+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is Inside Preparation H

and your little dog too

Default What is Inside Preparation H

from wired

Petrolatum
    Folk remedies for hemorrhoids include the application of clarified butter or glycerin soap to the affected area. Instead of one of those, Preparation H uses petroleum jelly as a protectant, a mixer, and a delivery medium for the other ingredients.

Thyme oil
    Inflammation causes white blood cells to produce elastase, which breaks down elastin, the macromolecule that keeps tissues tight. Enter thymol, a thyme-oil derivative that blocks elastase production.

Methylparaben
    Occurring naturally in blueberries, this antifungal agent degrades easily in UV light, forming oxides that can damage skin. Good thing we use this stuff where the sun doesn’t shine.

Phenylephrine HCl
    Applied locally, this vasoconstrictor sends a message to your neurons to constrict blood vessels and contract the sphincter. It’s also used in nasal decongestants. We don’t recommend Preparation H for a stuffy nose.

Light mineral oil
    Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins. Friction, as well as periodic contact with, uh, toxic sludge, makes them burn like Catholic guilt. Mineral oil coats the area, reducing friction. It also thins the petrolatum, making the product easier to put on.

Propylparaben
    Take benzoic acid, add another -OH group at the bottom and an alkyl group (C3H5 in this case) at the top and you’ve got a paraben, an inexpensive preservative.

Shark liver oil
    Harvested from the livers of sharks that live in cold, deep water, this serves as a barrier against contamination and as a lubricant to cut down on friction and keep things, well, moving along smoothly.

Benzoic acid
    A simple six-carbon ring attached to a carboxyl (-COOH) group, benzoic acid penetrates microbial cell membranes, killing any creature that might feed on Preparation H’s biological oils and waxes.

Default Re: What is Inside Preparation H

Gawd, that's cheesy writing. 10% uninteresting fact to 90% hot air.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

man, i was hopig to at least see a short video of it being cooked in that microwave. i expect that it would explode pretty quickly, but now i will never know:'(

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    man, i was hopig to at least see a short video of it being cooked in that microwave. i expect that it would explode pretty quickly, but now i will never know:'(
    You mean, medicine cabinet?
    Anyway, I'm not sure why we're supposed to care about what's in the H sauce but I do know that it temporarily take care of wrinkles and puffy eye bags.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

and it works just as well as the $50.00 prescription stuff

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh, and it makes a decent burn ointment in a pinch

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    You mean, medicine cabinet?
    Anyway, I'm not sure why we're supposed to care about what's in the H sauce but I do know that it temporarily take care of wrinkles and puffy eye bags.
    oh right. yeah, i was prolly just hungry when i first saw this.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    oh right. yeah, i was prolly just hungry when i first saw this.
    Roflmao

+ Reply to Thread