+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you feel safe at home?

Default do you feel safe at home?

where i live there have been alot of home invasions. Not to mention the fact i came home this evening and found my back door which i never ever use unlocked. So do you all feel safe at home? My back door has a dead bolt. and it was unlocked. so what litel safety i felt i had in my own home is now gone. people think that locking htere doors keeps them safe. but at the same time locksmiths get into homes with little to no problem. the cops here are a joke. when i lived at home my parents house got broken into 3 times. police never found a suspect. 6 months ago i was robbed at gunpoint. Police never had a goood lead even tho they stole my cell phone and used it often. I own 15 swords and somehow im still not feeling safe. Even tho my back door was unlocked nothing is missing but i don;t own jewelry thats worth anything and all the money is in the bank so nothing to take except a couple fo tvs. do you feel safe in your own home??? I don't.

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

Default Re: do you feel safe at home?

I feel very safe. But maybe that is because of the bars on our windows, the fact that we live on a well traveled street and I know at least by nod all of our neighbors.

I strongly suggest you get an alarm system, or if it's a rental, get those cheap perimiter alarms for your doors and windows. They basically are a magnet system, and when the connection is lost they make ungodly noise.

If you are really really worried, put a lock on your bedroom door so you can at least sleep well at night.

It sucks feeling unsafe. I have had 2 home invasions, and had countless random bad things happen to me and it really shake you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by corachaos
    I feel very safe. But maybe that is because of the bars on our windows, the fact that we live on a well traveled street and I know at least by nod all of our neighbors.

I strongly suggest you get an alarm system, or if it's a rental, get those cheap perimiter alarms for your doors and windows. They basically are a magnet system, and when the connection is lost they make ungodly noise.

If you are really really worried, put a lock on your bedroom door so you can at least sleep well at night.

It sucks feeling unsafe. I have had 2 home invasions, and had countless random bad things happen to me and it really shake you.

Good luck.
    can't offord another bill saving up for an ak-47 before the assult weapions ban is lifted i might feel safe sleeping with one of those in my arms at night.

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

Not at my house, no. I live in a shitty neighborhood that no one can really get to easily.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I live in what is really a small police state...the cops are well used and enforce the hammer of God on those who wish to cause any problems. When local street gangs started to filter in it took little time for them to feel VERY unwanted. It's one of the safest cities in the country oddly enough and it's no secret why...the police do their job...even when they do it a lil TOO well and annoy the fuck out of you. But they hassle those who hassle others so I can't complain and I've lived all over this town since I was a lil kid...and at each place it was safe to walk at night. The only serious crime my kin ran into here was my dads car being broke into...we pretty much knew who it was...he'd been causing problems for others too...

Lets just say after that night...he was never seen again...

Plus their is another layer of "law enforcement" in the area and they keep the local and non-local hoods and criminals in line. Strange way to keep the peace but hey...it works really really well.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I definitely feel safe. I'm moving to the 10th Floor of a highrise overlooking the city. There are armed guards and sensory detectors. I can't say the same for some of the houses I've lived in. Even in nicer neighborhoods, home invasion is not uncommon. Personally, I've only had checks and such stolen out of my mailbox. I hate to say it, but the convenience of gated communities and the nicer apartment/townhomes has a lot of appeal to me now.

I'd go with the AK, otherwise lol Na Zdrovya!

OEC

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i never really feel perticularly safe anywhere ,having been one of those people breaking in to houses, i know how easy it is ,i can still pick like any lock you can think of,years of ninjitsu probablly didn't help either,you just gotta stop giving a shit ...sorry thats sounds so bad but i jst don't care if someone fuck around in my house i'll deal with them accordingly...hehehe..accordingly(wink,wink)

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

The last time my home was broken into was in London back in the seventies. We lived in a quiet mews and there was nothing to disturb the robbers, although the left with only a cassette player and a small television leaving behind various porcelain statues and other goodies worth thousands of pounds due to their lack of knowledge. Touch wood, I haven't been broken into since. However, one of the first things I've done in my new house is change the main door lock and seal the second door so that it can't be opened from the outside; plus replacing several windows. My house is on a well travelled street, directly opposite a cinema, but set well back from the road and very quiet. I'm also thinking about an alarm and so on mainly to protect my collection of historical items and my books. But the new kitchen and (probably) a new heating boiler come first.

The thing is, someone determined will get into your house. Deadbolts, bars on the windows, barbed wire, none of these things will stop the truely determined. Locks can be picked, bars forced, and wires cut. Even alarm systems can be circumvented.

The point of these things is not to outright stop someone from getting in, but to cause them to look for an easier target. Visible deterents (such as deadbolts and dogs) work well for this reason. Actually dogs also work well because they are unpredicable. Guns are not the ideal choice for the same reason. Unless you walk around the house carryong a gun in plain sight, the would be robber has no way to know it is there. Also, guns are one of the highest profit items to sell stolen. If you are buying the gun for other reasons, well I still don't care for AKs but that's a taste thing.

I have never had a home I did not feel secure in. yes people could break in, but I have always felt the combination of my lack of valuables, and other deterents was enough to make them move to other targets. My car.... whole different deal.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

ive decided the only true way to keep my house secure is to replace all exterior doors with vault doors and have them locked with retinal scanners and voice recognition i will also have three inch sheet metal put over my windows and have automated machine guns placed around the perimiter this may be difficult and pointless however since i live in a dorm that is known for not having any theft and for any theft occuring to be immediately reported

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think the best way to keep people from breaking into your home is to have no walls.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think the best way to keep people from breaking into your home is to have no walls.
    I had no walls when I lived in the jungle in Hawaii. Well, there was one or two walls, sort of... more like collections of planks. The rest was just simple mesh screen, bamboo, and corrigated plastic for the roof/rain water collection system. Part of me kinda misses it.

that sounds hard to imagine yet oddly fitting, you crazy crazy man you.

I always felt safe in my home. Until someone broke in my basement and trashed it. Nothing was taken, though it was the thought of some strange fucker being in my house. So the answer is no

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

alwasy feel safe where I am.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

even tho i live in an area with alot of gangs, drugs , homicides, muggings ,and theres some guy whose been exposing himself to little girls i feel safer at home than anywhere else

Bloodcountess's Avatar Member

I'm always very scared when I'm home alone. That is because it happened several times that there was a man standing in front of my window, watching me while I was inside.
    And lately they found my neighbour - tied up on her balcony. I don't know what her condition was when they found her, but I have never seen her after the incident.

Weblogger

I have always thought it practically impossible to keep people out too, but once they are in, if there is a system that can keep them in while not allowing them to get at the valuable stuff or into any room where they can trash stuff, I'm all for it. I'd let them out after a few days, honest injun.

Gimme enough ammo and I would feel safe in DownTown Bagdad wearing a shirt that says "Allah is a big poopy head"

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i never feel safe unless my dad is home

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Before I move into any place I alway make sure that I can barricade against the threat of Zombie Invasions. Other than that I have alot of things that go *beep* when the door opens, a few locks here and there and a Knight's Dagger under mu pillow, not to mention the sword cane and the Fakk II replica next to the couch.
    "A little Paranoia never hurt anything." ~ E. Banyon
    K

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Before I move into any place I alway make sure that I can barricade against the threat of Zombie Invasions. Other than that I have alot of things that go *beep* when the door opens, a few locks here and there and a Knight's Dagger under mu pillow, not to mention the sword cane and the Fakk II replica next to the couch.
    K
    Dammit! You were the first house me and my Zombie Army were gonna hit durring All Hallow's Eve...my undead minions are gonna be so dissapointed...

Nothing is sader than cryin zombies.

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I had no walls when I lived in the jungle in Hawaii. Well, there was one or two walls, sort of... more like collections of planks. The rest was just simple mesh screen, bamboo, and corrigated plastic for the roof/rain water collection system. Part of me kinda misses it.
    Wow you lived out here?
    You should come back for a visit and we can have a drink or 10

Many of my friends live in places such as you have described...
    I prefer to have walls and electricity and running water and such..
    Which means my house is the place all my dirty ass friends come to watch tv and dry out if it rains for too long at a time

As far as the topic goes.
    I feel safe where i am, because i am out in the middle of nowhere.

But a long time ago i lived in a really crappy neighborhood and had some crackheads kick in my door and start shooting.. they got $40, and that kinda kept me on edge for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    K
    lol you sound exacally like me. kinda uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    The thing is, someone determined will get into your house. Deadbolts, bars on the windows, barbed wire, none of these things will stop the truely determined. Locks can be picked, bars forced, and wires cut. Even alarm systems can be circumvented.

The point of these things is not to outright stop someone from getting in, but to cause them to look for an easier target. Visible deterents (such as deadbolts and dogs) work well for this reason. Actually dogs also work well because they are unpredicable. Guns are not the ideal choice for the same reason. Unless you walk around the house carryong a gun in plain sight, the would be robber has no way to know it is there. Also, guns are one of the highest profit items to sell stolen. If you are buying the gun for other reasons, well I still don't care for AKs but that's a taste thing.

I have never had a home I did not feel secure in. yes people could break in, but I have always felt the combination of my lack of valuables, and other deterents was enough to make them move to other targets. My car.... whole different deal.
    If i got a gun I would carry it in plain site. The point of me getting a gun is killing them once there in my home to set an example on the news when all the damn thiefs watch it. If it ever happen's ill be sure to post pic's of the corpse on here before i call the cops.

i have not felt safe at home in a long time, i am a strong man i "did" do martial arts for a number of years, but i simply do not feel safe about 2 years ago a close friend of mine was nearly ***** in her bed by a mutual friend that we drank with each couple days for 2 years before the incident.

it never got sorted and althought i got her out of the situation we could not get rid of him "by jail or alternative", so he is near by either the same pub bar or club or aquentence, i was forbidden by my friend "the victim" to do anything about it and it made me feel very vulnerable especially after other incidents incurred witch i will not go into, these incidents happend after the first incident "well the one we thought was the first".

it is my point that your home is your castle and no one should make you feel uncomfortable if i guilt or emotions or feel uncomfortable i can change it or accept it or move on, after that incident my friend never felt comfortable at home again she had to leave and make a new one.

in scotland guns are banned, i do beleive in part it was a good idea but then i think about what has happend to my friend and seriously disagree, but then maybe thats the point

"a bad temptation"

where ever u go there is a bad street a good street, and not evertyone can afford to live in a good street and sometimes even u cant feel safe on the good side of town, all one can be is prepared to take what ever get throw your way with a head on attack and amend damage, this is a good point of view

if that fails put a cupboard on front of your door and have a crossbow on stand by

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i admit that i have never been robbed or assaulted (house has been broken into and car has been stolen though) but i totally feel safe wherever i go... the only time i didn't feel safe was taking a long walk home (3+miles) while i was so drunk that i was afraid i was going to get mugged b/c i couldn't even walk straight... i was actually hoping the cops would pick me up just so i would be safe. but other then that its all good... as for living in bad neighborhoods... i just made friends with the little kids... once they all knew me the rest of the families took a liking to me and nobody gave me shit even when i was walking through ghettos alone dressed up where they probably thought i was a skinhead...

Weblogger

If we're talking about being robbed or assaulted, that's happened to me. Resulted in two broken ribs, a broken jaw and a broken arm. All I got was a small cut on my wrist from his knife.

yeah whenever I hear some NRA asshole talk about how he just can't wait for someone to come into his house so that he can legally shoot them, it makes me want file false papers to get the bank to seize thier property and then buy it off of them and go up to thier front door and say excuse me, this is my house now, which means that you are trespassing on MY property, and then pull out a gun and shoot them. That would be poetic justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah whenever I hear some NRA asshole talk about how he just can't wait for someone to come into his house so that he can legally shoot them, it makes me want file false papers to get the bank to seize thier property and then buy it off of them and go up to thier front door and say excuse me, this is my house now, which means that you are trespassing on MY property, and then pull out a gun and shoot them. That would be poetic justice.
    one day something will happen to you and you will relize oww thats why we have the right to own guns... You think the police going to hold your hand all day every day.

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

I live in Alaska, so I feel pretty safe. Thank God for hermit-like living situations!

i feel safe most of the time. i know that i am master of my domain. and the outsiders can smell my territory...

Yeah, I would have to say I do. *giggles at all the weaponry decked out on the living room walls; the small portion that is on display.*

As for the assault weapon ban, last I checked they have always been legal in WY. Time for a road trip?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

considering all the fucked up places I've lived even I'm supprised that I've always felt safe

+ Reply to Thread