+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you "domestic?"

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

Default Are you "domestic?"

As much as I appreciate being a modern female, I could definitely make a great housewife.
    I try to clean the house and bake something every day, and I'm also an avid sewer. I find these things
    really relaxing, and I'm pretty sure my s.o. doesn't mind either. :p

What are some traditional homemaker type things you guys enjoy? Or do you try to avoid it?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Are you "domestic?"

I don't like dirt, but I am monumentally untidy.

I've learned to cook pretty well in the past couple years. I could always make a steak or reheat leftovers the right way, that sort of thing. But now I make all sorts of things from scratch, which I like because it means I can control the ingredients to be all organic or low-cal or dairy-free or whatever. I can't digest cow milk without a pill and I prefer not to have too many preservatives and such. A few of the recipes I'm most pleased about making from scratch are marshmallows, mac and cheese, pizza, and barbecue sauce. As an ex-New Yorker, I'm especially pleased to be able to make my own pizza, instead of eating the Los Angeles excuses for pizza.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

me, not very....except for that odd time when I go psychotic and then everything has to be clinical...I'd cook if I had to but I don't like owning dishes or having food in my space...also I've never really owned furniture much because it just makes space harder to clean when I have to...........................but I have a mistress/companion who just loves doing all that domestic stuff so I just have to pay the bills and she makes it look like people live there.......and she actually knows how to decorate in a way that doesn't make me want to barf when I come home at the end of the day

yay

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I love to cook! My kitchen right is so small though that I don't like being in there for too long. I'm moving soon to a place with a huge kitchen so I'm looking forward to that. I do not enjoy cleaning but I do it anyway, y'know.

I much prefer making messes to cleaning them up and Izta does most of our cooking, but I take a line of speed and spend a day making the place liveable again once in a while when it gets too bad. It works... this way I can live without feeling I should be cleaning, and clean without not wanting to.

I wish my boyfriend could take some tips from you guys. :P There's nothing wrong with making a mess as long as you clean it up after.
    As you can probably tell I'm extremely anal about cleanliness, I'm trying to be a bit more laid back, but we'll see how far I get. :P

I wish I could get better at cooking though, I'm pretty mediocre. But I definitely make some impressive muffins and cookies.

Amelia G: Do you use non-dairy substitutes for cheese as well? I'm actually a vegan and I've recently come across this amazing cheese
    made from cashews. Because cheese made from tofu can be pretty nasty. I definitely prefer to make everything from scratch as well.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I do a lot of cooking. Many times it becomes an all day event. I tend to do my cooking all from scratch as to me food doesn't taste right when it's processed. I have to have control over the spices and such that goes into. I guess takes the meaning of that for whatever it's worth. Hidden OCD i supposed.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I make beer, wine - bake occasionally and smoke some pork often. I moved to a lakefront house in GA so I fish, we got peaches and walnuts on the property. The wife handles the decorative stuff but I do the bulk of the planting and home maintenance, small plumbing and electrical jobs.

Because the economy is going to imminently crash I'm getting in some chickens and rabbits for meat and more ammo so looters don't decide they can stroll up and walk off with them.

Yay for complete economic collapse.

I'm not getting my hopes too far up yet, though.

getting ammo for the economic collapse is probably one of the reasons the economy could collapse............am I the only one who stocks up on the tools necassery to make the guns and ammo?..........for when the economy collapses of course............bah, I can probably make my own economy if I had to too

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk View Post
    I make beer, wine - bake occasionally and smoke some pork often. I moved to a lakefront house in GA so I fish, we got peaches and walnuts on the property. The wife handles the decorative stuff but I do the bulk of the planting and home maintenance, small plumbing and electrical jobs.

Because the economy is going to imminently crash I'm getting in some chickens and rabbits for meat and more ammo so looters don't decide they can stroll up and walk off with them.
    That's awesome, I would love to make my own beer and wine in the future. I remember my dad did it when I was a kid, and the basement always reeked of yeast and alcohol and such. It seems like a pretty interesting process though, is it fairly easy to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    getting ammo for the economic collapse is probably one of the reasons the economy could collapse............am I the only one who stocks up on the tools necassery to make the guns and ammo?..........for when the economy collapses of course............bah, I can probably make my own economy if I had to too
    When shit hits the fan, I want this guy on my team.

I'll make us kickass mad max apocalypse survival outfits, and you take care of guns and ammo and water purifyers and crap. Deal?

sure...guns, ammo, water purifiers................and crap...... yeah I can do that

Quote Originally Posted by Sierras View Post
    That's awesome, I would love to make my own beer and wine in the future. I remember my dad did it when I was a kid, and the basement always reeked of yeast and alcohol and such. It seems like a pretty interesting process though, is it fairly easy to learn?
    Not that difficult. Crack grains in a mill, make a "tea" with them and hops.... put in a bucket with a one way vapor lock and let it ferment. Rack off to a carboy, repeat.

The only thing to make sure of is everything is sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    I'm not sure beyond a certain amount of how many rounds you actually need. I have enough to survive the initial looting. For survival purposes trapping meat or raising animals for table is actually more efficient than going and shooting it.

other people will need the guns and ammo........for what, I don't know, and they'll trade me whatever they've got in return...........and the world keeps turning

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    As an ex-New Yorker, I'm especially pleased to be able to make my own pizza, instead of eating the Los Angeles excuses for pizza.
    Think how I feel. I'm from the Chicago area. I have yet to find anywhere that makes an actual Chicago style deep dish, even though there are way too many places that advertise them...

Anyway, I've always lived with groups of people, so my cooking abilities saved me from too much other chores. Except I just moved from Texas to Georgia and now live alone, so I have to learn how to cook for one or two people instead of 5 or more. Other than cooking, I usually took care of most small home repairs and general auto maintenance and just cleaned up after myself. But in the last few days since I moved I'm definitely turning more domestic. Now I'm trying to find ways to fill empty space in my apartment, you know, once I can afford to buy things again.

I can cook enough of a variety of foods to keep me entertained and fed. I understand the theory of cleaning, I just have a hard time making it a priority. A cluttered home keeps me nimble.

As far as the post apocalyptic domestic situation, I gotta boyscout handbook and a pocket knife, so all set there.

+ Reply to Thread