+ Reply to Thread

Thread: superstitions

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default superstitions

Are you superstitious? If so, what are some of them?
    I am especially superstitious when it comes to watching sports like baseball or hockeyor when playing a game. I know its just a coincidence but I do it anyways. And I often find myself asking “what if?” when I don’t do something. For instance, the red sox have scored most of their runs when I’ve had to pee. Or I clutch my lighter when the bruins are on a power play. There’s also a bunch of ritualistic behaviors I have when dealing with anxiety or worry. One of which is chain-smoking. Another is biting my nails. Some others involve me doing things that I find that help “ground” me, like taking a bath or shower, experiencing various sensations like pleasure or pain, hot or cold. I often offer up brief prayers to my Goddess while grasping my pentacle. Etc etc.
    I also believe in omens, like its good luck for me to see a spider. And bad luck or even a sin to kill one. I see spiders are being representatives of Fate, and servants of my Goddess

Default Re: superstitions

Like you wouldn't believe. That is due to programming from religious schools that I am trying to remove still.

My mom used to try and convince me that the local baseball team would win or lose based on if I did my homework or not.

Love you to mom! Oh, and I'm not going to be able to come home for Christmas!

Actually, I find that I create my own superstitions. I have one shirt I only wear if its a VERY important date. Course, last time I wore it we almost got killed when some kid tried to bust a police roadblock. But that night was a great start... till she destroyed my heart. I refuse to study the day of a test. If I'm stressed, or things are really critical, I smoke, regardless if I want one or not.

I find that having those little 'superstitions' help me to settle into the groove. It helps getting the pattern set up. Gets my mind off of the inconsequential and focuses on the matter at hand. They might not be that spiritual, but I pay more attention to them than any god.

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

Can't say I'm overly superstitious, except, once when I was 6 or so, my mom and I were driving home and I suddenly got really nausiated and started puking all over the car violently, at that same time, we were passing a certain big brown building. Needless to say, I had food poisoning. But now, for the last dozen (or so) years, whenever I drive by that building, I hold my breath, to prevent become violently ill again....I start to breath again, when the building is out of sight.....

Digital Anthrax's Avatar Junior Member

I'm not really all that superstitious but at times I'll admit that I feel really, really unlucky. In fact I'm almost a bit accident prone; if there is, say, a one in eight chance of being hit in the head with a ball I'll be the poor guy that does. But on the other hand however, if there is a one in eight chance that I could win $10, 000 I will most certainly be part of the seven that don't win.

A few years ago, my Dad would always tell me that whenever you rolled a cigarette something would happen and as he told me that it started raining so I just believe in that one for fun.

Oh and umbrellas never bothered me until I found out it was bad luck to open them inside... who knew?

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Not even slightly. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, well, damndamndamndamn and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    I suddenly got really nausiated and started puking all over the car violently, at that same time, we were passing a certain big brown building. Needless to say, I had food poisoning.
    eek! i so hate getting sick like that in cars. i often get carsick. theres something about being trapped in a moving vehicle that triggers my clausterphobia hardcore. it's hard to recover from and "get it out of your system" or "feel better?" when it happens. and then having to sit there for the rest of the trip with the vomit stinking up the car...eww. plus the clean up is difficult.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

I try not to be superstitious, but some of them are almost reflex - like not walking under a ladder, or throwing salt over my shoulder if I spill any.

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

Yes, I certainly try to avoid car-puking

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I'm so superstitious. Must be from growing up in a family of actors. I hold my feet up when I go over railroad tracks. I kiss the roof of the car when we go under a yellow light. I refuse to whistle back stage in a theatre. I'm terrified of ladders and I refuse to break a mirror. And yet I have a black cat and look forward to Friday the thirteenth. *sigh* some people's kids...
    K

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i'm pretty superstitious, thats probably the Irish in me, my great-grandma came here from Ireland and she raised my mom, so alot of it weared off on me. i read alot of Romany (Gypsy) books when i was little and followed alot of the things that i read.

i'm pretty superstitious in my every day life, both Irish and Romany beliefs.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    Yes, I certainly try to avoid car-puking
    Am I special? Because I can't throw up... I can shove two hot dogs so far down my throat I can close my mouth

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i dont walk under ladders, i dont cross my fingers for luck (its bad luck i tell u!), and im scared of breaking a mirror...

for a few years my worst nightmares came true. whatever i thought might happen did happen and eventually i thought that i willed them to happen. So I beleve that if you expect bad things to happen you will them to happen.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

I'm not suppersticious, but I suffer from a strange phenomenon that happens over and over to me.
    Sometimes I get dja vu. And it absolutely terrifies me. I have the feeling I've already lived through something and it's always followed by the sensation of something horrible about to happen. So, just to try and avoid whatever mishap, I will go out of my way to do something that I'm sure is not a part of whatever was going to happen, so I will cross streets for no reason, leave my house in a heartbeat, or park the car in the middle of a drive.
    It sucks. And I bet it makes me look like a complete ass.

... or maybe nobody notices..?

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

counter jinx myself:

i am prone to making predictions: "noing my luck, i will win the tickets but something will come up and i can't go"

saying i will win the tickets just jinxed me into not winning them but the other part un-jinxed me... it sounds silly but i do it for EVERYTHING...

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    Am I special? Because I can't throw up... I can shove two hot dogs so far down my throat I can close my mouth
    i know some girls that would kill to be able to do that,hahha,just playing with ya.

i don't really ever throw-up either?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    I'm not suppersticious, but I suffer from a strange phenomenon that happens over and over to me.
    Sometimes I get dja vu. And it absolutely terrifies me. I have the feeling I've already lived through something and it's always followed by the sensation of something horrible about to happen. So, just to try and avoid whatever mishap, I will go out of my way to do something that I'm sure is not a part of whatever was going to happen, so I will cross streets for no reason, leave my house in a heartbeat, or park the car in the middle of a drive.
    It sucks. And I bet it makes me look like a complete ass.

... or maybe nobody notices..?
    i get that sometimes. back when i was in college i had a "avoidance procedure" in my head to avoid things and ppl. like id avoid doing certain things or places before a test. now it would probably end up causing me anxiety. and m good at avoiding anxiety provoking things...

+ Reply to Thread