+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Piratz Tavern or Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue on Spike is a Bigot

Default About Piratz Tavern or Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue on Spike is a Bigot

Years ago, when I lived in the DC burbs, Dennys was sued for discriminating against black customers. The Dennys near where I lived, the one the local punks used to get abused at, was named specifically in the suit because they had been evil about seating a couple of black Secret Service agents. Dennys lost, partly because people felt that good enough to guard our president ought to be good enough not to be discriminated against. The frustrating thing for many of my compatriots at the time was that...
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: About Piratz Tavern or Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue on Spike is a Bigot

I vaguely remember that Dennys story. It was a source of solidarity as we got 86ed from every 24 hour joint in NorBay (Dennys and Lyons back then). The rest of that story is pretty troubling. I've seen a lot of good venues close in my recent travels. It seems to come down to the few that owned their places outright. Taffer is of no use to a bar like that. He probably hastened their demise. I just hope this malaise doesn't stop folks from dreaming, taking risks, and taking the hit when you have to. Start-up these days takes a lot of fortitude. It usually involves more than one start-up phase. I wish that woman the absolute best. I hope she realizes that it was an accomplishment to see it through ... not a failure that it didn't last forever.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

They seem to be doing alright, having gone back to their original theme, OEC. Maryland is a great state. It's really quirky, but a really good piece of America. The official state sport is Jousting, and they have a very strong fandom community, so Pirates isn't really much of an aberration. They just suffered from a certain complacency that can happen to any subculture related establishment. Good consulting would have done them well, but there was no need to do it with total disdain and obnoxious insistence that they be 'normal' people.

I actually used to (in the mists of time) work in downtown Silver Spring. It was probably even one of those professional buildings Jon pointed out. We all used to go to this odd German Octoberfest style pub that was just about as weird and full of characters as this pirate bar is.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    They seem to be doing alright, having gone back to their original theme, OEC. Maryland is a great state. It's really quirky, but a really good piece of America. The official state sport is Jousting, and they have a very strong fandom community, so Pirates isn't really much of an aberration. They just suffered from a certain complacency that can happen to any subculture related establishment. Good consulting would have done them well, but there was no need to do it with total disdain and obnoxious insistence that they be 'normal' people.

I actually used to (in the mists of time) work in downtown Silver Spring. It was probably even one of those professional buildings Jon pointed out. We all used to go to this odd German Octoberfest style pub that was just about as weird and full of characters as this pirate bar is.
    That is great to hear! I didn't get a chance to explore MD in depth, but I definitely have an affinity for that part of the country. Glad things are working out for them.

OEC

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

For a few months I dated a girl that lived in the Silver Spring area. I wish she'd have shown me this joint instead of the douche-HQs she dragged me to.

I was there a couple weeks ago for the Broken Continent fundraiser, and it was going strong once again.

When I saw the Corporate sign, I honestly thought it was a joke for while they were renovating. What a spectacularly shit idea for a theme change; glad to see it was fully rejected.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Actually, as bad as you say the guy was, it was still publicity for the Tavern. In fact, more people probably saw what they went through and what they did afterward and felt more of a desire to check the place out. So, yes, the dude is a bigot, asshole, and has no clue about what he's talking about half the time, but because of it, he probably did more good for Piratz Tavern than bad.

This is true, assuming that the amount of extra business they get from the publicity equals or exceeds what it cost them to get back to being a pirate tavern again. Also, who knows how much the show compensates them for the business being closed. She was already way in the hole.

Regardless, the place is pretty small inside; it's not like it could get much more crowded and be workable.

I like that it's there, I just often wonder how it stays afloat...especially since the Quarry House Tavern is literally right across the street. That's got much better food, more room, faster servers, a vastly better booze selection, and has been a fave of the counterculture for far longer.

Default Jon Taffer shows how small and insignifigant he truley is.

I was delighted to come across this blog piece. I agree compleatly with Amelia G. on every point. I realize that most of these shows aim at high drama agression but the total lack of respect that Taffwer showed (and often shows in other episodes) the managment and staff of Piratz was amazing, needless and shows him to be a very small man inside.

I toast to the success of Piratz Tavern and the failure of Jon Taffer and his massive , shallow ego.
    Last edited by hillbillyloren; 08-26-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Hmmm, a Pirate flash mob at Taffer's next effort maybe?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

That's totally what I was thinkin'. Couldn't have said it better.

+ Reply to Thread