+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Turquoise (Pics!)

Default Dark Turquoise (Pics!)

New photos. Izta goes True Goth!

Well, for the duration of a photoshoot anyway. We'd decorated the cute little hat and made a matching choker on a whim some time ago; the armwarmers were a recent project by Izta, and led us to try to fill the gaps and turn it into an outfit worth shooting. The location really clinches the cliche, but graveyards are really pretty and I suppose they earned their position as the silver standard of goth photography. It worked with the colors, anyway.

My rule of thumb is that it's ok to do a cliche, so long as you do it at least as well as anyone you're likely to be compared to. This is convenient, since if you end up being compared to someone who did it better you can still count that as a compliment.

Technically, this was my first time wielding a SLR camera (I borrowed my dad's); off and by itself with about the same per-picture success rate as point-and-click, but editing from a raw format makes a really pleasant difference.

2. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Raza For This Useful Post:

Black Spiral Dancer (08-15-2010)
    mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: Dark Turquoise (Pics!)

That whole outfit is amazing but I especially love the arm warmers. She made them? She's quite talented.
    And hot But you already knew that.
    Anyway, good job, both of you!

4. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mystoo For This Useful Post:

Raza (07-30-2010)
    aXa's Avatar Senior Member

im still stuck in a oogling/staring phase, hopefully i'll have more to write later.

very awesome. im not sure if i would call the set a gothic cliche or somethinng else. it feels more faerie-like to me. it definately doesnt have anything that ties it to the modern world. no cyber/industrial looking pieces. its almost looks medieval; like someone or thing you would see in a renfaire setting. the last pic is my favourite. even her chest tattoo looks more like an extravagant pendant/necklace and part of the whole outfit! did you do anything to it? its colour seems to match the overall green tone. if i were to compare these to anything, it would be to some of aubrey beardsley's illustrations.

6. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to aXa For This Useful Post:

Raza (07-30-2010)
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I like the first one best, because of all the cool detail on the gravestones...

8. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to TheDeathKnight For This Useful Post:

Raza (07-30-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    very awesome. im not sure if i would call the set a gothic cliche or somethinng else. it feels more faerie-like to me. it definately doesnt have anything that ties it to the modern world. no cyber/industrial looking pieces. its almost looks medieval; like someone or thing you would see in a renfaire setting.
    I'm not sure that I am able to distinguish a medieval dress from a victorian or a contemporary floaty gothic one, but I suppose I shouldn't lump them all in together on that account. Still, Big Dress Tiny Hat is very popular among the local goth girls, and it seems that all of them have had one of those shoots with a scene photographer with an expensive camera and zero inspiration where they sit in said dress on a gravestone at least once. We split the dress up in a few pieces, but it's really much the same imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    the last pic is my favourite. even her chest tattoo looks more like an extravagant pendant/necklace and part of the whole outfit! did you do anything to it? its colour seems to match the overall green tone. if i were to compare these to anything, it would be to some of aubrey beardsley's illustrations.
    I noticed that! But it's entirely accidental; it's just an old black tattoo, faded to dark blue and given a greenish shine by the light filtering through trees and reflecting off her outfit. I actually took specific care not to change anything about it as I adjusted the colors on just about everything else. =P

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    I like the first one best, because of all the cool detail on the gravestones...
    Isn't it? When you only see bits and pieces of words it's easy to imagine that there's something of great mystical relevance written on that giant stone slab. It's really just sappy cookie cutter memorial lines though.

I also rather like the statue in the third picture, and spiky chains are always a winner. This location really worked out for us.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i still associate a 'little hat' like that more with Steampunk, and a love for all things Victorian. goth being what it is, and where i feel, IMO, it draws its roots from, there would be little to seperate them. the same is true for the dress, as those styles have been reused by many goths over the years.

Rampage's Avatar Member

The third picture is amazing!!!
    Makes my mind drift and think she was a statue like the greenish one behind her. That some spell brought her to life!

+ Reply to Thread