+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling in Gothic or have you ever taken a sick day when you were not sick?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Calling in Gothic or have you ever taken a sick day when you were not sick?

At Blue Blood, we have a company policy that you can call in Gothic. I know I hate listening to someone's lame excuse for why they can't come in and having to decide whether I should pretend to be a moron who believes them to avoid having a thing about it or having to get rid of the person. But some days are just kinda shower-or-suicide. So I instituted the policy where folks can sometimes call in Gothic. Really, there are times when a person just doesn't feel up to facing the world and it might not be an [insert fake cough here] actual physical illness with bronchitis and swollen glands, but it is just as toxic to others if that person comes in to work feeling soul sick and just as unpleasant for them.

Have you ever called in sick when you were not technically sick? If so, what excuses did you give and what reasons did you justify it to yourself with. Would you like working for a company where you could just call in Gothic and not have to make something up? How often do you find the need to skip a day for no physical reason?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Re: Calling in Gothic or have you ever taken a sick day when you were not sick?

I don't think there's a person on Earth that hasn't called in sick just because they didn't want to go to work. I've used stomach problems as an excuse quite a few times, they usually don't question it. I've found any time you can't hold in fluids, people don't really want you around. At least not for manual labor. I also use car troubles as an excuse to come in late. With the crap I usually drive, it's believable.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Calling in Gothic or have you ever taken a sick day when you were not sick?

20 years ago............... once or twice. Not much point anymore

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm a pro.
    -bad cramps
    -heavy period
    -stomach problems
    - missed the bus/bus isn't runing today
    - called In lazy a couple times
    - called In horny
    - called in drunk
    -called In stoned
    -called in hung over
    - just flat out told them other more fun/entertaining opportunities came up.
    -shit, one time I even called on and gave the excuse that there was a hawk in my backyard. True story.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I call in complaining about the fucking bus (I hate Trimet, I just hate it). I blame my cat for leaving "presents" in my work bag. My shoulders and my knees take the blame for many of my days "off" and occasionally I just call in with," You know what? I need a personal day or two. See you __day." Most people choose not to argue with me on that last one. No one likes me when I'm cranky.

~K

I came into work with a dislocated shoulder last week. I said "I'm leaving to seek medical attention." They were still unimpressed, and gave me dirty looks when I came for my check later in the week.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I rarely call in "sick" when I'm not really, only a few times when I was out super late did I have to call in, I usually just say I'm not feeling well.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Only when I worked at corporate co.'s like FAO Schwarz and Crane & Co., Wild Rivers...etc but the other jobs I've had that aren't corportate like the tattoo shop..eh well if I didn't wanna go in I would lie in the beginning but I rarealy didn't go(commission, its the only way I made cash) so yeah I would tell the tattoo guys I was sick, just as simple as that.. I believe once I had to go to my parents for some emergency but I was honest. Any other problems I've ever had were just car problems or not havin enough gas money so I couldn't do anything about it, and for instance that no gas and no money was emberassing but I've been pretty honest. Now I'm just looking for a job so I can buy a car..a cheapy car like $2000 ..so when I find a job..all those first paychecks are goin to my piggy bank ...cant wait to get a car again!!!

+ Reply to Thread