+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone heard of a 'Green Goth'?

Zerogauge's Avatar Junior Member

Default Has anyone heard of a 'Green Goth'?

I consider myself to be a Green Goth, a goth that is interested in a green lifestyle such as renewable energy and sustainable living, and was wondering if anyone had heard this type of term before or if I could claim it as mine?

How many of you are interested in a green lifestyle like going solar, using cfl bulbs, buying local products, using rechargeable batteries and more? Do you know of any other Green Goths or Green Counterculture types out there?

Zerogauge

Default Re: Has anyone heard of a 'Green Goth'?

I'm not sure Goth needs itself hyphenation. Back in the brief period I did the Goth thing it was guitars and drums. Now you've got Goths listening to medieval Celtic music and wearing brass goggles and such.

I'd think Goth and Green are orthogonal concerns, although I once inadvertently dyed some plants black and they did just fine.

I don't think renewable energy, the environment and such have a whole lot to do with goth. I mean, it's perfectly legitimate to be interested in both, but I don't see how they're going to interact much.

Now punk, that's a different matter - lots of environmental/green/animal rights and such interests going on there. Green causes make great protest material, and are highly susceptible to promotion through vandalism and similarly fun and active approaches to tackling the established order. And hippie culture obviously has a lot to do with green-ness, with a more minding-your-own-business approach to communal living and biological home gardening. Used to be that those two countercultures were pronouncedly divided, but at least here in the netherlands radical green/left lifestyle activist culture has absorbed both. I would say that's a good thing, since both have useful tactics to offer.

Me... I'm in touch with that scene, and by and large approve of its causes, but I don't focus on them much. Other social/political fields, such as anarchy/egalitarianism and sex-positivity, have my priority. Fortunately these are very compatible with environmental concerns, so it's rarely one or the other.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Im not sure if I'm considered goth, but I do like to tinker................on second though I also like pollution, industrial waste......I am intersted in solar power even though it's a very expensive and ineficient..............oil exists because of sunlight too..........

I'm not really green I suppose.....mainly because green things aren't really.......I just spend too much time at work to see the hypocarcy(that's a new word)

Tara Trash's Avatar Junior Member

Lol i see how these answers must have been a huge help to your question ;-P
    Anyways i googled green goth, a few things came up, stoner goths, goths in green, and eco-friendly goths. Not a whole lot, but think people have defenitely had the idea for this term, but doesnt mean u cant still use it! im a closet hippie punk goth glam rock nature lover haha i might use the green-goth term myself sometime =)

Zerogauge's Avatar Junior Member

Indubitably! So yes, there are eco-friendly, 'green' counterculture enthusiasts out there, good to hear. Yes you may use it any time you want, til I get it trademarked of course! (jk) Thanks for everybody's input, all sides are always appreciated!

im not sure

+ Reply to Thread