+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bwuahahaha! Turtles!

Default Bwuahahaha! Turtles!

Here is the Male I earned:

And here is the Female I earned as well.

I earned them by helping move furniture. **

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Bwuahahaha! Turtles!

for whom?

My father bought them as payment for helping My grandmother's brother. **

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

thats kinda nice of him. *i said KINDA*

VampBoi's Avatar Senior Member

Aren't they just cute.

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Gotta love strange payments. I got two awesome daggers for helping move and babysit.

They seem to prefer Oranges over other foods for some reason. Im still not exactly sure what kind of Turtle they are though. **

VampBoi's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Im still not exactly sure what kind of Turtle they are though. **
    From the PICS and only see'n their undersides, they look like Box Turtles to me.

my red eared slider. he was about 2 inches long in this pic he is 3 and 1/2 know. mean little shit

Wow, thats cute! **

Apparently My Male Turtle enjoys Salty Fruits, like Oranges, Limes, Lemons, Tangerines, and similar stuff.

The Female seems to like stuff like Lettuce more, and has this odd habbit of not eating if She knows you are watching, where the Male will just stare at you, then go back to eating.
    She also seems to wait until the Male tries a type of fruit before She will eat it.
    On another note: The Male seems to like Sunlight, whereas the Female will go to great lengths to get out of any light whatsoever. **
    I still havent named them yet though. Maybe somebody can offer advice or a name type stuff?

Anybody Else have Reptile Pics or Stories,etc?

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

awe how cute i love turtles. i have 4 african spurred tortoises that are going to outlive me and grow to be huge.

What is the lifespan of That type?*

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I had two water Dragons, however one got a reallly bad eye infection that I could not get cured and unfortunatly passed as did the other a few weeks after, just seemed to stop eating. Guess she got depressed. Kinda sad actually. I wanna buy an Iguana or a malti uromastix.

Quote Originally Posted by VampBoi
    From the PICS and only see'n their undersides, they look like Box Turtles to me.
    Does this help in Identifying them? Here are more pictures of the Girl.

I can try and make Better Photos if required. **

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Since you asked;
    It is perfectly possible to sex turtles and breed them in captivity.

During mating, the male's penis may protrude during sexual excitement and resemble an "opening flower". Inexperienced observers often regard this structure with bewilderment. Copulation takes place when the male inserts this structure into the female's cloacal opening.

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    Since you asked;
    It is perfectly possible to sex turtles and breed them in captivity.

During mating, the male's penis may protrude during sexual excitement and resemble an "opening flower". Inexperienced observers often regard this structure with bewilderment. Copulation takes place when the male inserts this structure into the female's cloacal opening.
    was asking about the Turtle Species, not the Gender? **

Ok, Found out that they are : Ornate Wood Turtles.

Here is a clear picture of them from somebody else.

Turns out you can control their Gender if you breed them!

And some info on them.

Animal Description:
    The Central American Ornate Wood Turtle is also known as the Pracht-Erdschildkrote, Painted Wood Turtle, or Ornate Wood Turtle. They are native to Central America, as the name would suggest, and are a beautiful animal that is a gracious addition to any terrarium.

The Ornate Wood Turtle generally makes its home in damp woodlands and scrublands. They usually are found near water and during dry weather will wade and swim in water. The Ornate Wood Turtle is terrestrial rather than aquatic, meaning it spends most of its time on land. In the wild, the Ornate Wood Turtle is omnivorous, meaning it feeds on both plants and animals. They eat wildflowers, fruit, grasses, fish, worms, and insects. Ornate Wood Turtles are generally quite outgoing and curious. Ornate Wood Turtles are usually active creatures. When mating, males bob their head and nose the female's tail and shell. Later, the female and male both bob their heads. Ornate Wood Turtles can survive in temperatures as high as 44 degrees Celsius and can live in very dry conditions for an extended period.

A very attractive animal, the Ornate Wood Turtle is awash in red and black. The face is adorned with thin red lines, and the legs, tail, plastron (underside of the shell), and marginal scutes (sides of the shell) are heavily marked with red and black. The top of the shell, known as the carapace, is a light brown shade and the plastron is yellow with red markings. The shell is moderately elongated in shape. The length of a male Ornate Wood Turtle's shell can reach up to 7 inches, and females can reach about two inches longer. Males can be distinguished from females by the thicker tail and concave plastron.

Ornate Wood Turtles can be found throughout Central America. They range between Sonora, Mexico, and Costa Rica. They are beneficial to human beings because they feed on many insects that often become pests. Unfortunately, people who want to sell them as pets are taking them out of their natural habitats. Central American Ornate Wood Turtles usually do not do well in captivity.

Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Relatively Difficult
    Like all turtles, it is important that the Central American Ornate Wood Turtle get access to natural light. If you live in the proper climate, they can be taken outside and put in full sun when the weather is at least 75 degrees Fahrenheit. They should also have access to shaded area to cool off. Generally speaking the Central American Ornate Wood Turtles take a little more care then some other turtles, but not much.

The Central American Ornate Wood Turtle should be fed equal amounts of protein and vegatables, be careful not to give them too much phosphorus (such as found in bannanas) and vitamin C.

Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Uncertain
    When courting a female, the male Ornate Wood Turtles noses the female's shell and bobs its head up and down. When the female is receptive to mating, she begins a similar bobbing motion, nose-to-nose with the male. Between May and December the female will bury several clutches of between three and five eggs in soil or litter. The delicate, elongated eggs hatch after several weeks of incubation. The sex of the hatchlings, which average between 35 and 50mm long, depends on the temperature during incubation: Between 24 and 27 degrees Celsius, only male turtles are born. Above 30 degrees Celsius, females will result. Between 27 and 30 degrees, there are both males and females.

+ Reply to Thread