+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All I wanted was a Pepsi

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default All I wanted was a Pepsi

Is it just me or are the last sinewy strands of civility in this country finally breaking?
    Upon entering a restaurant, I was enchanted to cries of "Satan". Upon leaving, I was informed by said individuals that if I "parked my cab" on ----- Street again they would take it.

To begin with, I've never driven a cab. I say nothing and bother noone. It is not isolated to this incident. As I travel the streets, I am increasingly confronted with the projected frustration of others. I have been insulated, perhaps, by my 3 year stay in academia. Are these simply isolated incidents or has it really gotten a lot worse over the past several years?

OEC

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Default Re: All I wanted was a Pepsi

Unfortunatley, no these are not isolated incidents. In the past few months I have been confronted by people far to willing to give me their opinion whether I wanted it or not. Now Im guessing here, but the people in question were not adults, right? I am amazed at how confrontational kids and teens have become lately (last few yrs). I was a punk ass stoner in my day, so Its not like I was ward cleaver or anything, but I would have never said or done half of the things I see these kids do. I just had a group of 8 year old kids knock on my door on halloween and tell me (as I am filling the little bastards bags with candy) that my house was a mess and I needed to clean it! Whats worse is their parents were 10 ft behind them and they said nothing! If I tried that shit I would have gotten my block knocked off! I think that the problem stems from bad parenting.... not wanting to actually raise your kids and teach them things like manners and right from wrong. They let TV do all the work for them. I know that all generations have had bad kids, but I think this is the worst batch yet.

I say it is the parents, as well as the politicians that are major contributers to all of that, among other factors.

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

I definately agree with that. But Ive noticed its just not kids either. I work at a Savers, or a nation wide thrift store, if you dont have one. I am visibly pierced and I get harrassed on a daily basis by not even elderly, but middleaged people about the way I look. Now when I was younger I WAS a freakin little goody two shoes. I still am with my behaviors, but it just so happens that my look is extreme. I am a very polite, sincere, caring person but I get told Im going to hell for getting pierced and dying my hair black. On other occasions I get "What in god's name have you done to your face""Thats so ugly""Im so glad my kids dont do that" ALL BY GROWN ADULTS. Now when the kids stare I can pass it off on bad parenting and being taught no manners. And if a child is honestly curious I answer all their questions, but its their parents that get to me the most.

Case in point, JUST TODAY: Im putting merchandise away and these two young boys are drop jaw staring at me, probably 6 and 8. They tap their dad on the shoulder and whisper something to him. He respondes with "Yeah, scarey isnt it" looking me dead in the face. I say back to him "No, not really" with my upbeat customer service voice and he argues back "Yes, yes it is" Im like what the hell?! Ok, your opinion is one thing, but damn why teach your kids that. You know what I find scarey is parents like you. Makes you wonder if he would say the same about a black person or any other minority. I feel that situation could have been handled better on the fathers behalf. I have had awesome parents that explain to their kids what piercings are and that they are a choice, and Im so happy to hear them be polite about it all.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am not scarey So I get alittle wound up when I get on this topic. But I do see a general decline in manners. Whether its a person's opinion or not, its just general bad manners to say it outloud. I think thats where things are changing. Not that people are getting worse, but that we speak our mind without thinking first more.

there is nothing a politicain is going to say that will make a child smash a mailbox with a baseball bat or hit a kid 3 years younger than they are or scream cuss words on the playground....There is no reason you can blame anyone but the parents when kids start school with bad manners and cruel intentions...George Bush may or may not be an idiot but he certainly had NOTHING to do with that.....Watch Niceloden for 10 mintues and you'll see 8 fart jokes and a transvestite joke...Not enough parents are checking what their kids watch, read or see on tv and in real life....Is it really ok for Brittney Spears to be an 8 year olds role model?no of course not....If Mom dresses like a skank at the mall how do you think her kids are gonna dress....If you are acting like an ass everytime you go out in public how do you think your kids will behave...If you don't stop them or punish them for misbehavior it will only get worse.....One major problem is these bleeeding heart jackasses who think if you spank your kid they'll be scarred for life....Bull....If you BEAT them yes...but spanking....no I was spanked as a kid when I got out of line....as a result I say yes please and thank you I open doors for people and I don't walk in front of on coming cars.....I also don't start fights in malls or yell cruel things at people.....It is well past time parents accept responsiblity for their childrens actions....and DO something about it instead of blaming everyone else.

By the way.... Great ST reference (20 pts!!)

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateGoth
    By the way.... Great ST reference (20 pts!!)
    ST comes to mind in those situations. To answer your question, they were adults whom I would place at about 40. The incident was minor, but it just brought to mind how antagonistic our society seems to have become. I think you are all probably correct about the next generation. I would attribute the blame more to the mass media than to politicians (not that politicians have helped)

OEC

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

It truly is frightening the way people react to anything that doesn't quite fit with their perceptions of how things should be. I was recently fired--oh, excuse me, "let go"--from a tech position on the basis of my mohawk violating some or another bit of company policy. I had it when I got the job, had it every day I worked there, and my boss was fine with it. Of course, when his boss came by on some or another bullshit pretense for inspecting the herd, I was canned on the spot. Apparently, someone who looked like me working there would give the customers the wrong kind of impression of the company; never mind the fact that I'm competant and that the customers never even see the techs--fuck, most of them don't even know we're back there. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    It truly is frightening the way people react to anything that doesn't quite fit with their perceptions of how things should be. I was recently fired--oh, excuse me, "let go"--from a tech position on the basis of my mohawk violating some or another bit of company policy. I had it when I got the job, had it every day I worked there, and my boss was fine with it. Of course, when his boss came by on some or another bullshit pretense for inspecting the herd, I was canned on the spot. Apparently, someone who looked like me working there would give the customers the wrong kind of impression of the company; never mind the fact that I'm competant and that the customers never even see the techs--fuck, most of them don't even know we're back there. Oh well.
    That sucks. I had actually assumed the whole "work appearance" issue was getting better.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    That sucks. I had actually assumed the whole "work appearance" issue was getting better.

OEC
    Depends on where you are , really. If you deal with the customers then in most cases you're still pretty regulated, though behind the scenes is getting a lot better. It hinges mostly on whoever's in charge.

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

I find that a lot of parents are not as observent of their children so thay just let them go and do a lot of surprising things that may shock and disturbe others this may stem from lack of supervision and that is i think steming from lack of time at home it is a lot harder these days to be a working parent and still be able to take proper care of youre children i will be back later to elaborate later

OB~26

Quote Originally Posted by Oil~Boy 26
    I find that a lot of parents are not as observent of their children so thay just let them go and do a lot of surprising things that may shock and disturbe others this may stem from lack of supervision and that is i think steming from lack of time at home it is a lot harder these days to be a working parent and still be able to take proper care of youre children i will be back later to elaborate later

OB~26
    I think parents have a duty to help develop their children's interests and creativity. My family read to me from the time I was in a cradle. I may have rebelled, but it gave me a set of solitary interests to keep me grounded. I think it would be hard to actually keep a child sheltered from negative influences, however. In some ways, it would not even be advisable.

OEC

No, I think people are getting worse and worse. Some people just think their opinion is wanted to be known everywhere even if they are the only one to hear it except for the person being insulted.
    The other day, I went grocery shopping and just threw something on because I didn't feel very well. I wore a skirt and a spahgetti strapped shirt. I had my fall jacket on which is black suede with furry cuffs and neck. Also, a pair of puma tennis shoes with no socks were on my feet . I had no make-up on whatsoever and this black chick who was leaving the parking lot as I walked in, drove up slammed on her breaks and yelled, " I know you a hoe." and sped off. It was 7pm. What was the logic of that?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I have been saying for a while the USA is the new Neo Germany for a while driven by fear and and an leader witha world agenda. I guess now the people are starting to see it themselves. I am sorry that happened to you. There is deffinetley something afoot. As people get more scared they will deal less with what matters and all falls apart as they escape thier fears....

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    I have been saying for a while the USA is the new Neo Germany for a while driven by fear and and an leader witha world agenda. I guess now the people are starting to see it themselves. I am sorry that happened to you. There is deffinetley something afoot. As people get more scared they will deal less with what matters and all falls apart as they escape thier fears....
    Sad but true, my friend, sad but true. Luckily, I have been able to escape any actual harm. I think there is an element of fear to it, altho I sense a bit of desperation as well.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    No, I think people are getting worse and worse. Some people just think their opinion is wanted to be known everywhere even if they are the only one to hear it except for the person being insulted.
    The other day, I went grocery shopping and just threw something on because I didn't feel very well. I wore a skirt and a spahgetti strapped shirt. I had my fall jacket on which is black suede with furry cuffs and neck. Also, a pair of puma tennis shoes with no socks were on my feet . I had no make-up on whatsoever and this black chick who was leaving the parking lot as I walked in, drove up slammed on her breaks and yelled, " I know you a hoe." and sped off. It was 7pm. What was the logic of that?
    That is simply a negative self-assessment projected onto you. I should clarify that I do not see the US as similar to Nazi Germany, I simply believe an aspect of our soul has withered.

OEC

an aspect of our soule as depicted by OEC has been lost but it is up to us to reenstill that whitch has been lost in order to keep us from being sent backwards intoo time from what we have worked so hard for

OB~26
    Last edited by Oil~Boy 26; 11-27-2004 at 04:12 AM. Reason: DRUNK

Feal Free To Post Upon My Opinions As I Need The Criticisom To Keep Me Grounded

[QUOTE=OneEyedCat]ST comes to mind in those situations. To answer your question, they were adults whom I would place at about 40. The incident was minor, but it just brought to mind how antagonistic our society seems to have become. I think you are all probably correct about the next generation. I would attribute the blame more to the mass media than to politicians (not that politicians have helped)
    40 y/o ADULTS?? ok, I have not run into too much of that. I was however harassed by a geriatric old lady in a store because I allowed my 8 y/o daughter to drink a Sprite (All I wanted was a pepsi!) in a Wal-Mart. I was told that I was destroting her health and that in "her day"children NEVER drank soda. Never mind the fact that my daughter went out of her way (through no prompting) to hold the door open for her. I was stunned, but did elaborate that while I was destroying her health, I had managed to teach her better manners that some nosy old busybody. Its bad enough when kids act in the way you described, but I think its even worse when adults do it. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

I think it's funny when someone older than you goes out of their way to insult you, but doesn't manage to speak proper English.

Quote Originally Posted by Oil~Boy 26
    Feal Free To Post Upon My Opinions As I Need The Criticisom To Keep Me Grounded
    Agree with your general sentiment in that instance. What is to be done, tho?

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    I think it's funny when someone older than you goes out of their way to insult you, but doesn't manage to speak proper English.
    Calls of Satan and cabs I don't drive are especially amusing. The spoke colloquial english indicative of the streets, really. Would not fault them there.

OEC

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

alright, call me blonde, over worked or just daft, but when i read the thread title..*all i wanted was a pepsi*...all i could think about is the song titled *Institutionalized* by the Suicidal Tendencies...had that infamous line in it...All I wanted was a pepsi,...just a pepsi...and she wouldnt give it to me...heh heh ..thats all i have to say about that!

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    alright, call me blonde, over worked or just daft, but when i read the thread title..*all i wanted was a pepsi*...all i could think about is the song titled *Institutionalized* by the Suicidal Tendencies...had that infamous line in it...All I wanted was a pepsi,...just a pepsi...and she wouldnt give it to me...heh heh ..thats all i have to say about that!
    I really did just get a Pepsi.

OEC

can you get me a Dr.Pepper next time?

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    can you get me a Dr.Pepper next time?
    Pick me one up too. I'm pretty addicted to the stuff.

ahhh suicidal tendencies...hahahhaha yeah

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I try to avoid a lot of places now from shit that I get from people. For example there is one restaurant here in Topeka that I've only been to once because of the looks I got. But then again, Topeka is the white supremacy capital of the US and home to Fred Phelps and his godhatesfags.com. I can't wait till August..........

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    I try to avoid a lot of places now from shit that I get from people. For example there is one restaurant here in Topeka that I've only been to once because of the looks I got. But then again, Topeka is the white supremacy capital of the US and home to Fred Phelps and his godhatesfags.com. I can't wait till August..........
    I hear ya. I've heard it all from fag on down. The deeper issue that came to mind was simply the tension I see around me. That particular incident was actually very mild. I was actually square in the middle of the University district, which made it a bit odd.

Given other events that have taken place there, it definitely goes beyond me or how I may appear.

OEC

Is it just me or are the last sinewy strands of civility in this country finally breaking?
    Upon entering a restaurant, I was enchanted to cries of "Satan". Upon leaving, I was informed by said individuals that if I "parked my cab" on ----- Street again they would take it.

To begin with, I've never driven a cab. I say nothing and bother noone. It is not isolated to this incident. As I travel the streets, I am increasingly confronted with the projected frustration of others. I have been insulated, perhaps, by my 3 year stay in academia. Are these simply isolated incidents or has it really gotten a lot worse over the past several years?

OEC
    I dunno, dude. I think people on the whole are pretty fuct. I always get this negativity bullshit from poeple. Last time in in-patient psych I had my Army of Darkness comic confiscated because it was "neagtive" yet for some reason they let me keep my slayer album.

I'm pretty tired of people always trying to paint their faces white; waxing them over from any ill society might endoctrinate in them whatsoever.

These people forget the bad because it purturbs them---everyone has to get along! But I think if they were to actually explore these feelings they wouldn't be so glazed-over and numb to everything.

Whatever, nothing is ever gonna change.

[QUOTE=J_Jack_Slash]I dunno, dude. I think people on the whole are pretty fuct. I always get this negativity bullshit from poeple. Last time in in-patient psych I had my Army of Darkness comic confiscated because it was "neagtive" yet for some reason they let me keep my slayer album.

I'm pretty tired of people always trying to paint their faces white; waxing them over from any ill society might endoctrinate in them whatsoever.

You have to embrace the shadow.

These people forget the bad because it purturbs them---everyone has to get along! But I think if they were to actually explore these feelings they wouldn't be so glazed-over and numb to everything.

True. "everything is ok" etc. It is just nauseating to deal with some people.

OEC

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Lots of good points here but I wanted to bring in an example of something you may be missing.

During a recent debate, debater #1 claimed the the world we live in is more violent today than at any other time in history.

Debater #2 coutered (more effectively than I can here) that the world is, in fact, LESS violent that at anytime in our history. Debater #2 was correct. Fewer humans die from violent death today than at any other point in recorded human history.

The main variance here is that we, as a community, are much, much, much more exposed to the daily violence of our world. The advent of mass-media, shopping malls, the internet, and high-spped transportation (planes, trains, etc) have effectively SHRUNK our world.

We no longer define/think of community as those who are in our immediate geographic location. While it may SEEM as though the world is a more violent place, the truth is that we, as a society, are simply far more aware of the violence that surrounds us.

The same may hold true in the original poster's case. I'm fairly sure the number of rude people hasn't increased. Instead, perhaps it is more likely that the amount of exposure that you have to rude people has increased...OR ....that something about you has changed that encourages more people to be rude towards you (like your new "GO FUCK YOURSELF" t-shirt.)

Then again...the world is a stressful place these days...maybe more people are in fact rude.

interesting discussion regardless

/shrug

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

btw..

I'll add another +20 PunkPoints for the ST reference.

*gives OEC a broken cookie*

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    btw..

I'll add another +20 PunkPoints for the ST reference.

*gives OEC a broken cookie*
    haha thanks. I am actually a lot less "hardcore" than I ever have been. I guess that is part of why it surprised me. I still believe people are less civil overall, tho not necessarily violent.

OEC

I think among teens, for the most part, discrimination has gone down. I can quite happily walk around the school all day, and I get very few comments from the assholes that seem to be out in the rest of the world. Those comments I do get all seem to be from one group of people: the "thugs", who dress like the rap-stars you see on MTV. And those who do comment are almost exclusively male.
    It's really odd, actually... I think because they see Eminem and Nelly or whoever they're listening to go around and talk shit about people they can too. What's funny is that they can barely speak coherent, proper English beyond "freak".

Quote Originally Posted by franziska
    I think among teens, for the most part, discrimination has gone down. I can quite happily walk around the school all day, and I get very few comments from the assholes that seem to be out in the rest of the world. Those comments I do get all seem to be from one group of people: the "thugs", who dress like the rap-stars you see on MTV. And those who do comment are almost exclusively male.
    It's really odd, actually... I think because they see Eminem and Nelly or whoever they're listening to go around and talk shit about people they can too. What's funny is that they can barely speak coherent, proper English beyond "freak".
    Most of these kids are posing shites anyway. I've met some who really are hardcore, and they are usually pretty cool with ya to some point. Last guy I met like this was at hospital last time I was in, and he liked more metal than rap, despite the thug gear, and most of these rapper kids will grow out of it as soon as they realize they ain't shit.

haha thanks. I am actually a lot less "hardcore" than I ever have been. I guess that is part of why it surprised me. I still believe people are less civil overall, tho not necessarily violent.

OEC
    This may be the key..... that you are a lot less "hardcore" than ever.... Appearance IS intimidating. When I was out W/ my hair to my ass, Obituary Tee on and decked out as I was, I didnt hear shit, now when I go out with my kids ( I still rock the Obituary tees!), my hair is short, etc.... I hear all the rudeness. Also, I do beheve differently with my kids (tryimg do be a good example, blah blah blah..). Maybe I should psych myself up into asshole mode before I take them out! Its sad that by acting "civilly" and not bothering anyone, that you may appear to be a victim waiting to happen, but it does appear that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateGoth
    This may be the key..... that you are a lot less "hardcore" than ever.... Appearance IS intimidating. When I was out W/ my hair to my ass, Obituary Tee on and decked out as I was, I didnt hear shit, now when I go out with my kids ( I still rock the Obituary tees!), my hair is short, etc.... I hear all the rudeness. Also, I do beheve differently with my kids (tryimg do be a good example, blah blah blah..). Maybe I should psych myself up into asshole mode before I take them out! Its sad that by acting "civilly" and not bothering anyone, that you may appear to be a victim waiting to happen, but it does appear that way.
    That's possible, altho I was still wearing a leather trench and was caled "Satan" hehe. Probably, a combination of factors at work. I am seriously trying not to be an asshole,
    99% of the time civility is better.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

A few assholes confronting one on their image is nothing to get all sensitive over...nor is it an indication that the U.S. is the new Neo-Nazi Germany...

Look...lets be fucking truthful and blunt...the whole goth and punk scene has a sense of style that is MADE to be noticed and confronted on. That's the fun of it...if you don't want to be noticed or hassled then live in a cave with the lights out. People have not grown more confrontational...neither have teens. Adults have become total pussies is all who are overly sensitive about ANY sort of critique, hassle, or run in with an asshole.

Grow a spine, chin up, and quit being a baby about such stuff people...for fucks sake if it bothers you enough that you change your style and how you handle yourself with people...maybe it's not OTHER people but ones own confidence level?

If you dress outside the mainstream...expect some eyes on you...that's kinda the point no? If you wanted to be invisible then shop at the fucking GAP.

No offense to any here but most of the complaints in this thread sound like old people complaining about "them damn youngins"...I mean geez you have some saying it's "That damn Rap music"...you have any idea how ultra conservative and close minded some of these complaints sound?

Lighten up and grow a spine...remember why you are who you are and stop letting the world around you put you in your place and push you around...you don't have to be an asshole to stand up for yourself and you sure as hell don't have to crack skulls to get some respect.

It's like a dog smelling fear...people smell weakness...if you ALLOW youself to be weakened by the stupidity of others then you are not a victim...you are the problem...you give them the power to do what they do.

[QUOTE=Tequila Zaire]A few assholes confronting one on their image is nothing to get all sensitive over...nor is it an indication that the U.S. is the new Neo-Nazi Germany...

Look...lets be fucking truthful and blunt...the whole goth and punk scene has a sense of style that is MADE to be noticed and confronted on. That's the fun of it...if you don't want to be noticed or hassled then live in a cave with the lights out. People have not grown more confrontational...neither have teens. Adults have become total pussies is all who are overly sensitive about ANY sort of critique, hassle, or run in with an asshole.

Oh, It didn't bother me on a personal level. It's just an observation.

Grow a spine, chin up, and quit being a baby about such stuff people...for fucks sake if it bothers you enough that you change your style and how you handle yourself with people...maybe it's not OTHER people but ones own confidence level?

I basically laughed at them, but that was not the point. I hardly felt weakened. I've been getting shit for years, no big deal. It's getting more ridiculous, that was more my observation than some given incident. Dunno about the other responses.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread