+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time travel?

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Default Time travel?

I wish I owned a time machine. There's just way too much fun to be had with them not to want one. I mean, I could go back in time and give myself a good solid kick in the ass before spending a year in university as an arts major. I could go to the future, swipe something hi-tech, and claim I invented it. Or even just go a little bit into the future, find out winning lottery numbers, and buy tickets accordingly. I could buy things in the future, and then go back to the past and bring them with me to before I paid for them. The possibilities are endless.

Of course, I'd have to kill Hitler. It's mandatory that whenever you get a time machine, you kill Hitler. Of course, then you change history. But that's okay, because then you can go back in time again and tell yourself not to kill Hitler. A webcomic dealt with this once, and in it, the guy who killed Hitler decided to help the other of himself kill Hitler instead, and on it went like that until there were well over two hundred of him ganging up on the poor old Fuhrer. With me, it'd probably go more like this...

"Hey, don't kill Hitler."
    "Why not? I can always stop myself later."
    "Yeah, but I just did kill Hitler and now I'm stopping myself."
    "No I didn't, he's standing right there!"
    "Yeah, I haven't killed him yet because I just did kill him and now I'm trying not to."
    "No I'm not! I wanna kill him!"
    "No I don't, guy. It wasn't a lot of fun, he didn't even do anything funny."
    "That's lame. Did I at least set him on fire?"
    "Of course, what do you take you for? An amateur?"
    "Haha, good point. But seriously though... waste of time wasting Hitler?"
    "Yup. But there's a bar not far from here, at least."
    "Sweet! I'm buying!"
    "Wait, which one of me is buying the drinks?"
    "I think we both know the answer to that question."
    "Jerk."

Default Re: Time travel?

Brr? **

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I'd kill Stalin first.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I'd kill Stalin first.

OEC
    I'd kill the parents of celebrities I don't like so they'd never be born.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i'd go back and fuck the first humans, then i would know all humanity has a bit off me in it.
    also go back get a few neanderthals and take forward to a time after weve killed each other and start again with them.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

id go back in time and buy me a cadillac
    oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    id go back in time and buy me a cadillac
    oh yeah
    A Rolls Royce, or (however they spell it), would be better by far!

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I'd kill the parents of celebrities I don't like so they'd never be born.
    That would take too long.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    nothing is better than a new cadillac
    and besides a cadillac is a car you drive wereas a rolls is a car you are driven in

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar

no way. a ford GT 500. oh yea baby

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I would telll myself to definitly take the blue pill!
    Also, I would invent the internet before Al Gore did!

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I'd try and get back to all those people who shaped our various societies and put together the fascinating philosopical works that I read and try to find out what made them tick.

Tempting as it is, I wouldn't go back to try and change anything - such as killing Hitler or Stalin - simply because there is always the possibility that, no matter how bad they were, they were the best possible answer for the times, and someone far worse could have been waiting on the sidelines to take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    I'd try and get back to all those people who shaped our various societies and put together the fascinating philosopical works that I read and try to find out what made them tick.

Tempting as it is, I wouldn't go back to try and change anything - such as killing Hitler or Stalin - simply because there is always the possibility that, no matter how bad they were, they were the best possible answer for the times, and someone far worse could have been waiting on the sidelines to take their place.

You make a good point. Also, you never know what else in history would change as the result of a given action. Nah, fuck it. I'm Ukrainian. Uncle Joe gets one between the eyes

OEC

Weblogger

You make a good point. Also, you never know what else in history would change as the result of a given action. Nah, fuck it. I'm Ukrainian. Uncle Joe gets one between the eyes
    Rather limiting, though; I mean, once you start with Uncle Joe you'll come up with plenty of other names through Ukrainian history - or Russian, etc. etc. - who we'd have been better off without.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Rather limiting, though; I mean, once you start with Uncle Joe you'll come up with plenty of other names through Ukrainian history - or Russian, etc. etc. - who we'd have been better off without.
    haha true. I'm being a bit facetious. I'd kill Lenin and most of the Tsars as well. Stalin was especially cruel, tho. He starved millions upon millions of peasants in 32-33. Oh and Hitler too, altho I doubt it would change anything.

OEC

To add to your original point, however, I believe Hitler and Stalin's cruelty led to a quicker demise of 2 vicious ideologies. It is hard to say what would have happened over time.Most of the other possible leaders in the USSR and Nazi Germany were saner. This may have led to a slower yet greater body count. In reality, I would just accept history as it actually happened. Tears of sorrow become tears of joy to those who refuse to be defeated by such sociopathic thugs.

OEC

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

I believe Hitler and Stalin's cruelty led to a quicker demise of 2 vicious ideologies.

Never thought about it like that before, but it's true really - Hitler and Stalin were very open about their twisted beliefs and actions compared to their modern-day counterparts in such things as the BNP (outwardly attempting to be very "respectable" while admiring the Nazis and making hate speeches).
    If the true beliefs of fascism and the Nazis had been less obvious about the atrocities they committed and the beliefs behind them, the reaction against those two forms of fascism would've been very likely to be less, and maybe even more widely accepted. In that way, we were all lucky more skilled dictators didn't come to lead.

Unfortunately those "vicious ideologies" aren't completely dead, just beaten for now - most countries seem to have at least one form of a fascist, racist or nazi-like party. In today's times they are unlikely to be elected but they are much more wise to the public view now, and keep their true beliefs mostly under wraps (again, the BNP "British national party" is an example), presenting themselves as an "alternative party" and encouraging people to overlook their true nature.

Groups like that thrive off desperation, Germany was in terrible shape and this helped the Nazis to power, it's impossible to predict what could happen if there was a global Depression.

i dont think buying a cadillac would afect time much

Although given the opportunity I'd probably kill Hitler anyway, and if things changed for the worse somehow (eg someone even worse coming to power) just go back and fix that somehow... repeat ad infinitum until stuff gets fixed or the world gets hopelessly messed up from the butterfly effect.

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i dont think buying a cadillac would afect time much
    google "butterfly effect -movie -film"

Example:
    that was the last cadillac in the store
    it was going to be bought by someone else before the time-traveller took it
    someone was some rich kid with money from his parents for his first car
    kid was going to accidentally run someone over a few weeks later while drunk, that someone happens to be a major serial killer's great-grandfather
    he doesn't get his cadillac, you took it, when you go back to your own time there's a huge spree of murders alike to Jack the Ripper a few weeks later from Mr Time Traveller messed around with things

Just an example, but gives you an idea right?

Quote Originally Posted by chaosfeary
    google "butterfly effect -movie -film"

Example:
    that was the last cadillac in the store
    it was going to be bought by someone else before the time-traveller took it
    someone was some rich kid with money from his parents for his first car
    kid was going to accidentally run someone over a few weeks later while drunk, that someone happens to be a major serial killer's great-grandfather
    he doesn't get his cadillac, you took it, when you go back to your own time there's a huge spree of murders alike to Jack the Ripper a few weeks later from Mr Time Traveller messed around with things

Just an example, but gives you an idea right?
    on the plus side il be bitchin cool with my classic caddy

maybe your great-grandfather or something is one of the ones that gets murdered, so you never existed, and the universe gets confused and decides to implode

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

maybe your great-grandfather or something is one of the ones that gets murdered, so you never existed, and the universe gets confused and decides to implode
    Well that's not all bad either. Sure I'd be dead, but I'd take a whole lot of people with me

i'd go on a dinosaur hunting safari.

Never thought about it like that before, but it's true really - Hitler and Stalin were very open about their twisted beliefs and actions compared to their modern-day counterparts in such things as the BNP (outwardly attempting to be very "respectable" while admiring the Nazis and making hate speeches).

I see this as a good thing. The BNP is a complete fucking joke mocked by all who love freedom. I believe to have a free country, you let these groups exist and show them to be the madmen they always were. If they take up arms, you nip them in the bud.

If the true beliefs of fascism and the Nazis had been less obvious about the atrocities they committed and the beliefs behind them, the reaction against those two forms of fascism would've been very likely to be less, and maybe even more widely accepted. In that way, we were all lucky more skilled dictators didn't come to lead.

Exactly.

Unfortunately those "vicious ideologies" aren't completely dead, just beaten for now - most countries seem to have at least one form of a fascist, racist or nazi-like party. In today's times they are unlikely to be elected but they are much more wise to the public view now, and keep their true beliefs mostly under wraps (again, the BNP "British national party" is an example), presenting themselves as an "alternative party" and encouraging people to overlook their true nature.

Only a small group of foolish people buy into this facade. By giving them a modicum of freedom, you see who they are and take them down should the need arise.

Groups like that thrive off desperation, Germany was in terrible shape and this helped the Nazis to power, it's impossible to predict what could happen if there was a global Depression.
    That may be true. Desperate situations lead to desperate action. I would still say Hitler and Stalin closed a chapter in the Western World. We will see what arises next.

OEC

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I'd love to find a good book on chaos theorey Any suggestions?

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

theres a cool book by john birmingham called "weapons of choice, world war 2.1" its about people from 2010 getting sent back in time to ww2 just before the battle of midway. they have a shipbaord version of the 'net. so they have heaps of info about what is happening or about to happen for the next 50 years. they know about the concetration camps, the treatemnt of prisoners in japan, the develpoment of nukes, and even the cold war. if someone showed stalin what was gunna happen to russia after the war, what do you think hed do. they have advanced weapons but they will eventually run out and and theres no technology to make more. imagine the attitudes to anyone not white and being told that the future ships captain is a black lesbian, what about the post war immigration and how its affected the population everywhere.

really good book, and it makes you think about stuff. (plus its written by an aussie)
    so there is so much

Weblogger

There was a time travel series many, many years ago in which a patrol of US soldiers got transported back in time, complete with their humvee, to Samurai times. They had all the technology and weaponry and used it, blasting their way through anything that stood in front of them. Before they had run out of ammunition they were all killed in a mass offensive by the Samurai who used bows and arrows. So much for technological advancement. You can have the best weapons in the world, but a small roadside bomb is going to get you anyway ...

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    I'd love to find a good book on chaos theorey Any suggestions?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=1...ience%22&meta=

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    theres a cool book by john birmingham called "weapons of choice, world war 2.1" its about people from 2010 getting sent back in time to ww2 just before the battle of midway. they have a shipbaord version of the 'net. so they have heaps of info about what is happening or about to happen for the next 50 years. they know about the concetration camps, the treatemnt of prisoners in japan, the develpoment of nukes, and even the cold war. if someone showed stalin what was gunna happen to russia after the war, what do you think hed do. they have advanced weapons but they will eventually run out and and theres no technology to make more. imagine the attitudes to anyone not white and being told that the future ships captain is a black lesbian, what about the post war immigration and how its affected the population everywhere.

really good book, and it makes you think about stuff. (plus its written by an aussie)
    so there is so much
    I'll check it out. I honestly do not believe Stalin cared about the future of Russia. I base this on the fact that he likely killed more of his own than the Germans did. Russia has shown her true face in recent months. As much as I love russian culture and the people, I do not believe the future bodes well for them. This is not true, however, of all the former USSR nor of Eastern Europe. I am truly excited about the future there. The will of the people has reawakened my conscience and faith. I love them with all my heart.

OEC

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

I don't necessarily think that killing Hitler would be a bad idea......

But Honestly, I'd much rather r*pe his ass with a knife just after the Reichstag fire and see how his little 3rd Reich works out then!

Yes however I am quite curious as to how the jewish community would stand now without the atrocities that hitler imposed on them. I have alot of jewish friends, and I wonder how different their outlook on everything would be if that didnt happen?

Thanks for that I checked it out and it looks pretty interesting Ill have to pick it up.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Yes however I am quite curious as to how the jewish community would stand now without the atrocities that hitler imposed on them. I have alot of jewish friends, and I wonder how different their outlook on everything would be if that didnt happen?
    well, I'm sure they'd agree it would be better, but in reality it would probibly be worse, because they'd still be hated by most of the world (which they still are now, anyway) and they wouldn't have Isreal.

both of which are good points! and no palestinian war.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    well, I'm sure they'd agree it would be better, but in reality it would probibly be worse, because they'd still be hated by most of the world (which they still are now, anyway) and they wouldn't have Isreal.
    I suspect that Israel would still be there, although it might be called Palestine and either be a British Protectorate or a country which gained independence a few decades later.

Weblogger

both of which are good points! and no palestinian war.
    On the contrary, the war between the two sets of peoples would still exist, not necessarily just in Palestine, though.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

for me it is simple.. stamps...i would go and put together a book of stamps... then bury it in some time capsule like thing under a tree in a park that will still exist in present day... go back claim the stamps and sell them claiming that they have been handed down for generations... if i went into the future i would be to temped to stay and or bring something back that could fuck things up...

+ Reply to Thread