+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who is looking forward to ThanksGiving, who is dreading it?

Default Who is looking forward to ThanksGiving, who is dreading it?

Well?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Who is looking forward to ThanksGiving, who is dreading it?

fuck it..........thats it just fuck it............

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i love it because comitting one of the 7 deadly sins is encouraged

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Just a whole lotta drinking...so yeah...I look forward to it.

I feel fat enough without it. My boyfriend and I don't have plans for dinner or anything because both our families live far away. We will probably go to a restaurant or maybe just buy something small and festive.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Stir fry veggies with turkey? I can't eat ANYTHING on Thanksgiving.... Oh well...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

A couple of years ago, my mother actually called me around the end of November and asked me what I did for Thanksgiving. I was silent for a few moments while I thought about how to respond. Finally I told her that I had a huge dinner with my whole family and it was really great. Last year, she didn't come up with anything like that to ask. My parents don't do holidays at all. My various grandparents may have had something to do with this.

Here is an article I wrote about Thanksgiving ages ago for my old punk rock humor zine BLT when I was living in a punk rock group house and my mother was in charge of something or other in New Zealand. It is archived online at http://www.blackleathertimes.com/v4_1/3.html

10 More Excuses for Bagging Thanksgiving Dinner with the Family

by Amelia G

(1) Claim you were just promoted to Lord G-d King at work and the only catch is you have to work Thanksgiving.

(2) Mail your relations a bunch of paranoid articles about the dangers of travel.

(3) Move to an even more distant country. (My parents weren't sure they could continue to avoid these things while living in Brazil so they moved to New Zealand.)

(4) Put a gigantic turkey bone through your septum piercing and insist on wearing it throughout dinner. Maybe they will be too disgusted to invite you back next year.

(5) Refuse to eat any of the food put in front of you because you are on a hunger strike to protest the reprehensible treatment of Native Americans. Make loud comparisons to Nazi Germany. Maybe they will be too pissed-off to invite you back next year.

(6) Wear a ten inch Doc Johnson Realistic strap-on under your dress but act otherwise normal. Maybe they will be too weirded-out to invite you back next year.

(7) Engage your elderly and/or traditionalist relatives in a vigorous debate over whether you should get your penis removed before or after the boob job. Maybe they will die on the spot.

(8) Explain calmly and rationally that, although you like many of your relatives independently, as a group they make you nauseous.

(9) Commit suicide the day before you are supposed to drive up.

(10) Go to the event. Bring your significant other. Be on your best behavior. Make sure your lover is also on his or her best behavior. Both of you can be friendly, polite, and conservatively well-groomed. That way, when your family is totally rude and acts like they don't remember you said you want to marry this person, you can -- you can -- you can, uhm . . . well . . . you can write hostile little zine articles and feel much more self-righteous about blowing off Thanksgiving with the Insensitivity Posse.

My grandmother tells me everyone always asks for me. I usually take the mature approach and deny the validity of this claim. Then I call my parents in New Zealand at eighty cents a minute and complain. They used method #10 as well so they understand. (Not kidding.)

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I like the time with my family. Next year I'm not going to see them for a very long time. I'm more interested in Christmas this year, because I won't see my dad and my sisters for 2 years after that. But as far as Thanksgiving goes, I always look forward to my grandmother's pecan pie.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I don't have any direct family any more - apart from children - and we don't do Thanksgiving over here anyway. I've been invited to an Advent gathering (with food) by the Freemasons in Bremen, though, if that counts.

It's just another day to me, not really doing anything special..what I'm REALLY dreading is Christmas :.:sigh:.: ...The most depressing holiday of the year.
    -Wednesday

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

Well last year my mother passed out at the table and had to take a helicopter ride to the hospital because they found a large tumor on her brain.
    A few days ago, one of the guests from last year also found a tumor growing on her brain. It should be an interesting day, im calling the paramedics ahead of time.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I have never minded thanksgiving. It really depends on the cast of characters who assemble to celebrate someone else's forebears who slaughtered the Indians; then stole their respective recipe books. Gregorian Christmas (12/25) is generally annoying to me. Orthodox Christmas (January 7th) rocks, however. The actual celebrations last for several weeks. You don't have to believe, you just have to drink to every toast offered

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    HHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH Brilliant!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Trotter -- I hope this year went a bit more smoothly.

Halcyon -- I want to see the picture in the series after that one

If anyone needs me, I'll be celebrating Orthodox Xmas with OneEyedCat

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

The third coast will be right along with "yall"Ameliag and OEC as i belive that be enufe reason to celebrate

OB~26

+ Reply to Thread