+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you keep all your old computer junk?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Do you keep all your old computer junk?

I have so much old ass computer equipment in the way, but every once in a very long while, I need some old thing. I know whatever I get rid of will end up being the key component needed for some future project, but I also can't stand having any more of this garbage in my way all the time.

Today, I am trying to set up a workstation and the version of an application I like to use is on a zip disk. The company is out of business and I can not find a whole computer that has a working zip drive in the whole office. Right now I'm just missing a monitor cable from the dawn of time so I can see if my ancient tower can still do the trick, or else I'm going to have to yank the zip drive out of the half bay and try to get it going on a more current system. Ugh.

and your little dog too

Default Re: Do you keep all your old computer junk?

i keep lots of old computer junk but i can never get anything to work when i need it to

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I have old computer crap, cell phones, i-pods, etc. And I don't even know why.

I do! I'm a very enthusiastic junk collector. Even if it doesn't get reused towards its original purpose I'll probably end up using the wires or a bit of circuit board in some creative project.

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

I keep my older computers also just in case I have something on there that I need and don't want to download again on my new one.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

So, I just dug out a very old tower that had win98 still on it and then found an old video card with the correct number of pins on the output so I could plug the tower into a monitor from this decade and managed to get it mostly working again. I seriously had to run a vacuum cleaner through the inside. This is all just so I could read a zip disk. There was a whole different adventure trying to figure out what I could store the files on once I found them too. Ultimately, I am happily successful this morning, as I have one of my favorite applications from a company that is now long gone. It's just a simple little text/code editor, but it's just the thing I still use more than most. So, in this case, I'm glad I didn't make cyber-pants out to it instead.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

anyone have an old monochrome monitor with an rgb jack on it?..........those are worth a lot for the right piece of machinery

I save back about ten years, beyond that it takes less energy to just buy something new

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, I have a lot of old stuff.

Old video cards, cables, mice, keyboards, memory, CD drives, etc...

I have the same problem of assuming that I "might" need them at some point
    in the future. But in all reality, if I need a new machine, or an extra one, it's
    probably just cheaper to buy a new one. They have complete systems for
    under $500 now. And they are probably 10x faster than any of my old stuff.
    Plus there are tons of systems for sale on Craigslist and stuff like that.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

old circut boards are actualy starting to be worth money again as scrap . the plastic too

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Hell no, theres enough crap around here already. I recycle that shit, yo.

Rampage's Avatar Member

Yes...yes I do. I have a giant ball of random wires too...they come in handy occasionally.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I'll keep that shit forever. Then I finally throw it out. Usually a month will then go by and I'll realize I needed something that I tossed.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I do! I'm a very enthusiastic junk collector. Even if it doesn't get reused towards its original purpose I'll probably end up using the wires or a bit of circuit board in some creative project.

Raza, how big is your place? You seem to have alot of stuff in it.

Not nearly big enough for all the junk it contains. =P

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

Gawd, I'm the same way. That will happen to me, I'll do a nice cleaning then realize weeks later that I tossed something I could've used instead of spending more money. LOL Live and learn

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Hell no, theres enough crap around here already. I recycle that shit, yo.
    In all fairness, I also have to admit that I have not owned a computer in almost three years now. I have very expensive cell phones that serve my computer needs just fine. In fact, I'm due for an upgrade soon.

6 old crashed hard disks from different eras. 'nuff said...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Very rarely. Depending on the level of obsolescence I sell it, give it away, or recycle. My current laptop presents an unusual situation for me. I may be able to get it repaired for less than a new one, if not I'll recycle. I concentrate better with a desktop. A lesser lappy just isn't worth it. Replacement would be silly.

Skeletal LU[s]topia's Avatar Junior Member

As an IT worker I keep nearly every computer stuff i ever had, even if it's annoying old, i just can't throw it away... maybe it'll get useful some day.

That's kinda working disease i guess, lol

Register666's Avatar The Hunted

I beware of hardware but the software I put into my older computers is important! old games and programs are better than the new shit you can buy or download. and i love to play the old nintendo gameboy super mario brothers games. i grew up with them! someone ever defeted warrio at the final level??? i never! >:-(

old games were the best games ever! and those cool midi sounds! gotta love'em!

MissCheviousTess's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal LU[s]topia View Post
    As an IT worker I keep nearly every computer stuff i ever had, even if it's annoying old, i just can't throw it away... maybe it'll get useful some day.

That's kinda working disease i guess, lol
    Personally, no i don't keep it all.
    Why? Since both my parents work in IT and they were always keeping all their hardware junk
    ( as Skeletal LU[s]topia rightly observed it's kind of a working disease) so having witnessed how it works I have learned to recycle, resell, reuse if possible but not to collect everything just for the sake of not throwing it out.
    I do subscribe to the idea: reduce, reuse, recycle but I also believe that even collecting and reusing things should make some sense.

Depends on many factors what kind of hardware exactly it is. Memory Sticks e.g. are small and you never know when they could come in use again, but bigger things like old CRT monitors even I'm throwing away :P

+ Reply to Thread