+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Improvements

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Default Home Improvements

After putting up my new curtain rod, and planning many more home improvements I was wondering. Does anyone else really love home projects, little ones or big ones?

Im planning on putting in a new kitchen floor either with those sticky tiles, or the wood laminate flooring soon. I love projects that I can do myself and get done in a weekend!

Default Re: Home Improvements

Its fun if you really like the house.*

i decorate everything!!!!!

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

I Love all kinds of home improvements, and decorating..its quite a lot of fun, to make something really come together

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I moved almost every year as a kid, so I never really got the hang of decorating. Put tinfoil and wrapping paper on my walls and ceiling frosh year of college and that is about it.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I moved almost every year as a kid, so I never really got the hang of decorating. Put tinfoil and wrapping paper on my walls and ceiling frosh year of college and that is about it.
    LOL

Thas funny, I used Glad brand trash bags (black, of course) to "decorate" my first apartment.

In a previous life I worked as a contractor and I love doing projects around the house. Last project was exposing the brick in my circa 1840 townhouse.

Thing is, there are only so many hours in a day, and I cannot stand a partialy completed project. More recently I've gotten pretty lazy. I even took Yoshi (my 88 civic) to Jiffy Lube last week. I've sort of gotten into the habit of paying others to do what I *could* do for myself. Like mowing the lawn. *shudder*

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG

You know, one of my boy toys wanted to move into my apartment and stay there all day while I worked nine to five, and he wanted me to put up tinfoil over the windows, just like that!!!! Oh, what else, he wanted me to wear bell bottoms and halter tops.... He got really mad and broke up with me when I wouldn't do it....

Quote Originally Posted by Morgue1313
    After putting up my new curtain rod, and planning many more home improvements I was wondering. Does anyone else really love home projects, little ones or big ones?

Im planning on putting in a new kitchen floor either with those sticky tiles, or the wood laminate flooring soon. I love projects that I can do myself and get done in a weekend!
    Those sticky tiles come unstuck!!! Also, if you are wearing stiletto heels, they punch holes in the cheap plastic tiles. I actually put in the sticky tiles on my bathroom floor, and they are always coming unstuck, etc. So if you can get the real tiles or something more sturdy, that would be better!!

Oh, and putting up curtain rods is really tricky too!!! I have this red velvet curtain with gold fringe over my bed, and the plaster is just ALMOST ready to crumble... So I think the curtain will fall down any day. It has been like that for about 6 years....

But yes, I love to fix up my place. I just got this really pretty new rug, very ornate. Also, just putting in a RED light bulb, and using candles, and having a dimmer switch really adds a lot of atmosphere for hardly any money!!! If you can get a chandelier, and a dimmer switch, that is even better. I got a great deal on my chandelier, it was $250.00. I have seen similar chandeliers for $3,000.00. Of course mine is not real crystal....

Bah! after residing in this horribly pathetic excuse for a state, Almost all My stuff can fit into a single box and suitcase, and thats after residing here for 5 years!*

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I love the idea of doing the home improvements, but as the project drags on, and things start going wrong.....and as the 30 minute project is in its 7th hour, has created 3 trips to Home Depot,and has me cursing whichever pathetic god placed me on this stinking cesspool of a planet, I remember why I swore I'd never do it again.

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Ah, maybe I should go with the wood lamanate then. It would increace the resale value on my condo a lot and from what I hear now its better than those tiles. Nobody seems really happy with them that Ive talked to.

Its the small things that are fun. I love my new curtains so much now, I talked about them all day

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Those sticky tiles come unstuck!!! Also, if you are wearing stiletto heels, they punch holes in the cheap plastic tiles. I actually put in the sticky tiles on my bathroom floor, and they are always coming unstuck, etc. So if you can get the real tiles or something more sturdy, that would be better!!

Oh, and putting up curtain rods is really tricky too!!! I have this red velvet curtain with gold fringe over my bed, and the plaster is just ALMOST ready to crumble... So I think the curtain will fall down any day. It has been like that for about 6 years....

But yes, I love to fix up my place. I just got this really pretty new rug, very ornate. Also, just putting in a RED light bulb, and using candles, and having a dimmer switch really adds a lot of atmosphere for hardly any money!!! If you can get a chandelier, and a dimmer switch, that is even better. I got a great deal on my chandelier, it was $250.00. I have seen similar chandeliers for $3,000.00. Of course mine is not real crystal....

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

woo hoo home improvements something i actually know something about

now the laminate flooring is good, its easy to put in, dont get the clickit stuff, I havent tried it myself but I heard it is a bit of a pain , it's also sorta slippery,
    the sticky tiles are good though if you get good ones and prep your floor good ,I found this stuff called pipeline adhesive , I callit black primer but if you paint that on first and thin and let it dry for about 5 min then you can stick those tiles to rust if you wantand they'll stay

gotta love home improvements

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I'm renovating a house at the moment (fifteen rooms) and trying to save and then - hopefully - renovate another house, built in 1606. Such things are fun, but very time consuming!

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Morgue1313
    Does anyone else really love home projects, little ones or big ones?
    just finished four years renting; i wasn't even allowed to hang posters. moved back in with what's left of my family after the diaspora, and i'm thinking about making some faux bluestone slabs (say, about an inch thick) from papier-mache and affixing them to the walls. ideally i'd have chains with hooks dangling from the ceiling as well, and UV strip lights along the base of the walls.

all in good time.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    ...and UV strip lights along the base of the walls.
    call me when you get the UV lights in - you know that's my favorite color!

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    just finished four years renting; i wasn't even allowed to hang posters. moved back in with what's left of my family after the diaspora, and i'm thinking about making some faux bluestone slabs (say, about an inch thick) from papier-mache and affixing them to the walls. ideally i'd have chains with hooks dangling from the ceiling as well, and UV strip lights along the base of the walls.

all in good time.
    That is brilliant!!! I should hire you if I ever do this horror film.

+ Reply to Thread