+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble Playing DVD's

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Trouble Playing DVD's

Is it just me, or do you have problems playing DVD's sometimes? Some of them seem to be kind of low quality, and they keep stopping. Some don't even play at all.

Or I have to keep turning the machine off and on until I can get it to play without stopping and freezing and jerking.

There are a lot of these sort of obscure DVD's that I can't watch because the DVD's seem to be low quality or won't play.

Or is it just my machine needs cleaning? Any suggestions on how to make a DVD play better?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Trouble Playing DVD's

Well it can be a number of things really...low quality DVD's are one but it could really be that your current DVD player is having problem with DVD types. They are a pretty wide variety of DVD's out there...each with diffrent compression capacities so on some players they tend to cause real headaches. The players I have now all seem to have issue with DVD's from columbia/tristar for some odd reason...yet play others just fine. My first DVD player had real problems with the newer DVD's of the last few years all the time as did a friends.

The only solution is really to buy a new DVD player if it's an OLD DVD player (like the ones that came out from 98 to 2000) If It's relatively new then you may want to check the connections and make sure nothing is interfearing with the signal both for video and audio. An old peice of Home Theatre equipment use to give me the same hassles about not playing certain DVD's.

Make sure nothing has damaged the DVD's you want to play...leaving them near heavily magnatized areas can royally fuck them up making them coasters. Old non magneticly shielded stero equpment or houshold items near DVD equipment can cause the same issue as well. At a home theater show a few years back a speaker dealer had one of his speakers open for a tech demonstration and though it was magneticly shielded it made the player and DVD's he wanted to use to show off his product inoperable.

It can be a number of things really...sorry I don't have a sure fire fix but hopefully others do.

Yes, I think I am leaving the DVD's too close to the equipment. Also, it helped to unplug the heater, which is a high voltage plug right near the DVD player. The DVD player is brand new!! These are rental DVD's from Netflix, so some of them are a bit trashed anyway, and most are these super obscure movies made into cheap DVD's!! But I wish I could watch them all.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im my opinion the best way to ensure you can watch obscure cheap DVDs is tho get a DVD rom drive for your computer because if there is a problem with the encoding you can dowload the codec for it and watch it anyways

i bought the cheepest dvd player i could find and it never has a problem. lol get a lens cleaner too it halps so much.

I should get a lens cleaner. Actually, this morning, I dropped the DVD on the floor and when I put it back it worked. Maybe I should do that more often..

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I should get a lens cleaner. Actually, this morning, I dropped the DVD on the floor and when I put it back it worked. Maybe I should do that more often..
    No, you shouldn't. the best way to clean a lense is with a q-tip, 1 part water & 1 part rubbing alcohol. mix the water & alc. then dip 1 side of the q-tip in the solution. hold above & let the solution drip. (back into the cup or whatever you mixed it in, so there is no excess) then LIGHTLY move the damp end of the q-tip in a clockwise motion for about 10-15 second. let sit for an additional 10-20 seconds. then repeat with the dry end. (clockwise again) you should be good to go. (seriously if you have it professionaly done, this is all they will do)

I didn't read what anyone else wrote, so sorry if I repeated what was said above. I have noticed that certain DVD players only play only one type of DVD. I guess there are many different kind of DVDS. My Dad has had problems with some of his and discovered this. I wish it was less complicated. DVDs are a great idea, but if you have to have a different DVD player for every 2 DVDs you buy, we might as well go back to VHS.

+ Reply to Thread