+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does it take you to get over an Ex???

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default How long does it take you to get over an Ex???

So the other day I was chatting with a friend about our sad and pathetic love lives.... & he was telling me that someone told him it takes half the time you were that person, to get over them after you break up. ugh...if that's the case, I got a few more years... Bah-humbug! So what do you think or what's your personal experience? All my other relationships besides this super long one were like 4 months at the longest & I was usually the breaker upper..ha!

Register666's Avatar The Hunted

Default Re: How long does it take you to get over an Ex???

everyone needs his own time to get over it i think. i needed 2 years to get over my last relationship. the worst 2 years of my live! now i look back and i can't believe the fact that i wasted my time on thinking every fuckin day about her! back then she screwed me and i didn't knewn it and a former good friend (also a member here - greets honey!) of us told me about it. now.. i'm over and it feels great to be single!!! was it a little helpful to you?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I think I'm finished with ex'es for this lifetime.............for me it took about 3 weeks(maybe) when I was eighteen... and when I was early thirties I think the last one took 5 minutes. never saw the point in dwelling on the past I quess

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

i think it depends on how bad or how painful the breakup, how long you were together, and the circumstances of the breakup.

Spike's Avatar Member

Yeah it can also depend on how fast it takes you to find someone new. I'm fortunate enough to not have gone through any real terrible break ups, I found the love of my life fairly early and it's been nine years now. But I know others who've been through messy breakups after being together for several years. They weren't LOOKING for anyone new, but sometimes a break up is for the better so that you can let that new person come into your life, however unexpected. There's no better cure...

Couple 'hours, the one 'break up' I've had? Mostly I just slowly grew apart with people, without any dramatic endings.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i think the hardest part for me about getting over someone are the dreams. those can seemingly take forever to stop. i can tell myself im over her when i am awake and wholly believe it. but when i sleep and dream of her, then wake up, and i find myself back there again - heart on my sleeve or in my hands - reliving some part of our time together or the breakup itself. i realize then that i aint as over her as i would like to be or believed i was.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

It took me a while just to grow the balls to break up with my ex. We had been together for the better part of 16 effin' years and I was terrified of being alone. Once I tossed his ass out though it was only a matter of days before I was over it all. Being single is tons of fun! I met my bf 3 months later and we just celebrated our 3 year anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    i think the hardest part for me about getting over someone are the dreams. those can seemingly take forever to stop. i can tell myself im over her when i am awake and wholly believe it. but when i sleep and dream of her, then wake up, and i find myself back there again - heart on my sleeve or in my hands - reliving some part of our time together or the breakup itself. i realize then that i aint as over her as i would like to be or believed i was.
    I'm not sure that dreams count against being 'over' someone. Dreams are just scrambled memories, concepts and emotions - I semi-regularly wake up feeling deeply in love with people I've never been with; people, sometimes, that don't event exist. In a dream, an idea can evoke intense emotions with zero regard to how you would feel about it in waking life - taking that as indicative of your state of mind or holding it against yourself seems pointless.

10. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raza For This Useful Post:

aXa (03-24-2011), Register666 (03-24-2011)
    aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm not sure that dreams count against being 'over' someone. Dreams are just scrambled memories, concepts and emotions - I semi-regularly wake up feeling deeply in love with people I've never been with; people, sometimes, that don't event exist. In a dream, an idea can evoke intense emotions with zero regard to how you would feel about it in waking life - taking that as indicative of your state of mind or holding it against yourself seems pointless.
    this is very true, and a good way to put it. thank you

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It depends on the circumstances. If you are very clear that you are over them, and have a good reason why, it might not take too long. Like a friend of mine found out that her husband was totally lying and cheating for years. So she pretty immediately realized he wasn't the person she thought he was. So it wasn't hard for her to let him go. But if you love the person, and they are a good person, and they decide to leave, it can be very painful, and take a longer time to get over. Because you may still want to be with them, or wish things could have worked out.

I was gonna say the same thing...
    It depends on who the person is and how long you were together with the person...

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm already over mine, and ready to move on.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm still not over a few. :/

+ Reply to Thread