+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethics: Stealing

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Ethics: Stealing

If you could steal from your employer and not get caught, would you? Why?

and your little dog too

Default Re: Ethics: Stealing

not if I thought the employer was trying to treat me well.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

nope not even if they treated me like shit becasue it would be dropping myself to thier lousy level...plus the theft itself has mutliple implications, buyig repalcement parts or appliances, and less money...to spend on wages or other things that are more needed..

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

no i wouldent i couldent live with the guilt regardless of how bad they treated me

I never placed me in situation like this... I prefer to be my own boss

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, it would depend on who my boss was. at my last job I never stole from them, even though by boss was an asshole, because I just didn't want to take the chance of getting caught and fired, and I could afford to pay for things. now that I don't work there anymore I steal from them all the time because they trust me. oh yeah, I worked at a grocery store, so I don't feel that it's immoral to steal food to eat, especially since I can't afford it otherwise, and it should be free anyway. I only steal from big corporations who steal from all thier employees anyways by paying them minimum wage, which is the least amount that they can possibly have to give by law. At my store you figure that the cost of utilities and maintainance is probibly a couple grand a month, then factor in it's 20 or so employees, most of which make 5.15 and none of which make more than 15 dollars and hour... well i've seen during the busy holiday season the store take in a revenue of $500,000 in one day. and that's just one store. the corporation makes billions of dollars in profit. so who is the real thief? me who can steal everyday my whole life and never make a dent in the company profit, or the CEO that makes millions a year off the labor of people who don't make enough to manage the cost of living?

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

there is a line between stealing and utilizing stuff...
    i took a photo album from one job b/c it was an outdated item all of the photo's were now digital and the album was one of 10-15 sitting on a shelf for over a year and a half... so i took one... sure it is technically stealing but hey on the other hand i got a one dollar tip while waiting tables and since i am supposed to split all tips with my partner for the evening two weeks later i gave him the 50cents b/c it wasn't right to steal that money from him..even if it was 50cents....

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i wouldnt steal from my employers ever unless i happened to work at wal-mart but thats another issue i just dont think its right to steal from those giving you your paycheck

I would never steal money from an employer, but when I have a really nasty boss that over works me and does not pay me what I'm worth I steal little things like soda and pens.
    Currently, my bosses are good people and I wouldn't dream of stealing from them. I'm at that point with one of my bosses where I feel comfortable hugging her and hanging out and chatting with her off work. How often does that happen?!! I must be really lucky!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

all the people i've worked for have been crooked and they think that what they are doing is real great and they know me real well so they'd be suprised if I didn't help myself but then they've never had anything I wanted stuffwise and they paid me well moneywise so I quess that I wouldn't

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

well i dont think my boss wouldnt notice as ive never even met my boss and as i work for a HUGE supermarket from a big chain of supermarkets i dont think they would care on a personal or moral level as there always having stuff taken from them but im not going to take the risk as i'll propbably end up with the sack and as i need the money, besides which what would i steal a jar of marmite

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

yup, they're smut pedlars anyways (strip bar owners) and their personal profit is unheard of ! I'd rob em' blind.

Nope.
    I wouldnt steal from a person unless they stole from Me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Nope.
    I wouldnt steal from a person unless they stole from Me.
    Ponders, then changes answer to No.

I dont steal.

yeah if people stole from me i wouldnt bother stealing from them id just kick their ass

HelenaHotpants's Avatar Exception, not the rule

I can say that I have stolen SOMETHING from every job I ever worked at. Never went so far as to steal money. But office supplies, food, t-shirts, CDs. Anything else that looked good at the time. I've worked crap job after crap job so I figure its just a bit of a bonus. Something to supplement my tiny little checks. If I had a boss I worked for that I actually liked, then no. I just feel like I am sticking it to the man every time I steal a ream of paper or a box of pens! Go petty corporate crime!

someone said that stealing food and stealing books are not sin....

what do you guys think about it?

i dont think its bad if its something you really need ie food or something im not sure about the books thing though but then again i dont really think stealing is that bad if you steal from people who dont need what your stealing and can easily afford to lose it as long if it is done out of some sort of necesity

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

Does pens count? haha

I adore my employer and have known him since I was 13. He built this company all by himself, and sacrified a lot to make things happen. I could never take away anything from it... except the pens, and occasional light bulb.

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

My dad had an employee of his embezzle money from him, and it changed my perspective. Not only does the company suffer, the other employees suffer, also. I can't say I ever stole from employers, though when I was little, I was a klepto. Sometimes, I still get the urge to steal useless shit, even though it's not something I need or even want.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I don't think I'd steal from an employer. Although there is one I can think of who stole from me and her other employees and her customers. And while it's not technically stealing I wish I'd have taken some of the client information with me when I was 'laid off'.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

remember when you were a kid and your parents and your teachers always said you should share your toys? well, corporations are just big bullies that don't share thier toys, so only one thing to do...

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

I couldn't steal without the immense weight of guilt. It's just how i've been raised, to just _earn_ what you need.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I would only steal their boyfriends, lovers or husbands!! All is fair in love and war...

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Some of the firms that I've worked for, no. However, been there and done that in that I allowed a good deal of office supplies which would otherwise have rotted in the stores since they had all been superceded to find their way into my car just before my discharge from the Army. That was ten years ago, and I'm still using the damn stuff.

(You want a ballpoint pen, barely used?)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

now that I've had a day to think about it what do you mean by stealing I worked at a pizza joint and the owner said theres no point starving if you work in a restaurant, do you mean absolutely everything or is ther a line somewhere?

No I dont think so! No matter how tempting I would probably not be able to live with myself if I did!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Not anything physical. I do sometimes copy software from work, though.

One time when I was 13 I stole an Iron Maiden VHS tape. That tape kicks ass.

+ Reply to Thread