+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Someone tried to steal my domain!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Someone tried to steal my domain!

Someone tried to transfer my domain gothicsluts.com away from me today. With the new ICANN rules, apparently some registrars can make a transfer go through if someone requests it and the owner does not happen to respond to the transfer request for five days. Used to be, you had to actively do something to transfer your domain. Clearly, this is going to be used by domain thieves. I sure do not understand the reason they put this new rule in place. Does anybody else understand it?

Monday, I am going to attempt to pursue finding out who was behind the transfer attempt, although the registrar does not want to give me that information. Any suggestions on how to compell them to do so? I mean, that is a pretty big deal that someone tried to steal that domain. That site is important to me. For now, I have added domain lock service to all of my domains.

Mother Superior

Default Re: Someone tried to steal my domain!

Damn, that is severley fucked up. Hopefully you can see who is behind all this bullshit on Monday. There should be a way for you to protect what is yours, they attempted to steal your site domain. There has to be someone who can give you the proper answers to the questions you have.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Someone tried to transfer my domain gothicsluts.com away from me today. With the new ICANN rules, apparently some registrars can make a transfer go through if someone requests it and the owner does not happen to respond to the transfer request for five days. Used to be, you had to actively do something to transfer your domain. Clearly, this is going to be used by domain thieves. I sure do not understand the reason they put this new rule in place. Does anybody else understand it?

Monday, I am going to attempt to pursue finding out who was behind the transfer attempt, although the registrar does not want to give me that information. Any suggestions on how to compell them to do so? I mean, that is a pretty big deal that someone tried to steal that domain. That site is important to me. For now, I have added domain lock service to all of my domains.
    I've locked down all my domains (not even using most) The one thing u might do is register privately thru namesecure or godaddy. It would probably be harder for them to snatch. That's a fucked up rule, someone could just be offline for 5 days.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Totally, seems to me that attempted theft is not something that someone should be able to help someone hide without being an accessory after the fact. I've done the domain lock thing, but who doesn't have some email accounts they check less often than every five days?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

That's scary, actually. If I go overseas, I won't necessarily even use a computer for weeks or months. I'd have to read up on the rule, but I guess you'll have to be vigilant.

OEC

Give Them Hell!

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Give Them Hell!
    *nods* and subpoena the registrar for info

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

first of before you go for the juggukar find out all you can bout the rules and laws on the situation. Then go for the juglar wouldn't want you to go at it witha butter knife when you could go at it with a flame thrower

It was an expression.

Make the fuckers feel the mighty wrath of your lawyers!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Hell of an odd rule...seems they made it EASIER to steal stuff in the process...

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Excuse my ignorance, but couldn't you copyright or register a domain as a trademark?? I really donn't know much about "cyber-law", but I dont see what would seperate a domain name from a trademark on a store shelf.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

That's one of the reasons I moved my domains away and registered them in Germany. They can only be transferred with my agreement and my agreement (online) requires a password. I would personally move any domain away from any registry that doesn't protect it and its owner without a second thought.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

let me at em let me at em

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

They didn't even give you an IP or something else of who wanted to grab the domain?

+ Reply to Thread