+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you die for?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default What would you die for?

So anyways, today being what it is I just received an email saying it may be time to "dust off my combat boots". Without belaboring the specifics on events overseas I was curious:

What causes, if any, would you be willing to fight and potentially die for?
    In what specific instances would you put your life at risk?
    What would have to be the end goal for you to put yourself in this situation?

For me, it would probably be the complete absence of any possible personal liberty and/or threats to my family and friends. It is harder than you may think to determine when this is actually the case.

So, what, if anything, would you risk your life(and potentially die) for?

OEC

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What would you die for?

I wouldnt die for anything or anyone but myself.

This may be a ridiculous question, and I certainly commend your response but:
    Under what circumstances does one die for oneself?

OEC

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

if a loved one was in trouble............ or if I was to be made a slave.

I would die for anyone that deserves to live. Besides, you only live to die.
    -Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRomance
    I would die for anyone that deserves to live. Besides, you only live to die.
    -Wednesday
    wow, interesting answer. But how would you determine if a given person deserves to live?
    That's a great quote in your profile btw.

OEC

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I would die for my x-fiance.

I used to be willing to die to be happy. I don't know if dieing would make me or anyone else happy now.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im not sure but if i decided to die for something it would probably be one of those spur of the moment deals so i wouldnt know till it happened

Good question, I think it would depend on what I think of them.I would live for pretty much anyone that hasn't done harm to other purposely. And if they have, I would probably still give then another chance.Expecially if they have a family.As long as they are willing to change.
    And thank you!

-Wednesday

Good question, I think it would depend on what I think of them.I would live for pretty much anyone that hasn't done harm to other purposely. And if they have, I would probably still give then another chance.Expecially if they have a family.As long as they are willing to change.
    And thank you!

-Wednesday
    That's cool, you seem to have good sense of justice. Who would I attribute that quote to?

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

willing to die, sounds like quittin talk to me, I have thought about that one and I dont think that I will ever be "willing" to die death would be a failure in my mission , wich is figuring out what my mission is
    however if I die I die I can live with that

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you said it best mr karl. I completly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    willing to die, sounds like quittin talk to me, I have thought about that one and I dont think that I will ever be "willing" to die death would be a failure in my mission , wich is figuring out what my mission is
    however if I die I die I can live with that
    I would qualify the statement more as what would you risk your life for? I am thinking of instances where you might be oppressed and had very limited options. The classic case scenario would be whether you would fight an invading army or remain reticent in the hopes they would not come after you. I'm thinking more of instances where you would stand up and put yourself at risk rather than remaining reticent.

OEC

I'd hide in the trees and shoot them, and i'd dig holes in the ground and fill them up with sharpened sticks, and then put a dummy of me in my house and a tape recorder of me sleeping, with the lights out, and then screw grenades into the light bulb sockets for when they tried to turn on the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'd hide in the trees and shoot them, and i'd dig holes in the ground and fill them up with sharpened sticks, and then put a dummy of me in my house and a tape recorder of me sleeping, with the lights out, and then screw grenades into the light bulb sockets for when they tried to turn on the lights.
    You rock.

OEC

What would I possibly decide to risk My life for?: That depends on the incentive, motivation, situation,etc.

What would I willingly give up My life, and die for?: Nothing. I am no martyr.*

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

To protect or save a child. Although, I'd make damn sure I lived through it to see another day, but I'd be willing to put myself in the position where dying was a possibility if that meant a child could survive.

The thing is it is hard to define the breaking point of an abstract. I would die to protect the freedom of myself and my loved ones, but without seeing it first hand, it is near impossible to say when is the time to put myself on the line.

The only ones I know (or at least believe) are if I believed could stop a violent death or ****, but for an abstract (freedom, justice, equality, peace) I would have to see it to tell.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

for me, it'll be when i finally turn 18, its the earliest u can join the reserves w/o parental signature.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I will never die. I have decided not to die.

I will arrange to have my website go on after my death so that no one will know that I am dead. And I will still hang out and haunt places that I like.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    This may be a ridiculous question, and I certainly commend your response but:
    Under what circumstances does one die for oneself?

OEC
    I would not take the chance of dieing for anyone but myself. That makes more sense.

[QUOTE=Cafe_Post_Mortem]The thing is it is hard to define the breaking point of an abstract. I would die to protect the freedom of myself and my loved ones, but without seeing it first hand, it is near impossible to say when is the time to put myself on the line.

That's a very good point. I guess it would come down to a specific situation as opposed to just a "belief".

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I will never die. I have decided not to die.

I will arrange to have my website go on after my death so that no one will know that I am dead. And I will still hang out and haunt places that I like.
    I actually believe you will, for whatever that is worth.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    What would I possibly decide to risk My life for?: That depends on the incentive, motivation, situation,etc.

What would I willingly give up My life, and die for?: Nothing. I am no martyr.*
    I guess the only caveat would be were all "martyrs" willing?

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    I would not take the chance of dieing for anyone but myself. That makes more sense.
    I hear you. I'm glad we live in a time (for the most part) where that sentiment is even possible.

OEc

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    To protect or save a child. Although, I'd make damn sure I lived through it to see another day, but I'd be willing to put myself in the position where dying was a possibility if that meant a child could survive.
    I definitely agree with that sentiment.

OEC

That's cool, you seem to have good sense of justice. Who would I attribute that quote to?

OEC

Hmmm.... don't remember only that is just from a serial killer....I have read about so many serial killers I just can't get my facts straight anymore!

Hmmm.... don't remember only that is just from a serial killer....I have read about so many serial killers I just can't get my facts straight anymore!
    Sounds like Charles Manson, possibly. He tends to emphasize the "mirror".

OEC

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

I'd die for my boyfriend and my daughter. I would hate to lose them or to see them suffer, so if it ever came down to them or me, it would be me definitly.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

I guess the only caveat would be were all "martyrs" willing?

OEC

Martyr: One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
    One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.

Seems that by definition, martyrs are considered willing. So I guess the question is, "What are you willing to be martyred for?"

For myself the answer is....I am actually rather willing to die for anything that is close to me or that I love, even some things that I don't always love. If someone threatens any of the things I hold dear, you can believe that I won't go down alone.

fashion's Avatar Junior Member

I would take the bullit for just one human alive.

I guess I'd say anything that I couldn't do by having lived. which aint much, so I'd rather live. not that i'd mind dying, I don't care if I died tommorrow, I try to live my life to the fullest, and do whatever makes me happy in a particular moment.
    for most of us we'd never have to be put in a james bond situation where we had the choice of living or dying and facing the consequences of whatever choice that was. even soldiers know they may die, but most of them, unless they are kamikaze, don't take up the battle with the intention of dying in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Martyr: One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
    One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.

Seems that by definition, martyrs are considered willing. So I guess the question is, "What are you willing to be martyred for?"

For myself the answer is....I am actually rather willing to die for anything that is close to me or that I love, even some things that I don't always love. If someone threatens any of the things I hold dear, you can believe that I won't go down alone.
    Good point. I guess in a sense I would reject death by the first definition outright. I would hardly choose death on religious principle. The second definition is a bit vague. Death for ideology is a tenuous and unlikely choice for me. I would tend to agree that it would have to be for that which I love that I would even risk sacrifice. I would include a person or people and overcoming oppression in my willingness to risk. I suppose this does not, by definition, entail martyrdom. I suppose another question would be a perception of martyrdom in death as opposed to martyrdom by definition.

OEC

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I would die for my children without a second thought...But then again, what chaos and madness will the next few generations have to live in/with? That's both a sad and disturbing thought. And Of course, this thread could spawn so much more, if you beleive in reincarnation etc. I think Wednesday said it best...We only live to die...for all of us will indeed die someday, you can bank on it..Might as well die for something worth while.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

We don't live to day...that's utter bullshit...if death was the point of living we wouldn't need to be born...

You live to LIVE...if you're not gonna do anything with your life then fill a grave early and quit taking up space amoung the living.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    We don't live to day...that's utter bullshit...if death was the point of living we wouldn't need to be born...

You live to LIVE...if you're not gonna do anything with your life then fill a grave early and quit taking up space amoung the living.
    I dont think the context of the phrase was meant like that, but in the grander mind of things. In all reality when we are born, from then on we are ultimatly moving closer to death...alpha....omega...

I dont think Wednesday was saying we live everyday hoping to die...more that death will find us all...eventually...do something good with your time here.

When I was assigned to the 187th regimental combat team,airborne death often crossed our minds. We were a very tight knit group with an uncanny allegence to each other. There was none of this fighting for my country or moms apple pie. We fought and died for each other and for the colors of our unit.
    You cannot choose your battles only god can do that for you, but you can plant a standard one never flew. And to you one eyed cat "heres to us and those like us, dammed few left". nobody hates war more than the men who have to fight it. So to answer the question I would die for my fellow solider in the fox hole next to me.

for those who will never expirence this type bond I feel it is your loss. Death is horrible there is nothing nice about it. I still remember how each person fell as i shot them, some simply crumbled to the ground, others flew backwards, some spun around and flipped. some continued to charge forward as i could see there body being jolted and racked by each 60 grain 5.56 round slamming into them. my rifle spit out instant death.

Panama
    gulf war.. 1990
    somalia 1993

Quote Originally Posted by edgonz456
    When I was assigned to the 187th regimental combat team,airborne death often crossed our minds. We were a very tight knit group with an uncanny allegence to each other. There was none of this fighting for my country or moms apple pie. We fought and died for each other and for the colors of our unit.
    You cannot choose your battles only god can do that for you, but you can plant a standard one never flew. And to you one eyed cat "heres to us and those like us, dammed few left". nobody hates war more than the men who have to fight it. So to answer the question I would die for my fellow solider in the fox hole next to me.

for those who will never expirence this type bond I feel it is your loss. Death is horrible there is nothing nice about it. I still remember how each person fell as i shot them, some simply crumbled to the ground, others flew backwards, some spun around and flipped. some continued to charge forward as i could see there body being jolted and racked by each 60 grain 5.56 round slamming into them. my rifle spit out instant death.

Panama
    gulf war.. 1990
    somalia 1993
    I think you may have misconstrued my intent. I do not believe any answer here to be "right" or "wrong". I salute your service, distaste for war, and allegiance to your friends.

OEC

NINA SINN's Avatar Senior Member
    alaska, can you believe i seriously lived thtere.... no really it is beautiful there...

MY SON GENOVESE... HE IS MY HEART, SOUL, THE LOVE OF MY LIFE...... THERE IS NOT A THING IN THE WORLD THAT I WOULDNT DO FOR HIM OR GIVE HIM.... THERE IS NO DOUBT IF IT CAME DOWN TO MY LIFE OR HIS I WOULD DIE FOR HIM!!!!!!! MOMMIE LOVES YOU GENO.....

BLOODYKISSES TO ALL...
    NINA SINN 666

the war story reminded me of a good short story thing.here goes.

The general has only eighty men, and the enemy five thousand. In his tent the general curses and weeps. Then he writes an inspired proclamation and homing pigeons shower copies over the enemy camp. Two hundred desert on foot to the general. There follows a skirmish which the general wins easily; and two regiments come over to his side. Three days later, the enemy has only eighty men and the general five thousand. The general writes another proclamation and seventy-nine more men join up with him. Only one enemy is left, surrounded by the army of the general, who waits in silence. The night passes and the enemy has not come over to his side. The general curses and weeps in his tent. At dawn the enemy slowly unsheathes his sword and advances on the general's tent. He goes in and looks at him. The army of the general disbands. The sun rises.

+ Reply to Thread