+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ambition and Success

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Ambition and Success

How do you define ambition? Is it a good thing?

How do you define success?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Ambition and Success

ambition wanting to be succesful and being willing to make sacrifices to do it i only think its wrong if it hurts other people who dont deserve it. I define success by how much of an impact youve had on the world

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Ambition is the drive you have to want to change things or in some cases, acquire things which may or may not be a good thing. It depends on how you go about it.

I made my first million by pure ambition to be a young millionaire and lost it all to a lack of ambition (not to mention an expensive drug habit).

Success has more to do with how you feel about what you have done, fuck everyone else's 'standard'... you can have everything and still not be successful as far being personally fulfilled, whatever the outcome of your endeavors.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I think ambition is not only a good thing, it is necessary. Ambition is what drives us to acomplish anything. No ambition=no food on the table...
    I think the problem lies in where one's ambition lies. Many people place too much value on acheiving certain goals, and are blinded by their ambition. They may acheive the goal they set out to acheive, but when they look back, they see missed opportunities, crumbling relationships, etc... only to find that their "success" has not brought them happiness.
    Every day, I ask myself if my priorities are in line. I have 3 kids, and I am the sole income in my house. Therefore, to support my family I often have to spend extra time at work, miss out on special events, etc... A lot of my freinds think that I am trying to become a CEO, but that is not where my ambition lies. I just want a good life for my family.I often wonder if I am getting "out of balance", and sometimes I'm sure I am. It is not an easy balance to find.
    Success is harder for me, because it seems like as soon as I "succeed", a new challange pops up and the cycle begins again.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Well since I have never been successful at all, and been very ambitious, it is kind of something that I WISH I could stop doing...

But I am talking about show biz in general. I keep trying to give it up and lead a normal life, but it keeps PULLING ME BACK IN!!!! Heh! Heh!

I wish that I could just be happy marrying some nice investment banker and living in Greenwich CT and having kids. I just don't know if I could give up on the glamour and fun and excitement and creativity, aand the sexiness!!!

It's really a very expensive hobby, it costs me a lot of money to have a band and perform, etc. But no matter how I try to brainwash myself into being a normal girl, I guess I am not a normal girl... I guess I never will be a normal girl...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I wish that I could just be happy marrying some nice investment banker and living in Greenwich CT and having kids. I just don't know if I could give up on the glamour and fun and excitement and creativity, aand the sexiness!!!

Come on, Jennifer. I'm absolutely certain you can find a nice inverstment banker who would let you live the lifestyle of your choice.

It's really a very expensive hobby, it costs me a lot of money to have a band and perform, etc. But no matter how I try to brainwash myself into being a normal girl, I guess I am not a normal girl... I guess I never will be a normal girl...
    Do both! I swear he's out there somewhere ready to payroll you girlfriend. You can have your cake and eat it too. I've seen it happy. Don't limit yourself to either/or ..... go out and take it! Glad you liked London, knew you would

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    How do you define ambition?

Ambition is the desire and drive to succeed in any of your endeavors. I can say from experience that you will ultimately only succeed in the areas in which it comes naturally.

Is it a good thing?

Definitely. People complain a lot about "stress". In reality, eustress is a positive condition which keeps us going and pursuing our objectives.

How do you define success?
    Actions in lines with your ambition and values determines your success in life. To me; it really has become an integration of the material, the emotional, and the spiritual. I do not believe you can be successful and ignore any of these aspects. Obviously, some would differ. I base this entirely on my successes and the quests which brought me the greatest happiness.

OEC

I meant to say I've seen it happen but I exceeded the 5 minute rule. Do find that banker.

OEC

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Do both! I swear he's out there somewhere ready to payroll you girlfriend. You can have your cake and eat it too. I've seen it happy. Don't limit yourself to either/or ..... go out and take it! Glad you liked London, knew you would

OEC
    That is very sweet of you! Actually I have dated lots of investment bankers, but just can't seem to sleep with any of them....Actually I forced myself to once, and it was horrible... I almost gave up after that!!! Not very sexy, usually quite unattractive. And usually, you have to sleep with someone to marry them. Although there are exceptions. But yes, I am sure they would have allowed me to do all kinds of things, except I couldn't stand them.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    That is very sweet of you! Actually I have dated lots of investment bankers, but just can't seem to sleep with any of them....Actually I forced myself to once, and it was horrible... I almost gave up after that!!! Not very sexy, usually quite unattractive. And usually, you have to sleep with someone to marry them. Although there are exceptions. But yes, I am sure they would have allowed me to do all kinds of things, except I couldn't stand them.
    Interesting. I'm actually having a somewhat related dilemma. I'm just out of school again and I have the opportunity to go to law school. The problem being: I have a hard time just being around a lot of "mainstream" type people. I've actually found some sexual compatibility with female attorneys but I think it was as a rebellious pet (maybe similar to what makes you gag about the bankers) I still think it is possible, tho. A gay banker + free reign sexually? That's a possibility.

Glad to see you back Mill Valley Girl.

OEC

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

you need ambition it's the fire that drive but like all emotitive drivers it can be negative as well succes is wehn you wake up and the coffee alwasy taste perfect.

+ Reply to Thread