+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Satanic Bible

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default The Satanic Bible

It's safe to say most of you have read it. Even safer to say one or two card carrying members hang around these parts. The name alone scares off the less adventurous...but those who take the plunge tend to find something in it that sticks with them. A long lasting effect that's not only hard to shake but quite usefull.

Now I'll admit I was a happier fella when I had a deep interest with the book and it's various ideas...but time passed and I found new things to explore. So I never really joined the Church of Satan and it's debateable how good of a Satanists I'd of made to begin with...I'm really not into organized faiths, groups, cults, clubs, bowling teams, etc. Not because I have anything against them...I just never had that need to be a part of anything like that.

What I've always liked about The Satanic Bible is that it's a solid peice of work that not only has aged well but never really lost it's impact. That said what have been your impressions and thoughts on it?

Default Re: The Satanic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It's safe to say most of you have read it. Even safer to say one or two card carrying members hang around these parts. The name alone scares off the less adventurous...but those who take the plunge tend to find something in it that sticks with them. A long lasting effect that's not only hard to shake but quite usefull.

Now I'll admit I was a happier fella when I had a deep interest with the book and it's various ideas...but time passed and I found new things to explore. So I never really joined the Church of Satan and it's debateable how good of a Satanists I'd of made to begin with...I'm really not into organized faiths, groups, cults, clubs, bowling teams, etc. Not because I have anything against them...I just never had that need to be a part of anything like that.

What I've always liked about The Satanic Bible is that it's a solid peice of work that not only has aged well but never really lost it's impact. That said what have been your impressions and thoughts on it?
    Uh hmmm..

Well, the Satanic Bible I feel is more of an introduction to Satanism rather than a book that tells you to follow your life to it exactly, like "The Holy Bible". That's not what Anton intended. The religion/philosophy is about following the same ideals and making them your own. It has room for you to be what you want to be, who you want to be. I was probably around 14 years old when I first read the Satanic Bible. I was impressed.. I thought "Wow, someone actually thinks the same way as I do" and after that moment I had a label for who I am, I am a Satanist.

The COS evolved so much after that book. I wouldn't hold on to it as a solid peice of lit to follow my life by, but I would combine all of the much more indebth pieces he wrote such as - The Complete Witch reprinted as "The Satanic Witch" - The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks. Anton was all about evloving his religion, wanting people to be who they carnally are. Live your life without regret but be careful of the path you choose, Love something but not to the extremity that you could not watch it die, the only thing to fear is fear itself.. I feel that he taught me to take things for face value because if you don't most of the time you'll end up with mud on your face. This isn't a dependant religion for the weak but an outlet for the strong minded to freely be who they are. I'll never be a delicate person as delicate as I may seem, I take things by the balls and go for the juglar, but in the same respect I'm the nicest person you'll ever meet if you show me that same kindness back.

I belive as a book I learned more from the Satanic Witch. It's a great piece of work about women and men's behavior to women and such. I really couldn't believe that this "man" knew this much about women. That some guy actually paid attention enough to write a book about us. It's one of those books that everytime I go back and read it I understand more. Anton had a way about him that has made an everlasting impression on my life. He is my hero. I am also a fanatic collector of anything related to the COS.

As far as carring a card. That was just a way for them to profit and actually keep the "Church" in business. I feel that a card doesn't make you a Satanist, you do.

My Discalimer:
    I'm not saying that I agree with everything Anton has ever written, well because I'm not Anton. In degrees I see him in the same light as Charles Manson. A visionary in moments of insanity and sometimes his imagination got the best of him, well, because he's Anton. He can do that.

Shemhamforash!
    Hail Satan!

Szandora

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

I agree, The Satanic Bible was more an introduction into satanism. Anton Lavey was an interesting man. Highly intelligent, well read, and a captivating story teller from what I read. I liked the Satanic Witch better, I think for the fact of his analyzation of personalities, he called The Lavey Personality Synthesizer. After reading that, I found most people true to their place on the clock as he called it. I dont claim to follow any religion at all, but I do think I have more respect for Satanism, then most other religions just due to the fact it pretty much says, be who you are, do what you want, and dont feel regret for it. In my opinion thats how life ought to be lived.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah I was not intending to make it sound like a "How to" book...never really saw it much like that either. Never saw the Holy Bible like that for that matter. I think only fundamentalists think that way about their faiths and philosophies.

I did own The Satanic Witch but I gave it away not long after I bought it...it went to better home really. Though I did readThe Devil's Notebook and enjoyed it quite a bit.

While it is geared to the strong minded and willed I think it can be freeing to those use to being dependant on outside forces and institutions to hold them up. Provided they want that freedom of course.

It's pretty rare anyone agrees fully with a certain philosophy or faith and really no one is suppose to. Some aspects of what LaVey wrote I know I'll never fully agree with but I understand where he's coming from. Hell in some cases he's dead on right even when I disagree with him. That's always an interesting experience.

Now I never felt I found a label for myself in his work but I did find a few subtitles to add and I'll make sure I put The Satanic Witch on my reading list soon.

One thing I never liked about organized faiths and philosophies is the eliteness some practitioners fall into. Worse is they justify it based on said faith and philosphy. Some mistake it for arrogance...but in reality its the best example of weakness there is. Because it's not their faith or philosphy that provided that behaviour...it's their own mutual need to NEED that kind of feeling. Sad how this sortat ruins it for everyone else at times.

Worse still it plauges every faith, government, philosphy, and organization. Seems the higher you go in any of these...small splinter groups of people engulfed in their status slowly spoil parts of what they clain to believe in.

Where would you find that book?

What are the basic strictures?

Would this be a similar type of belief or philosophy system?:

"dedicated to all manners of perversions and sexual debauchery. He smiles upon hedonistic pleasure, the overthrow of all codes of decent behaviour and all forms of perverse pleasures of the flesh. followers explore all their fantasies and joyous when it is particularly perverse. All sensations must be explored, including pain, agony, fear and terror."

If not, what would that philosophy belong to in most recognized stuff?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Where would you find that book?

What are the basic strictures?

Would this be a similar type of belief or philosophy system?:

"dedicated to all manners of perversions and sexual debauchery. He smiles upon hedonistic pleasure, the overthrow of all codes of decent behaviour and all forms of perverse pleasures of the flesh. followers explore all their fantasies and joyous when it is particularly perverse. All sensations must be explored, including pain, agony, fear and terror."

If not, what would that philosophy belong to in most recognized stuff?

Any bookstore should have it...what you descibed is more along the lines of the Marquis DESade.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

Scientology is way creepier than the COS.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    Scientology is way creepier than the COS.
    Ohman, yes! There was an interview years back in the 70s with L. Ron, jr.. Oh man, all that talk of soul-cracking and human manipulation made even Hitler (he loved the occult) look like he was in Junior High as far as tact and practice.

The best satanic things are always between the lines of everyday books. I found great hints of it in George Bush, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and even Billy Graham's memoirs. From such source you can get much. Even if you read them to think about the opposite view, often a clearly "satanic" and/or powerful declaration is right there.

+ Reply to Thread