+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beauty vs. Health

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Beauty vs. Health

There was that old Saturday Night Live sketch where they were like "but you look mahvelous" and "it is better to look good than to feel good." Do you think it is more important to be beautiful or healthy? When you think of health, do you mean physical or mental?

If you had to choose between beauty and health, which would you choose and why?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default Re: Beauty vs. Health

health, always..I rather be in good shape to enjoy life then in pain suffering everday

It is not an either or choice. Sometimes I will do things I do not enjoy to be healthy and sometimes I will do things that are bad for me to look fine. It is a balance.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't really do either. haha.

hm. what do you mean by mental health?
    do you mean like anatomically, or psychologically, or in terms of spiritual or rather philosophical aspects for the mind and "self"?

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i have found physical and mental health to be one in the same... so far i have not found anyone who actually incorporated moderate excercise into their life (as in they became more healthy but not neurotic about it) that didn't say they noticed an overall improvement in there life. it is to the point where i have stopped being surprised at how much of a mental/emotional improvment as well... people just tend to be happier more in control of there emotions more in control of there life there by reducing stress and reducing the amount of personal roadblocks etc...i mean i hate to sound preacher'ish about it but if i described all the benefits and success stories i have witnessed/experienced and talked to people about without mentioning what the person was doing you would think i was some crack pot from the 1800's selling people miracle tonic for 5cents a bottle. of course taking it to far (usually in the name of beauty) is where the problem lies anorexia ocd dieting compulsive overtraining etc etc going past the point of health is no good either. plus takes a toll on your mental health b/c lets face it every now and then we need to indulge in a cheesburger or a bag of potato chips or whatever your comfort food is...

One thing people often mistake for healthy because it helps them look good is the whole "sugar free" and "low calorie" thing. A lot of that stuff isn't really good for you or nutritious and will lower your metabolism in the long run. Diet foods can really be hell on your brain and body because of all the chemicals in them.
    I think health is far more important than beauty but I am a huge hypocrite because I want to be sexy so badly sometimes that I drop the health and go straight to dirty tricks to look good--like starving and hard liquor. I'm trying my best to stay on the health track though.

hard liquir doesn't make you look good. although it may make other people seem to look good while you're drinking it, but it will make you look like shit in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    hard liquir doesn't make you look good. although it may make other people seem to look good while you're drinking it, but it will make you look like shit in the long run.
    Eh, it actually does several things for me--calms me down, gets rid of lines in my face, appetite suppressant, makes me get some sleep, and lose a little weight, but you're right about the long run. More than two nights in a row of the stuff (or just having too much in one night!) and I start looking like shit!

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I want them both!!! Hah!!! I am greedy! My mother was always beautiful, even when she died, she was still beautiful.

Cthulhu23's Avatar Dark Dreamer

I would give anything to have my health back........even look like an ogre

ugly people should just kill themselves

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by laurasbeenbad
    it sounds like someone has an attitude problem...

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

I've often found close links between beauty and health.
    If someone looks good and thinks they look good, theyr'e generally healthier and more positive. Mind over matter so to speak.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by laurasbeenhad
    Some do. Nowadays, we live an era of aesthetic Darwinism: Survival of the prettiest! And I couldn't be more grateful!
    If I had to choose one, I'd choose looking good. But, then again, I'd still be too lazy to do all the things ugly people do to look better.

... I guess.

both of course! if you're healthy, you look good: glowing skin, sparkling eyes, red lips, good hair etc.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Well...then get to it. Cause if that's how you see it you're the ugliest person here.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Health...but if you want to leave a pretty corpse...more power to ya.

You just can't live and feel alive if your health is in the slums...no matter how hot you think you look.

some people are heathy or pretty and still very un happy. You can't enjoy life without the 3 but mainly the most important thing is happyness. so I pick option c.

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSatanas
    some people are heathy or pretty and still very un happy. You can't enjoy life without the 3 but mainly the most important thing is happyness. so I pick option c.
    Option C? Material wealth?! jk

That's an interesting theory. This is going to sound very Educational Television-esque, but have you ever looked at Albert Einstein, or Thomas Edison, Stephen Hawkings, or Nietzche, or just about anyone who has done something semi-revolutionary? None of them were pretty, but I'm sure that they have done things for society that amount to something a fuck of alot greater than someone with your attitude ever will. Death is in the details. I'm not saying don't take pride in your physical appearance, but in the same respect, don't discredit people because they aren't up to your "par"... in fact maybe you should direct us to a url where we can view your picture. That could get interesting

Quote Originally Posted by sadiesucks
    That's an interesting theory. This is going to sound very Educational Television-esque, but have you ever looked at Albert Einstein, or Thomas Edison, Stephen Hawkings, or Nietzche, or just about anyone who has done something semi-revolutionary? None of them were pretty, but I'm sure that they have done things for society that amount to something a fuck of alot greater than someone with your attitude ever will. Death is in the details. I'm not saying don't take pride in your physical appearance, but in the same respect, don't discredit people because they aren't up to your "par"... in fact maybe you should direct us to a url where we can view your picture. That could get interesting
    I disagree. A beautiful mind is something different alltogether.

But yea I also agree.. the ugly people shoudl all kill themselves remark..?
    I'm aghast..

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I would definitely choose health. Personally, I don't think there is necessarily a dichotomy between the 2. Health begets beauty begets health. I think women would have a bigger issue here due to what our society tends to deem as beautiful. Personally, I'd take a girl like sinisher over the ultra skinny types that seem to win the beauty pageants etc. Obviously, I am still an aesthete tho.

I would hardly say all ugly people should die, who decides?

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by sadiesucks
    maybe you should direct us to a url where we can view your picture. That could get interesting
    I'll answer this one. here you go: http://blueblood.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1655

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

I look better when Im healthy. Eating and sleeping right, and treating my body right...so um...

Both.

+ Reply to Thread