+ Reply to Thread

Thread: single and moving......

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default single and moving......

how many moving threads have I made here? lol.

well, I am moving again. back to portland. I arrive on the 17th of may. I am starting over with pretty much nothing..... and i'm totally happy with that.

just thought i'd share.

Default Re: single and moving......

Okay, if you're happy we're happy!

...and single eh? (Hope springs eternal...)

I am very happy.

Nothing is an excellent thing to have. Good luck!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well, if your wise enough to see that moving with nothing is alright then you've got more than nothing...................isn't that big mountain right by portland?

Ok, saying your happy is really a quick way to convince people you aren't You may want to fake a little misery to keep the, "are you sure you are ok?"s to a minimum.

Don't know if best wishes from a bunch of board mongers helps, but you got em. Good luck and we will try to stay entertaining.

I really am happy. It's for the best. Sometimes things just don't work out. I'm looking forward to being single.

Reena's Avatar Junior Member

A new beginning

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I tell people all the time, that if they aren't happy with their job, relationships, friends, city, family, etc, that they should just sell everything, buy a bus ticket, and go to a new city. Start over. Make new friends, get a new job, new place to live, new life, etc. Most of the time it will be better than your old situation. Unless you are the cause of the problems to begin with. Like always dating bad boys, being flaky about jobs, etc. Of course things are generally bad with the economy, so that makes it tougher. It was easier to randomly move somewhere new, when there were always plenty of jobs to do in the new city. But either way, it's something new. So I highly support those kinds of changes in life. Too many people stay in the exact same town their whole lives, bitching and complaining about how shitty it is. Well, get the hell out of there and try someplace new!

Bad boys are the only kind worth loving. Wholesomeness in an adult male is an unforgivable characteristic, as it implies simultaneously a lack of recreational merit and an absence of those qualities that give corruption its romantic appeal.

Bad boys and bad girls are for sure more fun...

But sometimes I get tired of people complaining about them.

"My boyfriend cheated on me"
    "My boyfriend beat me up"
    "My boyfriend treats me like crap"

Well, there are choices you make when you decide to go out with someone.
    Male or female. Doesn't matter. Same thing applies to guys who date crazy girls.

The saying goes:
    "If you are going to play with fire, you are going to get burned."

I am all for people being interesting, artistic, a little emotionally unstable, fun,
    non-conformist, etc. But there are cool and interesting people out there who
    don't have flawed and destructive personalities.

I don't think you can hold that against people very well, at least at first. Personalities are like icebergs; we keep most of them hidden under the surface when we go out to meet the world. All of that gradually comes out when you spend intimate time with someone, and it's rarely quite what you expected, whether you thought you were playing safe or not.

That said, I do favor an active approach to solving that kind of problem.

That's true, and some very "normal" acting people can end up to be
    total freaks, or very emotionally damaged. So it's hard to predict.

But in some cases, it's totally obvious that someone is an asshole,
    or that they are totally crazy, or unstable, But if you find that kind
    of personality attractive, don't go complaining to people when
    they end up behaving poorly.

I take it you dislike being complained to. =P

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine.

I just hate when people complain about things that they could easily change.
    Like people who complain about their jobs, when they never even apply
    for a different job elsewhere. Or people who complain about their friends,
    or lack of friends, and never go out to meet new people.
    Sometimes people need to accept that the problem isn't other people.
    Sometimes the problem is you.

I totally understand why people complain if they have a crappy boss,
    or a crappy boyfriend or girlfriend who treats them badly. That sucks.
    It sucks that some people are such assholes. But it's partly your own
    choice to stay around people like that. Sure, there are tons of pretty
    terrible people out there. But that doesn't mean you need to work
    for them, or go out with them, or have them as your friends...

Mm. I often feel similar about being told about problems, in particular when people have no intention of letting me solve them. Asking for help is one thing, but this tendency people have to just pronounce discontent for its own sake is a bit unsympathetic.

That said, stuff is rarely that simple, y'know? People have vastly different personalities, and abilities. The mere awareness of options often has to be earned in life, either by being pushed into things, watching others do it, or by giving one a whole lot of personal thought... there's a psychological difference somewhere between having the theoretical knowledge that a thing is possible, and appreciating it as a possible course of action applied to one's own person. 'Sides, some realities - about human nature, about capitalism - will remain true into your next job or relationship, and it can be a big challenge to predict which. People understandably want to move forward, not sideways, and while raising the bar like that can cripple the pessimistic that tendency is also responsible for much of human process, both individual and across the species.

Sometimes it takes drastic change outside of your comfort zone.

A great example is my mom.

She grew up in rural Montana, which is in the middle of nowhere, and VERY conservative.

So rather than just following everyone else, and just getting married and popping out kids and staying at home, she left. She ended up in CA, in the middle of the whole 60's hippie thing. She said the whole "sex, drugs, free love, and rock and roll" lifestyle was not "comfortable" for her, and didn't feel "normal". But she just gave it a shot, and tried living like they did, and doing the things they were doing, and found out that she liked it.

So if you see some show about natives living in the jungle, and living a natural life, there is nothing saying you can't quit your job, get a ticket to Brazil, and go off and live in the Amazon. Sure, you might die. But there is no one saying you have to get up, go to a 9-5 job, wear clothes, live a typical life, etc. If you are sick of office life, no one is stopping you from getting a job doing construction work. And the same kind of ideas work for relationships as well. If you are sick of boring people, you can try dating some crazy artist. If you are tired of crazy artists and musicians, there is no reason you can't try dating a very quiet, responsible person for a change. It may not feel like exactly what you might want, or feel comfortable with. But sometimes it's good to try something new. Especially if the pattern of what you were doing before isn't giving you good results...

That's why I responded so favorably to the original post in this thread. I always think it's an awesome idea to pick up and start a life in a new city. I did that a couple of times in my life, and each time you do it, it lets you know that you can indeed start over. You can find a new job, new apartment, new friends, new relationship, and a new life. That way, if things ever get really bad somewhere, and life seems totally fucked up, you can always start over. And many times it works out really well. Because when you start over, you can start off making better choices in terms of friends, etc. Try to correct some of the mistakes and bad decisions you may have made in the previous city....

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Im back in phoenix, pretty much did the same thing. Love ya girlie and I hope Portland treats you great=)

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Now's my chance! Wait, Portland, as in Oregon? As in the other side of the nation? Aw gawdammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf View Post
    Now's my chance! Wait, Portland, as in Oregon? As in the other side of the nation? Aw gawdammit!
    hey man, where ya been?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Stupid ol real life.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Bit late in answering, but good luck with the new life. Portland is awesome, and you certainly pass the minimum beauty requirements to live there.

Ever been to Portland, the rest of you? Seriously, whoa - everyone there is required by law to be young and alternative and hot.

+ Reply to Thread