+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Local Foods

Default Favorite Local Foods

So, people on this board live all over the place, and I assume all of you eat. When you leave home (even hypothetically) what do you miss?

Being from a state renowned (or derided) for it's healthy food, I would miss my two favorite burgers, Tommy's and Fatburger.

Tommy's is a chili laden mess, but surprisingly addictive.
    Fatburger, despite the name, uses good meat and veggies and and just makes a tasty burger.

I would also miss the many local korean bbq, pho shops, tex mex joints and brazillian bbq.

What about you? What should someone definately try in your neck of the woods?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: Favorite Local Foods

Ohhhh, there's a little place here called Salsateria. They make THE BEST jerk chicken wraps. Everything is homemade and fresh and sooooo spicy. Their Rebel Salsa (as it's called) is delicious too. And their nachos.
    There's also a little hole in the wall called MacDonell Village. Famous for their gyros, falafel, fish and chips, burgers and the bestest poutine ever. EVER!
    Hey, do you guys even have poutine in the states?

When I lived in Ohio you would see poutine every now and again, but it wasn't common. Haven't seen in in LA, but it is a big city, it could be hiding somewhere. :-p

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Cafe, astro on Santa Monica in the west side will change your opinion of fatburger.

Around here, I have to go with raleigh times bar. They have great food that is very obviously made from scratch, including all thier dressings, and thier potato chips. Everything on the menu is great.

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

Boiled crawfish for sure. Even though it's seasonal, it's delicious when done right! New Orleans has alot of great food really.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brigeyboo View Post
    Boiled crawfish for sure. Even though it's seasonal, it's delicious when done right! New Orleans has alot of great food really.
    :'( that is so not fair; call me jealous. its been ages since i had any sort of crawfish. i picked up a taste for them after a visit to new orleans. sometimes i think of going back down there, for the awesome food if nothing else.

i live up here in new england, an area famous for its seafood. yet, unless you are a tourist or visiting restaurants, you dont see much of it.

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

That would be a good reason to come back, oh and I live around here 8]
    Yea, I'm always super sad when crawfish are out of season it's just so good :drool:
    If you ever decide to come back to new orleans hit me up, that goes for anyone really ;D
    ...I'm like an internet predator seriously. o_o
    I'm lacking sleep and just kind of rambleing now 8]

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Definitely pierogies.

As far as locally "grown" food goes. I'm rather a fan of freshwater fish. I definitely have tooth for Trout, Bass, and Bluegill. Hmm.. stuff them with butter, garlic and lime.. throw them on the grill.. *drool* For some reason, there's a special yumminess to food one caught one's self.

I'm also a big fan of sage brush fed venison.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Quote Originally Posted by Brigeyboo View Post
    Crawfish is awesome! It's harder to get, but it's possible to do a good crawfish boil in Texas. As far as where I'm living currently, there's no one place that really sticks out other than Dead Fish Grill. But that's just because of the Sangria Swirl Margarita and they also happen to have crawfish, even though it's fried. But where I grew up, George's Gyro Spot in Chesterton, Indiana is all you could ever ask for. Awesome hot dogs/chili dogs, gyros, and my personal favorite would be the Italian beef sandwiches. In Chicago itself, Superdog and Harry Carry's. Every time I drive home, I get into Chicago and just start craving.

Rampage's Avatar Member

Homemade mexican food. Especially birria....mmmmm...
    I mostly getting during Christmas though.

Tater-tot Hotdish. (vegetarian)

DeformedGod's Avatar Mord-Sith

I'd miss Star Burger...I'm reasonably sure it's the only one, not positive, but they have the best burgers in the entire universe and they're the size of your head.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

East Side Deli on 40th and Hawthorne. best subs I've found in Portland.
    The Grove on McLoughlin and Oak Grove has the best burgers I've ever eaten. They taste just how they smell and are faintly reminiscent of Steak n Shake back east.
    Iron Horse on 17th has the best mexican food in the south east.

and Kae's house is where everyone shows on the weekends for home made goodies. :P

~K

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by keiko View Post
    East Side Deli on 40th and Hawthorne. best subs I've found in Portland.
    The Grove on McLoughlin and Oak Grove has the best burgers I've ever eaten. They taste just how they smell and are faintly reminiscent of Steak n Shake back east.
    Iron Horse on 17th has the best mexican food in the south east.

and Kae's house is where everyone shows on the weekends for home made goodies. :P

~K
    Steak N Shake makes a damn good burger. Juicy like burgers should be.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

spicey kangaroo steaks
    so yummy just writing this makes me drool

+ Reply to Thread