+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are the Most and Least Enjoyable Things You've Ever Done for Money?

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Default What are the Most and Least Enjoyable Things You've Ever Done for Money?

Pretty self explanatory. My favorite earnings have come from understudying a role in an opera and singing in the chorus for the same show.
    The least enjoyable job was probably cleaning kennels at an animal shelter. Cleaning up after cats I didn't mind, particularly because I didn't have to worry about getting roasted by the sun.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What are the Most and Least Enjoyable Things You've Ever Done for Money?

I've done bathroom renovations..........I didn't really mind the work, but seeing most people in thier own homes...........well, sucks

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: What are the Most and Least Enjoyable Things You've Ever Done for Money?

BEST: Airbrushing jackets
    WORST: Working in Java EE.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Enjoyed, clipping buds. Did not enjoy, cleaning hotel rooms.

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

Wow that's a good question. I would say least favorite, working at a cafe in San Francisco where I was treated like a baby and dealt with incompetent co workers who thought I was too stupid to work at a coffee bar. I wanted to hit her. lol but I refrained. I would save favorite was doing a well paid fetish vampire shoot and also when I worked as a hotel concierge years ago in San Francisco. I enjoyed helping guests and made great tips.

I once worked in an office supply warehouse counting pens and post-its into boxes for 8+ hours a day. We were over worked, under paid, the warehouse had no climate control to speak of so over the course of the night (of course it was a late shift) it would go from 40 degrees to 100 degrees. Besides standing on concrete all day, doing repetitive, mind numbing work in an environment you couldn't talk to anyone, call in sick, breath the cardboard dust, or eat a meal that wasn't jack-in-the box or stolen by one of the crews closer to the break area. So of course the job I hated most was Kinko's. Customers can make any job worse.

Funnest way I earned money? I was a barker at a ren faire. I briefly got coffee for a tiny animation studio in Ohio. I also worked in the giftshop of a science museum out there.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm trying to think what my most enjoyable job was............actually sort of tied between chopping wood and digging ditches, alright, but not the best money I've made, but definately enjoyable

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

You know, I haven't really disliked any of my jobs so far. I even liked working in retail, but I did get a few horrible customers. I think the awesome ones made it worth it though.

The most enoyable way I've made money is by modelling. The first time I did a paid shoot I couldn't believe I was making money by doing something fun that I loved.

I gotta say, finding a job you love is damn lucky, loving all the jobs you have... that just ain't fair.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Well, prior to the economy taking a dump, I would have said that if you don't like your job, quit and try a new one... I think many times people end up feeling "stuck" in a particular job because it pays the bills, and they are scared they won't be able to find a better one.

Job securiy, senority, and wage also play a role in that DK. At least for me it does.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Well, I can say the least enjoyable thing was having to deal with some very old records that had been leaked on from the room above. It wasn't until afterwads we found out the leak had come from toilets, so it was not just "water"... Thankfully, there were no solids.

Are your records ok?

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    Job securiy, senority, and wage also play a role in that DK. At least for me it does.
    Yeah, but I know people who have "good" jobs, with all the job security, seniority, and wages you mentioned, but they don't like their job. So they stay, and stay, and stay, and eventually they feel like they can't leave, because they'd have to start off at the bottom of the ladder at some other company. But honestly, if you don't like your job, try a different one. Because this is your only life. And you spend many, many hours of that life at work. So for me at least, I'd rather do a hard job, or a not-well-paying job, that I enjoyed, than to spend my life at a job I hated... I have had a lot of different jobs. All kinds of weird shit. And some sucked, and others were pretty cool. But I know if I stayed at one of the "stable" jobs I had early on, I never would have gotten out there and gotten one of the cool jobs I ended up getting eventually.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I've enjoyed all of my jobs, it usually just came down to not being able to stand my employer.

I think working as a banquet cook at a country club was the most enjoyable job I've had. The extra plates after serving was definitely a bonus. Plus the work environment was pretty awesome.

The Army was the worst job I've had. Don't get me wrong, I loved the actual work, but the added bs, low pay, having to deal with incompetent superiors, and spending 3 of the last 5 years of my life in Iraq or Afghanistan just made the whole experience crap. I'm just glad I got the skills out of it that I did, some great friends, and money for college.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    The Army was the worst job I've had. Don't get me wrong, I loved the actual work, but the added bs, low pay, having to deal with incompetent superiors, and spending 3 of the last 5 years of my life in Iraq or Afghanistan just made the whole experience crap. I'm just glad I got the skills out of it that I did, some great friends, and money for college.
    ive always wondered how much of this was due to where you were stationed as opposed to the armed forces themselves. personally, growing up as an air force brat, and having lived on a few bases, totally turned me off to the idea of them as a career choice.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    ive always wondered how much of this was due to where you were stationed as opposed to the armed forces themselves. personally, growing up as an air force brat, and having lived on a few bases, totally turned me off to the idea of them as a career choice.
    I noticed a serious trend in the last few years and my friends that have gone to other bases notice it where they've gone too. Because of the need of plain numbers, the quality of recruit in the Army went to excrement so standards across the board dropped. The problem with that is, the higher ups made it easier for someone to get promoted into a higher position without needed to be proficient at the actual job. So, the majority of actual good soldiers that should get promoted are getting fed up that they are competing for spots with people who have no right to hold that spot and if they get the promotion are realizing that the rules have gotten so bad that it's nearly impossible to punish people for being bad at their job. So instead, they just get out of the military and go find a similar job for much better pay. That is, if they didn't just want to get out and make better money doing less work. My new job with Gulfstream pays $20/hr which after taxes still equals out to more than I made as an E-5 while deployed.

Yeah, I know a guy who was stationed in Iraq, got out of the marines and went back there as a contractor making 6 figures for the same amount of risk. Seems like a smart career move if you don't mind people shooting at you...

Rocco1965's Avatar Junior Member

Most enjoyable? "Plastering" Least enjoyable? "Stripping"

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    Yeah, I know a guy who was stationed in Iraq, got out of the marines and went back there as a contractor making 6 figures for the same amount of risk. Seems like a smart career move if you don't mind people shooting at you...
    As a private contractor you don't have certain Geneva Convention protections.

Worst: Starbuck's. It's like a badly dressed, underpaid cult and people act like babies when they want coffee. Best: Caregiver for crazy people. If I scream in public, I get in trouble. If my charges do, I get a sympathetic smile from a stranger.

Gomezy3k's Avatar Junior Member

I have had many jobs over the years... First worst job was planting trees for the Forest Service up almost vertical mountain sides...in June, getting snowed on and freezing. Later cleaned toilets at campgrounds. Second worst job, worked in a Talc mine sorting talc and rocks 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Another bad job was X-Raying car parts for defects. That X-ray could cook you if you messed up.

Best jobs were the 20 years I spent in Air Force. Although at the time I thought it sucked. Looking back I realize I had it pretty good. And working in a printing plant packing boxes and getting paper to presses. Other good job was working in an Electric Motor plant rebuilding electric motors.

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomezy3k View Post
    I have had many jobs over the years... First worst job was planting trees for the Forest Service up almost vertical mountain sides...in June, getting snowed on and freezing. Later cleaned toilets at campgrounds. Second worst job, worked in a Talc mine sorting talc and rocks 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Another bad job was X-Raying car parts for defects. That X-ray could cook you if you messed up.

Best jobs were the 20 years I spent in Air Force. Although at the time I thought it sucked. Looking back I realize I had it pretty good. And working in a printing plant packing boxes and getting paper to presses. Other good job was working in an Electric Motor plant rebuilding electric motors.
    Sounds like you have had some pretty bad fucking jobs. I'm actually impressed you could do the work. You're braver than I. :P

Best job I ever had was taking tickets at a movie theatre. Payed like shit, but was fun. I saw a ton of great films

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter View Post
    Best job I ever had was taking tickets at a movie theatre. Payed like shit, but was fun. I saw a ton of great films
    i had a similar sort of theater job as a teen. my local theater, on the air force base where i lived was run/operated by one guy. it had a big security problem with kids sneaking each other in and bringing in alcohol. the guy would run the ticket counter and snack area prior to the movie, lock the doors and head up to the projector room to start the film. there was no one to deal with a rowdy crowd, sales of snacks or latecomers.

i ended up becoming a regular moviegoer and getting to know him well enough over time. during a few of our discussions at the theater and at the sub shop next door after they let out, i ended asking him if he even needed help with anything to let me know. i ultimately became a sort of watch guard - tasked with watching the register while he stepped away for a few. did the same thing for the doors during the movie. towards the end i wasnt paying for most of the bigger grossing movies and got the occasional free snack, popcorn or soda. other than him, i was about the only person allowed up the stairs to the projection room.

Eventually I'd like to have another job like that. Seems like a zero stress job to me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    i had a similar sort of theater job as a teen. my local theater, on the air force base where i lived was run/operated by one guy. it had a big security problem with kids sneaking each other in and bringing in alcohol. the guy would run the ticket counter and snack area prior to the movie, lock the doors and head up to the projector room to start the film. there was no one to deal with a rowdy crowd, sales of snacks or latecomers.

i ended up becoming a regular moviegoer and getting to know him well enough over time. during a few of our discussions at the theater and at the sub shop next door after they let out, i ended asking him if he even needed help with anything to let me know. i ultimately became a sort of watch guard - tasked with watching the register while he stepped away for a few. did the same thing for the doors during the movie. towards the end i wasnt paying for most of the bigger grossing movies and got the occasional free snack, popcorn or soda. other than him, i was about the only person allowed up the stairs to the projection room.
    You got bigger grossing movies on a military base? Ugh, all the on post theater ever got were movies that were 2 or 3 years old. They'd be "premiering" a movie and the sequel would just be hitting theaters. And they wondered why no one bothered to pay 3 bucks to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    You got bigger grossing movies on a military base? Ugh, all the on post theater ever got were movies that were 2 or 3 years old. They'd be "premiering" a movie and the sequel would just be hitting theaters. And they wondered why no one bothered to pay 3 bucks to go in.
    yeah, well that was also true. the movies would not be very current when they came on to the base theater. i think we saw about a 3-6 month delay from release or out of public theaters before the base would get them. luckily by then, we knew which ones were any good, and worth showing on a friday or more than once. and compared to the prices of our local off base theaters, that $2-3 was a steal on just about any reel.

+ Reply to Thread