+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Girls Entitled Hipster-Wannabe Sex in the City Suckage on HBO

Default Girls Entitled Hipster-Wannabe Sex in the City Suckage on HBO

The new show Girls, from HBO, is very probably the worst thing that generally excellent network has ever put on the air. I really enjoy the long form cable dramas in general. I prefer this structure of storytelling to feature films. (I almost never watch sitcoms. Unless they are animated i.e. The Simpsons.)

I confess that I have never watched Sex in the City. From the general cultural zeitgeist, I have a vague sense of what it was about. My impression was always that part of the enjoyment...
    Read the full article

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Re: Girls Entitled Hipster-Wannabe Sex in the City Suckage on HBO

I'm pretty sure I've stated it before, but I could never get into most of the HBO shows anyway, even though I currently get HBO with my network tv channels and don't have cable tv. Sex and the City I obviously wouldn't have watched if I were old enough to care about it when it was airing (I've actually left the room after 5 minutes of it when my ex was watching it on TBS), The Sopranos just annoyed me after three episodes, I don't find East Bound and Down all that funny, and it appears I'm the only one that doesn't like Game of Thrones. And has hard as I tried, I just couldn't pay attention to Boardwalk Empire. Sadly, the only shows HBO has that I like get ended way too quickly, such as Spawn and Carnivale. So, I have no intentions of watching Girls, although, from the way you describe it, I'm sure I'd be more pissed off because I know women like the protagonist and men like the boyfriend you're talking about who hangs onto women that treat them like crap and just keep them around because they can.

Sadly enough, from your explanation, it does sound like the story is based on reality.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

They played a clip on the Colbert Report and it was a steamy dog turd.

Jesus, I just saw another clip of this piece of shit on Conan and I now actively want to murder anyone even tangentially involved with this

Also, that Zosia Mamet chick has a busted face and teeth that look like she's been gnawing on gravel. How the hell does she get on TV?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Because if Hollywood doesn't let so many ugly women on TV they're sexists. It's like affirmative action for ugly women.

So, I didn't like reality bites. It was irritating, over-privileged jack asses who really learn nothing by the end of the story beyond flirting with ben stiller will get a movie made that you can then bitch about how getting paid for your movie is the worst thing ever. Then you hook up with the lead singer of nickleback cause, even though he is an ass his dad died and you were meant to be together.

So I watched the first episode of girls because I have a disorder apparently. It was like reality bites if you took the main characters ambition and cleverness away and replaced it with entitlement and took away everything that gave the rest of the characters personality, removed any sense of urgency (which there should be, rent has just been cut off and a month is not a lot of time to find a job and get the rent). I mean, making the characters in reality bites look ambitious is an impressive feat in its own right, but wow, there is not a shit I couldn't give less of for the characters in this story.

If this is about what "realistic females" are like according to an interview with someone, I am very happy I only know unrealistic women. They sound like horrible 30 somethings trying to reclaim a wild youth they never had not because they were sheltered, but because they have an almost supernatural ability to dodge interesting. Even hipsters are more interesting cause hipsters need a persona, it seems like these people are actively avoiding personality. The meld into a single character and the only reason i could tell the characters apart is one had a british accent and one of the men was passive and the other actively defended mcdonalds.

The parents were kind of interesting to me, I would actually give a show about them a chance.

Maybe it gets better. Maybe Episode 2 gives the characters character, maybe the comedy lights up, maybe some sienfieldian anti-sympathy develops to make the show compelling, but why, based on the first episode, would I watch a long, depressing target commercial?

Pleth's Avatar Junior Member

I must admit I really like Curb Your Enthusiasm. I am going to turn into Larry David in about 25 years.

+ Reply to Thread