+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Makeup advice? No, seriously...

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Default Makeup advice? No, seriously...

I like to wear quite a bit of eye makeup when I go out ( eye liner particularly) and while it always looks fab for the first half of the night usually by the end of it I look like I
    a) got punched in the face
    b) was crying hysterically
    or
    c) am wearing a raccoon costume.

Since none of those are intended results and I know other people can pull this off successfully does anyone have any tips on what type of eyeliner to buy that won't smear, or some other trick for getting it to stay in place?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: Makeup advice? No, seriously...

I have that problem too. What usually works for me is, after I've put on my eyeliner I'll wet a small angled make up brush and put powder shadow on top of it. It gives a good smudgy look as well. I still haven't found a really good brand of liner though. Most make up seems to just melt right off my face or disappears altogether.

I prefer the smudgy kind over the disappeary kind, and fortunately those're available real cheap here, so I've learned to live with the smears.

What I do a couple of times a night is just visit a bathroom, look in the mirror and wipe the skin below my eyes clean with my fingers. It's simple, and after a while you get the movement in your fingers well enough that you can do a neat job of it even without a mirror if necessary.

Yes, I do that too Raza. Constantly!

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

use primer. It keeps even cheap makeup in place. also, replace your mascara often. when it gets too old(a month) it will start flaking, and that will add to the raccoon look. I'm also not trying to sound snobby, but don't use cheap eye makeup. It goes bad before the good stuff. try setting your eye makeup with powder after too. I like bare minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire
    I'm also not trying to sound snobby, but don't use cheap eye makeup. It goes bad before the good stuff.
    I bought ~50 eyeliner pencils for 25 cents each from an excess stock dump two years ago; they last me to (and will, well beyond) this day, and they're still perfectly fine.

M'not saying there aren't big differences in quality out there, but expensive doesn't equal good and cheap doesn't equal shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I prefer the smudgy kind over the disappeary kind, and fortunately those're available real cheap here, so I've learned to live with the smears.

What I do a couple of times a night is just visit a bathroom, look in the mirror and wipe the skin below my eyes clean with my fingers. It's simple, and after a while you get the movement in your fingers well enough that you can do a neat job of it even without a mirror if necessary.
    I've mastered the no mirror pinky wipe. I've gotten pretty adept at fixing the makeup since I have to so often.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    use primer. It keeps even cheap makeup in place. also, replace your mascara often. when it gets too old(a month) it will start flaking, and that will add to the raccoon look. I'm also not trying to sound snobby, but don't use cheap eye makeup. It goes bad before the good stuff. try setting your eye makeup with powder after too. I like bare minerals.
    I’ve used foundation in an attempt to keep the liner in place, as well as dusting it with a little eyeshadow afterwards. I wasn’t aware that they actually made primer makeup. Probably because I buy the cheap stuff lol . But the expensive stuff cuts into my going out money… and then what’s the point in looking cute at home? Yes, I am definitely guilty of not replacing mascara often enough. Most of my problem end up being smears and not flakes, but I'm sure that contributes.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm with Voltaire, particularly for primer and foundation. Get good ones of those. Sometimes, if you get the heavy coverage primer or foundation intended for 80-year-old grannies, it will stay better when you are sweating in a club. I find that my mascara is usually good for six months or so. Meaning I replace it once every year or two, which kinda sucks. I like a combination of crayon eyeliner and liquid. I find that some environments smudge or disappear one more than the other, so it is kinda insurance to have both. I put the crayon on first. And, like Voltaire said, set everything with powder. I like to then set the powder with a water aerosol. The Evian ones are great and last quite a while, as you only need a little water to set your makeup, but refillable water bottles with a fairly fine mist are okay too and cheaper.

10. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Amelia G For This Useful Post:

Janiac02 (06-29-2011)
    Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    use primer. It keeps even cheap makeup in place. also, replace your mascara often. when it gets too old(a month) it will start flaking
    o_O
    Who wears mascara for an entire month?

Many women. We tend not to throw our makeup away often until it is gone or dried up.

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

I have had similar problems with eyeliner but I love using cake liner. you just wet the brush and it gives you a nice line and you can smudge if you like too. I use Laura Mercier's liner. It lasts a long time too.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyViolence View Post
    I have had similar problems with eyeliner but I love using cake liner. you just wet the brush and it gives you a nice line and you can smudge if you like too. I use Laura Mercier's liner. It lasts a long time too.
    I will look it up! Thanks

I'm with Voltaire, particularly for primer and foundation. Get good ones of those. Sometimes, if you get the heavy coverage primer or foundation intended for 80-year-old grannies, it will stay better when you are sweating in a club. I find that my mascara is usually good for six months or so. Meaning I replace it once every year or two, which kinda sucks. I like a combination of crayon eyeliner and liquid. I find that some environments smudge or disappear one more than the other, so it is kinda insurance to have both. I put the crayon on first. And, like Voltaire said, set everything with powder. I like to then set the powder with a water aerosol. The Evian ones are great and last quite a while, as you only need a little water to set your makeup, but refillable water bottles with a fairly fine mist are okay too and cheaper.
    Amelia- lot's of helpful tips I haven't tried yet- thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk View Post
    o_O
    Who wears mascara for an entire month?
    She doesn't mean the mascara on your lashes, but the actual tube of mascara. Silly boys...>:P

16. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mystoo For This Useful Post:

Janiac02 (07-02-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    you only need a little water to set your makeup, but refillable water bottles with a fairly fine mist are okay too and cheaper.
    This may be a stupid question but, how does water help set make up?

18. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mystoo For This Useful Post:

Raza (06-29-2011)

Hope it works for you Janiac. You just need a little water and it lasts a long time. For primer for eyes I love using Benefit's primer. It keeps any eyemakeup in place all day, atleast for me. It also can intensify colors if you don't want to use water in ur eyeshadows. Many techniques!

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    She doesn't mean the mascara on your lashes, but the actual tube of mascara. Silly boys...>:P
    AH!
    Color me no longer confused

I was like damn, how often does she change her underwear, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk View Post
    AH!
    Color me no longer confused

I was like damn, how often does she change her underwear, then?
    haha... I didn't understand the shock. I get it now. I'm glad that there was a little clarity provided. Of course underwear is another matter entirely. That gets changed at least once a day. More for special occasions I appreciate good hygiene

hehe. You know what has cool techniques for makeup effects that are easy to do Janiac? It sounds strange, but I've gotten great tips on youtube for different effects and inspiration. And p.S I agree, good hygiene is important. hehe <3

Youtube is great for all kinds of things. I've found lots of helpful tips around Halloween (I now rock at zombie makeup), and for 30's era hair. Never gave much thought to looking for every day makeup tricks. That's a good idea. Will give me something to do at work besides peruse the BlueBlood boards as well :-)

Exactly!

vulfgrl's Avatar Tainted

I put on my eyeshadow, then liner. I do not line all the way around my eyes. I line my top lid, then a little over half way of my bottom lid. After lining, I'll gently swipe at the line with an eyeshadow brush, then line it again to make it darker, then smudge again. Then I put foundation and powder under my eyes, but not too thick. It usually lasts pretty well. Hope I explained that clearly enough.

I do some of that as well currently, but I'll adjust my routine (and my brand of eyeliner, probably) and with all of the sound advice I've received I'm sure I should be able to prevent myself from looking like I've been in a nasty barfight.

Hehe sometimes that can look sexy though. hehe

28. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to RubyViolence For This Useful Post:

Raza (07-07-2011)

ha yes I suppose you're right. I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those people, but I s'pose I could be wrong

You never know if you don't try.

If I test it out I'll be sure to post pictures

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread, but do you wear liquid or or pencil liner? From my experience, pencil liner smudges and looks gross after a day, but liquid liner has a lot of staying power. (Once you let it dry, of course). It's a bit tricky to get the hang of it, but once you use it you'll never go back to pencil. And I just use the cheap Revlon shit. It even stays perfect when I sleep in it!

Oh, and foundation or primer also help, like Rubyviolence suggested.

That's a good point. I like the ease of use with eye pencils, so I prefer them (also I manage to get liquid eyeliner in my eye whenever I use it and that shit BURNS lol), however, that does stay like it's permanent marker. Maybe it's time to switch it up. Plus it really does look great, and I usually make it pretty thick anyway.

Once you get the hang of it, liquid is much easier. I swear! And it makes for a neater line. I do admit it burns like hell when you get it in your eyes though. :P

If you're going to give it a try, they come in brush, felt, or "marker" tips. If you're just learning, I'd recommend a felt tip because they're pretty easy to control. Brush tips are the best once you're comfortable with it, they're super precise and don't go all ragged after a while like felt ones. And I've never used a marker type liner that has been any good.

Hope that helped, sorry for rambling, I could go on and on about makeup forever. :P Let me know if you need any tips.

I think I'll go for the brush. I hated the felt tips, and if the marker sucks that bad I won't even try it. Maybe it'll make for some interesting looks while I'm practicing. I'm pretty decent at doing eye makeup though. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll be experimenting with some things this week probably.

Yeah brushes are definitely my personal favorite. You should post some photos of your makeup adventures.

I will do so!

+ Reply to Thread