+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you a vegetarian?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you a vegetarian?

Wondering how many folks here are vegetarians and, if so, what sort. Los Angeles is full of rail thing fashion models who will claim to be vegan while talking through a mouth full of steak. Maybe the theory is that it doesn't count if you throw it up later. Anyway, I was wondering what the breakdown is here. I trust y'all to give accurate self-reports much more than the aforementioned folks.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Are you a vegetarian?

i've been a vegiterian my whole life ,my mom was one when was growing up so there was no meat in the house.i have been known to ocasionally eat a peice of chicken but very rarley,and as for all oter meat if i eat it i'll throww up for days.

a great statement i was told as a kid about my moms' vegi ways was:

Eienstien said" the one most benificial thing to the evolution of the human race is the evolution of a completely vegiterian diet"

full on vegan is hard i did it for a year and went back to just normal ole' vegii

I tried being a vegetarian with exception of dairy and Eggs, it didn't last over 3 months. I'm sorry, but I just can't live without chicken.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I've been a fairly strict vegetarian since 1973 - meaning that there have been occasions when I have inadvertently eaten a meat product or derivative without realising it until later. I don't miss meat or fish in any way, not even slightly, and I love being able to cook.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I've considered becoming a vegetarian. however, I am alergic to soy. so it kind of cuts down my options drasticly. thus I haven't became one.

I think it is great for people who are though.

I'm not quite shure about this,but I remember that in meat you have 3 or 4 aminoacids (I don't know wright word) that you are addicted from birth... And as I remember they are neccesary for optimal functioning of our body.
    I'm not vegeterian, but my sister is. I find it stupid.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

im a vagitarian, i only eat pussy

now i will go and punish myself for such a bad joke

NINA SINN's Avatar Senior Member
    alaska, can you believe i seriously lived thtere.... no really it is beautiful there...

I AM A VEGETARIAN TO A POINT... IM NOT VEGAN BUT THE ONLY SORT OF MEAT IF YOU WANNA CALL IT THAT, THAT I EAT IS SEAFOOD... FISH, SHRIMP, SCALLOPS, CLAMS ECT...... I DO NOT EAT BEEF, CHICKEN, PORK ECT....

BLOODYKISSES....
    NINA

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Nope...I like dead cow too much.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I TRY to be a vegetarian most of the time, but my FAVORITE thing in the world is steak, so I lose the battle about once a week!! The devil made me do it!!!

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i am an activist against cruelty to plants so i mostly eat meat

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Ive been a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian going on 9 years now.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

I'm strict vegetarian, not vegan, I do like my dairy and eggs... I am the pain in the ass type vegitarian too, who goes to a restaraunt and orders a breakfast and tells the server to tell the cook to make sure that my potatos are cooked on the egg grill or pan not on the meat grills... I finally gave up seafood completely about a year and a half ago also...

Could never be vegan though, I love my leather products too much...

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    i am an activist against cruelty to plants so i mostly eat meat

Yeah, I heard somewhere that scientists discovered that plants had a nervous system.

My friend has a motto against vegetarians (sorry if this offends any of you hardcore vegi/vegans)

"For every dead animal you don't eat, I'll eat two."

Personally, I think hardcore animal right activists are scary.

I am against animal cruelty and don't like how some of the sick people end up killing the animals in the slaughterhouses.

I am also against people who want to save every freaking animal when It's not possible to do. They are going to die some way or another. If there are too many they overpopulate and everything else dies.

I'm against killing animals just for fur or ivory, but I am NOT against killing cows or wearing leather. We use cows for many other reasons besides leather. We have a use for almost every part of its body. Even the hooves are made for glue.

I know a lot of people who are vegan that are very unhealthy, so it also makes me wonder if lack of iron or other nutrients that meat supplies, causes some kind of chemical imbalance in their brains or something.

If you're into it though, who am I to judge.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

you mean vegetarian as in only eating vegetables (and that means no legumes tubers or belladonna neither) ?
    actually had to once for a couple of weeks , made me feel wierd
    I like my processed sunlight in variety

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've followed the Macrobiotic diet plan on and off for a number of years. I am "transitioning" back to it between now and 1/1/2005. It is essentially vegetarian with the exception of some fish and seafood which are rich in GLA and other essential oils. It is based mostly on whole foods, especially brown rice and grains. The most difficult aspect will be limiting caffeine altho a number of substitutes are possible. I've never felt better than when I am on this plan.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

[QUOTE=SindelChaosI am also against people who want to save every freaking animal when It's not possible to do. They are going to die some way or another. If there are too many they overpopulate and everything else dies[/QUOTE]

so does that mean it's ok if I kill you or your family? because they are going to die eventually anyway also.

that's just illogical reasoning. and there are animals that eat other animals, and balance out the food chain, that's how the eco-system works. it's also why we've never found any fossil evidence of virtually any species becoming extinct due to "natural causes" other than natural disasters and meteors hitting the earth, and shit like that that destroys an entire species in one short period of time. most of the animals that have become extinct was in fact for the very reason that people killed them off, and unlike animals we are also the only one's that deplete natural resources faster than they can regenerate. even animals aren't that stupid.

so does that mean it's ok if I kill you or your family? because they are going to die eventually anyway also.

that's just illogical reasoning. and there are animals that eat other animals, and balance out the food chain, that's how the eco-system works. it's also why we've never found any fossil evidence of virtually any species becoming extinct due to "natural causes" other than natural disasters and meteors hitting the earth, and shit like that that destroys an entire species in one short period of time. most of the animals that have become extinct was in fact for the very reason that people killed them off, and unlike animals we are also the only one's that deplete natural resources faster than they can regenerate. even animals aren't that stupid.
    Yeah, people kill people all the damn time. The human race is overpopulated. That is one reason for war.

Yes, people use up natural resources, but that has nothing to do with animal rights. Yes, we have hunted some animals to point of extinction and yes, I think it is wrong. Just like us forcing human races to near extinction.

You apparently didn't get what I meant. I am saying the exact same thing as you. We can't save every cute little bunny and butterfly because they are going to die anyway. We can't intervene with the food chain.

We are also animals and we are also predators. The reason we are omnivorous is because our ancestors asked the question do I want to be the bear or the bunny? Humans have survived on animals since the beginning of time. They provided warmth, tools for making shelter and clothing, and food. Animals still provide us with many great things for our everyday lives.

Are you going to stop driving your car because you run over tons of small animals and splatter tons of different kinds of insects on your grill and windshield each year without even realizing it? The same goes with all methods of transportation.

Are you going to move out of your home or apartment because it's made of wood and there is a chance that it came from a rainforest that killed millions of animals? Are you going to stop going to cities because it wiped out a large section of area and killed surrounding wildlife? Are you going to stop using some of the cleaning products that you use because it kills animals in the sewers?

If a wild animal is hurt by another animal, and bleeding to death, there is no reason picking it up and taking it to a vet, and having emergency surgery done, just to save one little cute animal. It's costly, dangerous, and the animal is probably ready to die anyways. I know people who try to do this.

I'm talking about those activists who shoot hunters during legal hunting season so, that bambi can live even though they aren't even hunting fawns.

I'm talking about the activists that cover themselves in red paint and rub it all over leather shop walls because we use another part of a cow so, all of it isn't wasted.

I'm talking about the activists that don't use common sense before they act on something.

I actually ran into someone at a restaurant and got harassed because I ordered meat. They started in with the hoobla about how we get to choose what we eat and that we didn't have to eat meat. I just looked at her and said, "But I choose to." Then she started in about how killing cows were wrong and so on and so forth. I smiled and looked down at the ground. I told her to go change her shoes before she continued on with the conversation. She asked why. The dumb, preachy girl was wearing leather boots. She was mortified and left the restaurant.

So, if you want to be a bunny instead of a bear, be my guest. Just don't press what you believe in on others. Attacking people and preaching at them isn't effective in the least. I believe there was a thread on here about protests and how inefficient they are.

Well, I am Omnivorous, but I prefer Meat.

I prefer the Meat to be cooked in the following: Very Bloody, Rare, and Salty.

On a side note: Even though it may or may not have been the best Idea, when I was younger, I had a habbit of eating Raw Meat, since it tasted better. I havent eaten Meat Raw in years though.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Well, I am Omnivorous, but I prefer Meat.

I prefer the Meat to be cooked in the following: Very Bloody, Rare, and Salty.

On a side note: Even though it may or may not have been the best Idea, when I was younger, I had a habbit of eating Raw Meat, since it tasted better. I havent eaten Meat Raw in years though.
    I just had drool coming out of my mouth from how you like it cooked... I did, I really did...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    belladonna neither) ?

damn bella donna is the shit, i have'nt seen any of that in quite a while........it'll make you go damn crazy if you do it tooo much...........

are we thinking of the same bella donna....
    FAMILY : Solanaceae (Nightshade)
    GENUS : Atropa
    SPECIES : belladonna

I'm a veggie. I follow a pretty much vegan diet to be truthful, but I eat Quorn, and some of their stuff contains milk and eggs, so I'm not a true vegan in that sense of the word....

I recently tried tofu for the first time...it tastes like shit, and that's coming from a vegetarian, so don't say you haven't been warned!

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    ...I recently tried tofu for the first time...it tastes like shit, and that's coming from a vegetarian, so don't say you haven't been warned!
    Tofu comes in a very bland form most of the time, you need to spice it up and work with it a great deal to get the flavour that you want. We also have smoked and herbal tofu here as well as many tofu products with herbs and spices already in - such as sausages and the like - which taste wonderful. As with hamburgers and other dead body products, it is the added salt, the herbs and spices and the fat which makes the taste, not the meat itself.

As to being a vegetarian; I am a vegetarian because I wish to be. If someone else wishes to eat meat that is up to them; if someone wishes to drink urine, that is up to them. I'm not going to force anyone to follow my diet, nor do I expect anyone to force me to follow their's, although many have tried.

tofu is a damn songe you can make it taste like whatever you feel like ,once you learn to cook with it it can be pretty good,

try soaking it in hot sause breading and frying it ,it's pretty good.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i sorta am, not really for ethical reasons, its more i just really dont like meat and havent since i was little.

i found out from my mom some of the reason for it, when i was little, every time i went to take a bite of meat my mom would make to appropriate animal sound. she used to think it was funny until i stopped eating meat.

i can still eat hot-dogs, and bologna, but thats about it.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I could not imagine not allwoing myself to eat meat. I do not however eat meat all the time. My wife is an excellent cook and makes fantastic dishes which are purley veggie. She is now vegan and I have a lot of respect for her, I've seen just how difficult it is to restrict your diet so strictly I would not want to eat at all if I knew I could not eat cheese (p.s. If you didn't know, cheese may contain milk!) It's amazing how many things have animal by products in them. I've screwed up many a time thinking that I was doing a good thing and bringing home what I thought was something she would like only to find out it has some bizzare animal by-product in it. BTW, she eats vegan.... she is no activist and openly and proudly wears leather. She has found that eating this way allowed her to lose the few pounds that were really bugging her (you know, the ones the rest of the world can't see, but are oh so obvious to her??...). In my personal belief.... There is a food chian in nature.... you can be at the top of it, or the bottom. I prefer the top, and revel in my flesh eating ways.

This organic yoghurt I just bought tastes like plastic wall paper paste...

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    i sorta am, not really for ethical reasons, its more i just really dont like meat and havent since i was little.

i found out from my mom some of the reason for it, when i was little, every time i went to take a bite of meat my mom would make to appropriate animal sound. she used to think it was funny until i stopped eating meat.

i can still eat hot-dogs, and bologna, but thats about it.
    Guess she didn't know what noise a live Bologna made, huh?

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    This organic yoghurt I just bought tastes like plastic wall paper paste...
    Mix in a little honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Mix in a little honey.

Actually, this is the best way to diet, eat horrible food that tastes so bad you can't eat it!!!

After this photo shoot, I am pigging out!!! I am flying over to your house for artichoke heart quiche..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    Yeah, people kill people all the damn time. The human race is overpopulated. That is one reason for war.
    that goes back to what I said before. Isn't it funny that the people who site overpopulation as a justifcation for killing never jump for joy and volunteer themselves to be sacrficed as a solution?

You apparently didn't get what I meant. I am saying the exact same thing as you. We can't save every cute little bunny and butterfly because they are going to die anyway. We can't intervene with the food chain.
    that's exactly what we are doing. you're saying that saving aninals that would die as a result of nature is going against the the blance of the food chain, and it is, but so is killing animals that may have otherwise lived, had we not interfered.

We are also animals and we are also predators. The reason we are omnivorous is because our ancestors asked the question do I want to be the bear or the bunny? Humans have survived on animals since the beginning of time. They provided warmth, tools for making shelter and clothing, and food. Animals still provide us with many great things for our everyday lives.
    I don't think that it's morally wrong to kill an animal, as you and history has shown it has been very neccesary to do just that for many a viable means. however, what you have to ask yourself is this: is it morally wrong where one lives in a state of technological advacement that renders it unneccesary to kill animals for survival, and so then to torture and kill animals simply because you can?

just because humans have evolved to the point where we have the capabilites to obliterate ourselves, and everything else from extisence, doesn't mean that we've progressed very far above other animals. I don't claim to tell anyone what to do, just that they hold themselves to thier own standards, which so many people hypocritically do not. if you think that it's ok to kill something else for your benefit, It says very little of your so-called morality that you'd be so reluctant to put someone else in your place and die for them.

hey, I'm not willing to, so I wouldn't ask it of anyone or anything else for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    that goes back to what I said before. Isn't it funny that the people who site overpopulation as a justifcation for killing never jump for joy and volunteer themselves to be sacrficed as a solution?
    They do, it's called the military. People who enlist know that there life is on the line. They say they are doing it for their country, but all the same they are sacrificing their lives.

I do know what you are really meaning though, I know a lot of people who say stuff, but would never risk their life for what they preach. A better form of population control would be if people just stopped reproducing.

I never sited it as a justification, I was stating that the meat we eat is processed to be killed. Everytime one dies, another is made. There is no chance of a cow becoming extinct. No one says I'm going to have whale for dinner or Bald Eagle eggs for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't think that it's morally wrong to kill an animal, as you and history has shown it has been very neccesary to do just that for many a viable means. however, what you have to ask yourself is this: is it morally wrong where one lives in a state of technological advacement that renders it unneccesary to kill animals for survival, and so then to torture and kill animals simply because you can?
    I said above in my first statement, I think it's WRONG to torture animals for no reason. I am against animal cruelty and am all for preventing poaching and preventing the endangered from becoming extinct.

I am also all for better ways of killing animals when it comes to preparing them for food. I've seen what they do and it is very immoral and very sickening. But, I'm not about to stop eating meat because someone made a pair of leather shoes or because someone thinks that everyone should stop eating meat because if they did the world would become a "better place" or somehow man and beast would be at peace again.

Not only that, but lots of people in my family grow their own poultry and beef and kill it themselves. They do it in the most moral way they can think of. They make it as fast and as painless as possible and no parts go to waste. I actually prefer that over factory line produced meat because there are lots of risks of rats and body parts getting stuck in the grinders.

I'm not trying to fight with you. I just want you to understand where I am coming from. I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians. I just think some animal rights activists are going a little too deep and being hypocritical about what they are trying to push on others. I'm done with this discussion and I understand what you mean. I hope it is likewise.

ah, I am never done with discussion, it's the best way. and I only took contest with a few of your points, and I adressed those. I am not trying to fight with you, in fact, I agree with most of the things you said, that's why I did not comment on those things that I found agreeable. you've offered the best course of discussion on this topic so far, so I hope that you're not going to be nodding out, just for a little opposition. I am usualy of a more radical train of thought, and so I like to say things that maybe people migth not have thought of, whether they accept them or not, that is thier choice. my aim is to make people think, and I am glad for any "opposition" to do likewise for myself.

That's good that you try to keep things flowing and getting deeper in depth on boards. I like good discussion as well. I just had to put in that I wasn't trying to fight with you because some people get bent out of shape about certain subjects and think that I am being idiotic or ignorant and they are going to fight me over something I'm not trying to fight about, just trying to show my perspective.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

VEGITARIAN GIRLS TASTE BETTER

I have been Vegitarian for more than 10 years. I was "allowed by my parents" upon the arrival of my 13th birthday. I don't eat fish, beef, chicken etc. etc. Nothing that was ever living. But I do eat bi-products such as eggs (rarely, they are kind of gross) and CHEESE! I really love cheese a lot. But I am just a vegitarian because I don't like how meat tastes. I have no moral conflict with people who like meat. My mom was a hippie for a long time, I think she rubbed off on me.

I did once hear that broccoli is the only vegitable that can feel physical pain when you kill it. Now, I have been confused ever since. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I wear leather shoes. I cannot help it.

I hate kissing people after they eat fish. They taste disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar

I did once hear that broccoli is the only vegitable that can feel physical pain when you kill it. Now, I have been confused ever since. Does anyone know anything about this?
    I think its all plants. Again, I haven't actually looked up actual sites proving it.

Also, I wear leather shoes. I cannot help it.
    Leather is pretty much the best kind of material to use for boots, in my opinion.

I hate kissing people after they eat fish. They taste disgusting.
    I think fish period is disgusting. I can't eat seafood or I will vomit.

I have to eat a somewhat odd diet to begin with and it has to be high protein, but I'm allergic to so many things that there would be no way to do it at all being vegetarian. I do love animals and I will always pay extra for something which was treated more humanely such as organic or free range or kosher.

Weblogger

It is highly unlikely as, in order to feel pain, there must be a central system - the brain - which can convert the physical feelings into a realisation of pain, and that means there must also be a knowledge of what pain and pleasure are.

haha. that is what would be called Irony.

+ Reply to Thread