a second leg of the US tour in August. I haven't seen LA announced, but they may well play somewhere in SoCal. Save a Pittsburgh booking, I'll be seeing them in Cleveland with Primus. Amazing live.

OEC

Local stuff mostly. We have a monthly psychedelic night here that I do the lighting for so I've been seeing a lot of great local bands nobody cares about. Magic Castles, Thunderbolt Pagoda, to name a few. The Flavor Crystals tomorrow night. There good, they have toured with Brian Jonestown Massacre...

I saw Dead Meadow last month. They are a really great band. I got to party with them after the show, that was super cool. They are my favorite band right now: Here is their web site // Cool music video

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

No
    Dayglo Abortions are coming to Toronto on my birthday, hopefully I can catch that show. I miss them. Other than that, the bar I frequent has local bands all the time but now I'm back to working 6 days a week and needless to say I don't get out much. Again

'Not a band person, really, unless a performance comes with a visual show. There's very few musicians I appreciate on a personal enough level that I want to see them as well as listen to them. I went to see Rotersand (one of those few) in January though, that was neat.

I'll probably end up seeing a bunch of bands at WGT in two weeks, but it's not why I'm heading there. I wish there was a goth festival with electronic music sensibilities - big outdoor dancefloors with continuous music on a well-decorated festival ground, instead of all the stages scattered across town just showing band packed after band in the most impossible schedules conceivable and a dozen different door policies with annoying security to deal with.

+ Reply to Thread