+ Reply to Thread

Thread: George Lucas Sells to Disney - This explains EVERYTHING about Star Wars

Default George Lucas Sells to Disney - This explains EVERYTHING about Star Wars

When the Jar Jar Binks movie came out, like a lot of Star Wars fans, I was baffled. Darth Vader re-imagined as an unpleasantly cute kid? Everything looking so sterile? Special effects which were less than convincing?

I confess that seeing Star Wars as a small child was a watershed moment in my life. I'm still a huge science fiction fan, although I was already reading some authors in that genre when the movie came out. I'd say seeing Star Wars really solidified SF fandom as part of my identity...
    Read the full article

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Re: George Lucas Sells to Disney - This explains EVERYTHING about Star Wars

It's sad. The whole series was ruined to me when Episodes 1-3 were made. It's the same to me as remakes of 70's and 80's action and sci-fi movies. Part of what I love so much about those old movies is the fact that they had to actually work to make the special effects. It took creativity and the rawness of it just seemed more powerful, and sometimes comical because of how bad some things could turn out. But now everything is done on a computer. It's lines of code and one guy sitting at a desk with a mouse moving things around, instead of 20 people sitting at a table figuring out how to start and having to keep coming back to the table to figure out how their last attempt went wrong and what to try next. People sitting for hours making models and creating costumes and trying to do makeup. Now they can just put someone in a blue suit and change them into an alien after the director yells cut.

I think Hollywood could really benefit from a few people doing things the old ways. I'd pay to see an action or sci-fi movie that wasn't just CGI and green screens.

Default Re: George Lucas Sells to Disney - This explains EVERYTHING about Star Wars

Star Wars was ruined for me when I rewatched it as an 18 y.o. years before the new episodes came out. Man was my hero such a whiney little shit. The acting and dialog were so bad I couldn't believe what terrible taste my 3 y.o. self had.

Lucas is a well known crap hound. The 20 hiatus between Episode's 5 and 1 was a direct result of his divorce settlement, she got half of everything for 20 years. If she's the one behind the first batch it makes perfect sense.

As for George's pay day? I wonder at Disney's willingness to pay so much, but whatever.

And now I can pretty much just shut my goddamn piehole about this because I'm a jerk.

Damn you Lucas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2067145.html

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Headline: George Lucas Trolls Internet

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

In 1978 or 79, after the original movie but before the first sequel, I had a book "sequel" called "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Alan Dean Foster. Apparently even if the original film bombed they were still going to do a sequel based on this. so says the Wikipedia oracle

Anyway my point of interest here is that in this abandoned storyline Princess Leia and Luke pretty much make out. Yes! This is my kind of incest. I really like Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. Harrison Ford not so much. This book leaves Hans Solo almost entirely unmentioned. Perfect.

Strangely Wikipedia does not mention this incest. Well at that time it was not conceived that they were twin bro and sis. Anyway because the first film made plenty $ they abandoned this cheap fallback storyline and went for big budget. It saddens me that we missed out on the cheap option of Luke lovin Leia - way preferable in my opinion.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon View Post
    In 1978 or 79, after the original movie but before the first sequel, I had a book "sequel" called "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Alan Dean Foster. Apparently even if the original film bombed they were still going to do a sequel based on this. so says the Wikipedia oracle

Anyway my point of interest here is that in this abandoned storyline Princess Leia and Luke pretty much make out. Yes! This is my kind of incest. I really like Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. Harrison Ford not so much. This book leaves Hans Solo almost entirely unmentioned. Perfect.

Strangely Wikipedia does not mention this incest. Well at that time it was not conceived that they were twin bro and sis. Anyway because the first film made plenty $ they abandoned this cheap fallback storyline and went for big budget. It saddens me that we missed out on the cheap option of Luke lovin Leia - way preferable in my opinion.

There's the whole conversation in Splinter of the Mind's Eye between Han and Luke with the whole "do you ever think a princess and a guy like me . . ." and it is made clear that they are competing for her. Not exactly brotherly.

Loved that book. I was reading the whole Flinx series then too.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Princess Leia seems to have had enough of Hans Solo too. This is what Carrie Fisher said this week in relation to the impending seventh film:

"I like the idea of being Mrs. Solo, and we've just fought and fought and I killed him - but I'm sorry. I feel badly and I probably had an affair with some general."

see smh

CarrieFisherWish .jpg
    Carrie points out others who need killing

+ Reply to Thread