+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grad School abroad

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Default Grad School abroad

I'm graduating in May (undergrad degree) and I am considering a number of grad school options. I am not going for another year or so, in hopes that I might both regain my sanity and perform locally, but I have come up with some ideas of where I might like to go. One serious consideration for me is studying in Ireland. Has anyone studied abroad at the grad/undergrad level? I'd really love to hear some experiences so I can weigh my options

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Grad School abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02 View Post
    I'm graduating in May (undergrad degree) and I am considering a number of grad school options. I am not going for another year or so, in hopes that I might both regain my sanity and perform locally, but I have come up with some ideas of where I might like to go. One serious consideration for me is studying in Ireland. Has anyone studied abroad at the grad/undergrad level? I'd really love to hear some experiences so I can weigh my options
    I went to high school overseas and it had much about it which was pretty awesome. I missed out on a lot of American trends and television and such, but that has good and bad aspects to it. Definitely a personally broadening experience.

On thing I wish someone had mentioned to me about school, once I had a choice, was that it might make some difference where I wanted to end up living.

Given that the best thing about school is the way it makes your brain fully engaged (on a good day) and I definitely think going some place more alien more fully stimulates the gray matter.

I'd love to go back to school.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

If you are interested in Australia and/or New Zealand contact http://www.australearn.com . They are extremely helpful and diligent matching student to school and program.

Ireland: http://www.educationireland.ie/ has a lot of good information. I went back to school recently to finish a JD. I've looked to the UK as well. It really isn't that difficult to study in one of the "Commonwealth Countries".

Thank you both of you, that's very helpful. I have been doing some extensive online search just trying to decipher which schools have the program I want, and that has been surprisingly difficult, considering it is not uncommon. I will definitely check out the link to see what else I can find out. If I do go out of the country I am pretty set on Ireland, though I suppose Germany wouldn't be out of the question. I am kind of into visiting places where I am ancesterally (is that even a word?) rooted.
    Amelia, how did the experience ultimately affect where you chose to live? That is something I hadn't given much thought to. I've always lived in the same place, and while I'm happy here and it suits me well, I thought it would be just as well if I lived some place else and wasn't a "lifer"

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

I'm checking out the same - the only dif is I'm looking at Scotland & Australia. My problem is I have concerns about comparable programs outside the US (concerning subject matter).

What I've learned:

Whatever your area of study there are scholarly publications specific to your subject and their should be an international one as well - find out from one of your prof about it - contact them and find out all you need to know.

Your Fed Aid will still be there for you.

Have a 3.7 or better and you and yours will have a free ride financially all the way.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat
    (if you no the saying - no offense, just funny)

My GPA is between 3.5 and 3.6- doubt it will be much higher by the end of the year. Generally speaking for music scholarships your GPA is a base requirement and then your audition means a little more- either way I'm sure it will be lots of loans for me, just like my undergrad has been.
    There are tons of scholarly publications for performance and opera-thank you, I hadn't thought about that Maybe that will offer some help. So far I don't have a professor that can offer much assistance regarding international schools, but they are there for me to talk about some U.S. schools if I go that route. So far exploring on my own has been fun, regardless :-)
    Thanks1

+ Reply to Thread