+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you use a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or other e-reader?

Default Do you use a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or other e-reader?

So, my Backstage Passes book has been accepted for Nook and iPad distribution and of course is formatted for Kindle. All the book trades seem to indicate that the Kindle is in the lead having the most readable screen with the Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device and the newly discounted and nearly-as-good smaller latest generation Kindle Wireless Reading Device, but with the iPad coming up fast with additional features, and the Nook coming in a distant third.

I admit I'm still reading on paper most of the time, although going over to Kindle would surely save me some storage space and I'd be able to find books faster when I want them and have no idea what shelf and box they are in IRL. I know a couple of people who won't read anything which is not available on Kindle. I've also seen some demos of new tech coming down the pike which looks cool.

Do any of you all use Kindle, Nook, iPad, or any other e-reader? If so, which one and why? Do you use it instead of paper books and magazines, or in addition to them?

Read the full article

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do you use a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or other e-reader?

I've been useing an e reader for quite a while now. I don't have a kindle or i pad.........I actually don't want to give those companies my money. I d buy my books from kobo or directly from the author if possible, not many do that yet but there are a few. For bookswith puctures and that I've got a little netbook tablet with windows. companies like kindle and apple are big into control . Nooks are a nice reader though. I've never bought anything from them so I'm not sure how well thier stuff works with my unit......I have a...jetbook is what it's called in the states. I like the screen better than the e ink screens.

What format is your book being done in? what is it's actual printed size? the five and six inch readers are wonderful for reading just text books but way too small for a comic book sized page for that eigth or nine inches is ideal.

heh, actualy tried to buy your book from the b&N website.....no can do, shipping adress must be in the US..................well, now I know

one thing about e books...it's waaaaayyy easier to get pirated copies than to have to buy them.

oh, it looks like I can buy it here too

but not in an e format.......oh well

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Don't have a Kindle but I do have an iPad on order (should be here next week). I'm mainly planning on using it a s a digital portfolio as well as trying to use it as a way to go over photos with models after a shoot. Though, I've been tempted to see what it's like to read a book on it once I get it.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    I've been useing an e reader for quite a while now. I don't have a kindle or i pad.........I actually don't want to give those companies my money. I d buy my books from kobo or directly from the author if possible, not many do that yet but there are a few. For bookswith puctures and that I've got a little netbook tablet with windows. companies like kindle and apple are big into control . Nooks are a nice reader though. I've never bought anything from them so I'm not sure how well thier stuff works with my unit......I have a...jetbook is what it's called in the states. I like the screen better than the e ink screens.

What format is your book being done in? what is it's actual printed size? the five and six inch readers are wonderful for reading just text books but way too small for a comic book sized page for that eigth or nine inches is ideal.
    The book is pretty standard 5 1/4" x 8" size. I've seen pictures of it on a Kindle, although I have not seen it on there in person. I haven't heard of jetbook, have to check it out. I'm really feeling my way with the ebook thing, both as a reader and publisher. Like I really like to idea of reducing clutter, but I've never gotten the hang of listening to music electronically and it seems sort of similar.

I didn't think the book was supposed to be on Nook yet and no idea why it would be only US. Thanks very much for the heads-up. I'm going to check that out.

None. Although contributing to the death of the publishing industry by pirating and/or directly buying books from the authors does sound fun.

It probably won't be long before I start running into discarded/second hand ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    I didn't think the book was supposed to be on Nook yet and no idea why it would be only US. Thanks very much for the heads-up. I'm going to check that out.

oh well, one of the problems of being canadian, some of these publishers just don't want to sell to canada.................I saw mentioned that it would be on kobo, I didn't see it there yet but I'll keep my eye out, I'd like to read it.

you'll like e reader. they make life a bit less cluttered for sure. like I said before buying books is sort of annoying cause you have to jump through the publishers hoops (get software, give more info than you should have to, figure out how to transfer to your particular device etc.) but you get used to that........check out 'MobileRead Forums', everything you want to know is there, and it's where all the software developers are and all

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

no, sadly, i still have to use my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    no, sadly, i still have to use my eyes.
    they don't cause eye strain. At all. no different from a book. I read a lot. less problems than a real book cause if I get tired I don't have to stop reading cause I can change the font size.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

None of them. I prefer hardbacks or paperbacks; if I want to read ebooks, there are several available for download on android for free. Otherwise, I like actual books, and actually have a real library in my house with real books. Lol, I'm old school like that.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

my daughter says the same thing....................it's just words going into my brain so howevers easiest to get them there is fine by me

14. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Karl For This Useful Post:

Morning Glory (07-24-2010)
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

good point Mr. karl.

It's just like people that buy vinyl records. They could have 7 million songs in the palm of their hand, but they prefer plastic plates that are fragile and have no portability.

We hate to admit it, but deep down we are materialistic snobs that want stuff and more stuff and nicer stuff and better stuff than everyone else.

It's just that some people express it in having obscure stuff, others in having the most stuff, and for some they want the newest stuff- in this case the latest high tech gadget. It's all the same thing.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post

We hate to admit it, but deep down we are materialistic snobs that want stuff and more stuff and nicer stuff and better stuff than everyone else.
    I fully admit it. I love my stuff. My books and my vinyl

+ Reply to Thread