+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Live Music vs. Recorded Music

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Live Music vs. Recorded Music

Which do you prefer? Live shows or prerecorded music on your computer, CD player, or television?

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Default Re: Live Music vs. Recorded Music

Depends on the band, song, preformance, etc.... Some bands and songs just cant cut it live, while some explode when in a live setting. I was a huge Metallica fan (pre Load), but I never got into "Harvester of Sorrow" until I heard it live. I think its a pretty boring song on CD, but Live that song is HUGELY heavy. Megadeth is a band that I think made some of the best thrash CD's out there (Peace Sells.., Rust in Peace..). but live, Dave's voice is so nasal and loud that it makes the whole thing unlistenable. Sometimes just the raw energy a band has live can make a song sound totally different.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Which do you prefer? Live shows or prerecorded music on your computer, CD player, or television?
    I like live shows, the atmosphere, the constant crowd movement it is just so much more fun. alot of the bands I listen to sound better live then what cd could ever capture...as for the second question, I say CDPlayer. I simpley do not watch TV (except the simpons) & realy hate the fact that so many people rely on TV as their main source of exposure & entertainment. rather sickening in my opinion.

Live Shows, but Concerts are currently not an option.**

Though you can take Recorded Music around with you.*

Mother Superior

I absolutely hate live music, period. A concert of course is different but I mean for listening at home.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

I prefer prerecorded music. I don't like listening to live music, because it's irritating to hear a bunch of people cheering at the beginning and ending of songs, and the sound quality isn't as good.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I love both, it depends on the music and the forum...I Think two of the Best live shows I have ever been to were Refused...they are just awesome live and they carry thier recorded sound quite well live. They of course broke up. Fugazi....they alwasy put thier musicanship at 200% and record or CD or LP your going to get your money's worth, they also have broken up. it really depends on the Venue I saw Atari Teenage Riot in a small intimate Venue and a larger venue the smaller venue was much better...most large venues are not designed to sound well they are meant to sell well, your going for the overall expiernce, and the sound never seems to matter but I am sure there are exceptances....I love music period...so going to a show or picking up a hot slab of wax or a CD always makes me a very happy man....I am sensing a Music REVIEW!!!! WARNING!!!!!IMINANT CONTAMINATION IN 1 MINUTE ALL OUTTER DEFENSE SYSTEMS ON AUTO ALL INNER DEFENSE SYSTEMS CHECK ALL WALKWAYS AND CREW FACILTIES LOCKEDDOWN 45 SECONDS AND COUNTING....

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm not too fond of listening to a playback of live music; most of those are dog shit for quality, though there are a few occasional gems. Though as far as being there vs listening to a CD goes, in almost all cases I would rather see a band live. There are always exceptions, mostly in the case of bands that just don't put on a good live show, but for the most part live is the way to go.

It depends on the band and venue equipment for live stuff. If it's folk like acoustic stuff, I like it live. I'd rather hear an orchestra live than listen to it on cd. Then, there are the cult classic bands that you just HAVE to see live because they can really make a great show.
    If you record something right, and not with shitty equipment and hardware, then recorded music is great. You get a new experience with it. You can make sounds grow and fade and just totally make something sound cool and different. If you have the right headphones or speakers, it can totally change the perspective on the room you happen to be in. Either way, they are both great and horrible at the same time.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

it is nice being able to take it with you, as bright star said. recorded music is not always the 'true' quality of musicianship, in the studio there are so many takes and mixing and editing, I think it shows a far greater talent to be able to play on the spot. I love going to shows becasue it's not just about the music, it's about being able to hang out with the band and see them as real people, not just those guys in the cd booklet, and having fun with your freinds and other people that share your same love of music.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

When she said live, I assumed she meant live as in going to a show, not recorded live.

BTW has anyone seen Poison The Well live? they know how to turn a fucking show upside down & inside out repeatidly. seriously, live they have to be some of the best performers to ever grace a stage.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    BTW has anyone seen Poison The Well live? they know how to turn a fucking show upside down & inside out repeatidly. seriously, live they have to be some of the best performers to ever grace a stage.
    Yeah, I saw them live when they came through here with AFI and Autopilot Off. That was quite possibly the one of the most amazing shows I've ever been to.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I saw em a while back to it was pretty good.

I love live music, even bad live music.

Well ok, not bad live music. But I am much more forgiving with a live band. If the band is putting out any kind of effort in the show, it just has more feeling to me.

I love a good live show, but there is nothing more painful than a bad live performance by a band I previously liked from listening at home.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I prefer live, have little time to get out to concerts, though.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I've seen a lot of bands that I don't have a cd for. I've also seen bands live where later on I stopped listening to them (like Korn). I'm glad to know most of the bands I listen to put on a good live show.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

For the music; DEFINATELY recorded. I've seen so many bands live that can't live up to their recorded sound.

I enjoy bands that can put on a good show however. Showmanship and presence is very key.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

if you really want to piss me off buy me a live cd of a band as a present... i love seeing a band perform live... but that is an experience ... the music is just a small portion of the experience... and of course I don't think the music can compare to the studio perfected version. (especially when it comes to harder stuff like hardcore ,deathmetal black metal etc) the hard stuff live just sounds like a chaotic mess that i consider myself lucky if i can make out a steady beat in which i can mosh to... while on the cd you can pick out all the tiny distinct details that make that otherwise pure chaos into a real song.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

InMyArrogantOpinion, it depends on the band.

TISM have a great live presence, and musically are just as good on stage as in the studio. likewise Shriekback.

Severed Heads have generated just about every waveform known to man in their albums, but seeing them live was embarrassing for everyone concerned.

Einstuerzende Neubauten were fantastic; i left the venue absolutely convinced i could speak German.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i love live music i like live CDs as well if they are well recorded i think they sound better and tend to be much more raw esp. with classic rock bands for example i think Led Zeppelins gretest album is that live album that came out a few years back called How the West Was Won it is fucking awesome

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    I absolutely hate live music, period. A concert of course is different but I mean for listening at home.
    Oh I don't know. The chance of having Pink Floyd or Nightwish playing live in my living room is reasonably appealing ...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Oh I don't know. The chance of having Pink Floyd or Nightwish playing live in my living room is reasonably appealing ...
    There you are Nightingale! Where have you been hiding?

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    There you are Nightingale! Where have you been hiding?
    Last week I didn't have a free night to myself at all at all. 75 years cinema in the town - invited on Monday. Tuesday was a book reading by an author of criminal thrillers based in our area (although he lives elsewhere). Wednesday I was in Bremen for an Advents dinner. Thursday was the initial meeting of a soon to be formed association on crime prevention. Friday was the setting up of the prize giving for my photographic competition. Saturday was the Christmas Market (first day); Saturday night through to Sunday morning I was completing a special contract for my firm. Sunday was the prize giving for the photographic competition during the Christmas Market (second day).

Inbetween I did manage to eat and sleep and I'm sure I posted a couple of times too ....

And how are you? Thin or still struggling?

Last week I didn't have a free night to myself at all at all. 75 years cinema in the town - invited on Monday. Tuesday was a book reading by an author of criminal thrillers based in our area (although he lives elsewhere). Wednesday I was in Bremen for an Advents dinner. Thursday was the initial meeting of a soon to be formed association on crime prevention. Friday was the setting up of the prize giving for my photographic competition. Saturday was the Christmas Market (first day); Saturday night through to Sunday morning I was completing a special contract for my firm. Sunday was the prize giving for the photographic competition during the Christmas Market (second day).

Inbetween I did manage to eat and sleep and I'm sure I posted a couple of times too ....

Can you show us your photo that won the prize? Oh, I am totally thin now!! Lost all the weight, can't even gain it back!!!!

Oh, wait, where is my artichoke quiche? I am flying over there right now!!!

Weblogger

Can you show us your photo that won the prize? Oh, I am totally thin now!! Lost all the weight, can't even gain it back!!!!
    Not my photo! I'm the chairman of the jury and the person who started the whole thing four years ago. I'm not allowed to enter!

Actually, I only take photos for fun and for my web site; I'm far too blind to take decent photos otherwise, but I do collect them.

Weblogger

Oh, wait, where is my artichoke quiche? I am flying over there right now!!!
    I ate it.

Every last crumb.

Alone.

I'll make another one during the week - since I have free time again - and post piccies, just to help you get that weight back on again!

I ate it.

Every last crumb.

Alone.

I'll make another one during the week - since I have free time again - and post piccies, just to help you get that weight back on again!

Really? Will you post pics of artichoke quiche? That would be great!!!

ravenofdeath's Avatar Lord of Death

Well to tell the truth i prefer recorded music because u dont have all those people yelling so u cant hear the music but thats just me.

Weblogger

Really? Will you post pics of artichoke quiche? That would be great!!!
    But not just yet; I'm busy mashing potatoes to go with my vegetarian chicken fricasse at the moment, and they will soon be gone too....

+ Reply to Thread