+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Damn Good Bands

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Damn Good Bands

One of the great advantages of this forum is that everyone here has great taste in music. In past music related threads everyone has named assorted bands and lords knows keeping track of them is a pain. So in an attempt to keep a sort of "master list" of band recommendations and what not I thought it'd be nice to have a thread just on that...if you know of a band that's damn good...drop their name here and say something about it. Now I don't mean promote them...I mean honestly say why they are good. This should keep the "Band URL" and 2 word comments to a minimum...cause good god damn those are annoying.

At least the way I see it the bands I've always given a shot at my money and times are ones people actually say something about not just say "You gotta check em out cause they rock!" and such.

So post some damn good bands people...I need new stuff on my iPod.

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

Default Re: Damn Good Bands

cradle of filth- top notch deathmetal with the gothic look. nymphetamine is next on my list.

slayer- the definition of heavy metal.

and if i'm in a less frantic mood or just plain depressed- type o negative

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

The Faint
    Error
    The Dillenger Escape Plan
    Kid Dynamite
    The Haunted
    Ink and Dagger
    Poisin The Well
    Bile
    The Break
    The Soviettes
    The Planet Smashers
    Refused
    Snapcase
    Raised Fist
    Screw 32
    YADD YADDA YADDA......

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i just saw a kickass metal band last week called 3 Inches of Blood i highly suggest metal fans check them out

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

TURBO A.C.s -there the fuckin' shit,punk rock gods, high energy punk, surf riffs and good lyrics,HELL yea

HORROR POPS- rockabilly,punk,rock,hell....... music, they got neckroman from NEKROMANTIX and geoff from TIGER ARMY.so of course there bad ass

NILE-death metal gods,into some hard core egypt shit,find the excretion text video it shows the pure bad assness of NILE

all capitilized bands are awsome

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

The Genitorturers ++ Lords of Acid ++ Praga Khan ++ Static-X ++ The Cruxshadows ++ Fear Factory ++ Rob Zombie ++ Jack Off Jill ++ scarling. ++ Diva Destruction ++ Nine Inch Nails ++ Kittie ++ Joey Ramone ++ Kidney Thieves ++ Necromantix ++ Joey Ramone ++ Inkubus Sukkubus (try 'I am the one') ++ Seraphim Shock ++ A Perfect Circle

Otep,Tool,Slayer,Type O Negative... this one is new to me but they are awsome the are called The Phantomas they have 2 cd you should check out one is called sergical sounds and the othere is directors cut hope that helps..
    Shadow

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Again im recomending the Nekromantix but im recomending what is some of their best stuff and you can find it in their "Curse Of The Coffin " album

i was also gona rcomend the horrorpops btw KillerKat love the avatar thats the one i used when i first came to this site

The Reverend Horton Heat rules if you are intoi country/50s sounding music like i am

Hank Williams sr if you ever feel like listening to country Hank and Jhonny are the way to go

Lately ive been listening to some spanish rock music a few notable bands are Cafe Tacuva, Kinky, Jumbo, and Plastilina Mosh. if you feel like listening to something diferent

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Alkaline Trio - All On Black
    Taking Back Sunday - There's No I In Team
    Tiger Army - Annabel Lea
    AFI - Synesthesia
    Kidney Theives - Before I'm Dead
    Atreyu - Right Side Of The Bed
    Tim McGraw - Don't Take The Girl
    Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
    These Are some and certaintly not all of my favourites

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

oh shit i forgot to add The Legendary Shack Shakers they have this one song called Blood on The Blue Grass from their Cockadoodledont album which i cant get out of my head i heard it like twenty times in a row and i still love it that cd might have well just have that one track

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

due to popular opinion all my music sucks. go figure.

regardless, i've come to say this, and that's just the way it has to be...
    In the future the only music will be the Crucifucks, and Doc Dart will be our messiah. and all the rednecks that opposed him will suffer the great plagues of egypt, and all thier american flags will spontainiously combust.

The Crucifucks are good, I am pretty sure I saw them play in toronto like 6 years go.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Apoptygma Berzerk~ for a while there my affair with Apop was faint and fleeting. I loved this song and that song and eventually I realised that I just love Apop. The live cut of "Nonstop Violence" from Tel Aviv is one of the top 10.
    VNV Nation~ Another all time fave that I simply cannot find a song by them I do not like, and besides, Ronin's voice massages the pleasure lobes in my brain.
    Switchblade Symphony~ lovely lovely music. Apop's mix of "sweet" is well... sweet.
    Icon of Coil~ I'm not just sayin this because I think the lead singer is hot. It wasn't till I saw them live that I knew that any way. Love everything by them esp~ "Shallow Nation".
    Das Ich~ Yes
    Spahn Ranch ~ an aquired taste but tastes good.
    Leather Strip ~ pretty hardcore but right up there Skinny Puppy, only better.

Does that help?
    K

Most of the American bands I like have been mentioned...but there's a lot of good Japanese bands out there... (I feel sorta cheesy for mentioning them)

Dir en grey (a lot of people seem to know about them.)
    Malice Mizer (They have a way out sound. They're pretty gothic.)
    Plastic Tree (They have a kinda softer sound.)
    Yellow Machinegun (A badass all female trio.)
    Luna Sea (They have a cool sound.)
    X-Japan (80's metal-ish. Awesome drummer)
    Pierrot (Pretty cool sound. Hard to describe)
    Sads and Kuroyume (Same singer in both bands. He has a great voice.)

As for American bands that I like...(that I don't think people posted...Sorry if I missed them)
    Primus (Les Claypool is awesome)
    Snake River Conspiracy (A cool industrial sound)
    Auf Der Maur (She has an awesome voice)
    Soundgarden (I like grunge...)
    Nirvana (I like grunge...)

I feel so unmetal...and so cheesy...

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

tops on my list are:
    jack off jill/scarling
    luxt- great energy w a cyber edge to it
    fear of god- there first cd, "within the veil" still blows me away w every listen(it came out in like '91). death metal w a female lead.
    evanescense
    switchblade symphony
    genitorturers
    bile - i saw them live back when they only had a demo tape out.
    ministry
    sepultura
    nin

i like alot of bands that have a female singer.

Red Elvises-surf rock from siberia

saw these guys a few months ago, lots of hot chicks & cool stage show.
    these guys tour constantly. the original members are political exiles from russia that moved to California & started a rock band. check 'em out....

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

From Autumn To Ashes
    Hopesfall
    Scarling/JOJ

From Autumn To Ashes
    Hopesfall
    Scarling/JOJ
    AFI

BeautifulCorpse's Avatar the bitch down the street

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    i like alot of bands that have a female singer.
    have you ever heard Otep? i borrowed the cd from a friend last year, and it was awesome.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you know what band sucks? tsunami bomb. whenever they wanted to sound hardcore, their female singer would step back and the guitarist who has no other singing parts would step up to the mike and go "rarggh!" lame. girl's need to sing thier own grind. if they can't hack it, then they need to go play some lillith fair shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    you know what band sucks? tsunami bomb. whenever they wanted to sound hardcore, their female singer would step back and the guitarist who has no other singing parts would step up to the mike and go "rarggh!" lame. girl's need to sing thier own grind. if they can't hack it, then they need to go play some lillith fair shit.
    Hells Yes! Preach It!
    Listen to som Otep like beautiful corpse said that chick is hardcore!

Quote Originally Posted by Azteroth391
    Red Elvises-surf rock from siberia

saw these guys a few months ago, lots of hot chicks & cool stage show.
    these guys tour constantly. the original members are political exiles from russia that moved to California & started a rock band. check 'em out....
    They're really funny and their guitar player is really good.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

See Colin Slash. ( c:/) They're really spiffy. Little punk band out of Cali. Go for "you and all your communist friends" awesome track...
    K

kieko its nice to see you back and posting lol..
    I strongly recomend Otep to anyone that has not heard of them they kick ass!!!

i think a lot of you guys might be into death from above 1979

or mastadon

anyone like lightning bolt?

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

Otep rock

First post! Huzzah! Indeed. Anyways, I've been into a lot of under and not so underground bands for years now (although as of late I've been drifting towards apostasy *sob* a lack of faith, really) If you haven't already, you should check out a few of these bands:

GWAR: corrupted me when I was but a wee lad. Old school favorites, and something that both punk and metal fans can agree on. They also put on the most amazing live shows, visually speaking.

Mr Bungle: Mike Patton is God. If you do not know this yet, I pity your soul. Please remedy this.

Opeth: Actually, you should stay away from Opeth. I wish I'd never heard them, quite frankly. They're too... damn... good. Most people don't really get into them at first. It takes a little while, but it eventaully hits you if you listen for long enough. I had my revelation when I saw them live for the first time. The song writting, the structure, the lyrics... and the TONE. Dear God, the tone. They're a bunch of hippies, yeah, but they're amazing hippies.

Nightwish: Goddamned Finns, with their Stratovarius and Children of Bodom and EToS... anyways, Nightwish is probably the best Finnish metal band around, at least as far as I'm concerned. Their vocalist, Tarja, is jaw-dropping, and their keyboards/guiatrists (while not quite Jan Warmen or Alexi Laiho) are brilliant, too.

In Extremo: German mediaeval rock! Rammstein with bagpipe solos. Need I say more?

Theatre of Tragedy/Liv Kristine: most people have probably heard them already, but whatever. They've fallen out of favor with their last few albums, but I like 'em anyways.

Also be sure to check out (if you haven't already) Switchblade Symphony, Kovenant, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Cradle of Filth, Lacuna Coil, Dissection, Dream Theatre, Pig, the Pizzicato Five, Dir en Grey, Franz Liszt, anything by Steve Vai or Tony MacAlpine (I'm not worthy!!!!), Stuffy Bear and the Bar Mitzfahs, In Flames, Killswitch Engage (from my home town! Sort of.... one of them is....), Type O Negative, Satie, Hungry Lucy, Delerium, Rev Horton Heat, and of course, Wesley Willis! And if anyone recommends something like Burzum, kick them in the head and send them my regards.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer

In Extremo: German mediaeval rock! Rammstein with bagpipe solos. Need I say more?

Now that I gotta hear.

mr bungle is great, i really really like secret chiefs three. his arabic influenced side project.

The Dwarves
    Lords of The New Church
    Johnny Cash

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jynxed hero
    Most of the American bands I like have been mentioned...but there's a lot of good Japanese bands out there... (I feel sorta cheesy for mentioning them)

Dir en grey (a lot of people seem to know about them.)
    Malice Mizer (They have a way out sound. They're pretty gothic.)
    Plastic Tree (They have a kinda softer sound.)
    Yellow Machinegun (A badass all female trio.)
    Luna Sea (They have a cool sound.)
    X-Japan (80's metal-ish. Awesome drummer)
    Pierrot (Pretty cool sound. Hard to describe)
    Sads and Kuroyume (Same singer in both bands. He has a great voice.)

How could you feel unmetal when you listen to X-Japan? Besides, they even have a great song called Blue Blood. I love all the stuff Hide did solo as well as the X-Japan stuff. I wish he was still around. Plastic Tree is a little soft for my taste, but the rest are great, and sooooo nice to look at too!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    oh shit i forgot to add The Legendary Shack Shakers they have this one song called Blood on The Blue Grass from their Cockadoodledont album which i cant get out of my head i heard it like twenty times in a row and i still love it that cd might have well just have that one track

hey man i saw them in TN at the piliot light it was an awsome show there a cool ass band.!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    How could you feel unmetal when you listen to X-Japan? Besides, they even have a great song called Blue Blood. I love all the stuff Hide did solo as well as the X-Japan stuff. I wish he was still around. Plastic Tree is a little soft for my taste, but the rest are great, and sooooo nice to look at too!
    My favorite song of theirs actually is Blue Blood. The drum part just way too awesome. Yoshiki is one crazy mofo. hide was an awesome guitar player too. I really enjoyed his solo stuff and his stuff with that band, Zilch.
    Btw, I agree, they are really nice to look at.

i forgot to mention:
    my ruin or tura satana
    collide

im waiting on a friend to burn me a disc of otep. he keeps raving about them. ive heard only a little on my puter. but i hate the crappy sound i get out of it. i prefer the stereo in my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Now that I gotta hear.
    Oh, hell yeah. In Extremo rock. They play mostly revamped versions of Mediaeval folk/minstrel songs... like a heavy version of the Mediaeval Baebes, or a really old-school version of Rammstein. They even have the pyro-ladden stage shows, too..... except with a Middle Age juggler/acrobat twist. Their homepage, if you haven't looked it up yet, is at inextremo.de.

Enjoy!

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Switchblade Symphony~ lovely lovely music. Apop's mix of "sweet" is well... sweet. Spahn Ranch ~ an aquired taste but tastes good.
    Ooo, Switchblade is sweet. I saw a show in 1997 in San Diego. And hey, I think Spahn Ranch opened for them! One of my favorite memories.

Anyone ever heard of Sister Machine Gun? I have an album (an older album, it's got "Burn" on it) of theirs and LOVE it. I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    Anyone ever heard of Sister Machine Gun? I have an album (an older album, it's got "Burn" on it) of theirs and LOVE it. I'd recommend it.
    yeah, i used to be really into them. their first two cds, i think it was "the torture technique" and "sins of the flesh"- were really good. i even got all the singles from them. they got played at the club i went to frequently, a goth/industrial dance club.
    the cd metropolis was ok-the intro, this metal sky, was the best part. i couldnt get into "burn". and i havent heard any of their new stuff since. but i have "6.0" and "influence" on my xmas list. so i hope to get at least one of them.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

try to find bozo porno circus
    other than that evrything else has been mentioned, except I think, lights of euphoria, assemblage 23, VAC , front level zero,

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jynxed hero
    As for American bands that I like...(that I don't think people posted...Sorry if I missed them)
    Primus (Les Claypool is awesome)
    Snake River Conspiracy (A cool industrial sound)
    Auf Der Maur (She has an awesome voice)
    Soundgarden (I like grunge...)
    Nirvana (I like grunge...)

Hey, coming from an admitted metalhead.... nothing wrong with any of these bands... Soundgarden and Nirvana got severly overplayed...but are still great bands. Badmotorfinger was like a religion to me when it came out and it led my into another addiction called LouderthanLove. Les Claypool is Brilliant (if somewhat "touched").Auf Der Mar (thought it was Auf DU Mar) I dont know too much about... but SNR is pretty awsome. A friend of mine at werk turned me onto that band and I unfortunatly lost the damn disc, but I liked what I heard...
    [/QUOTE]Opeth: Actually, you should stay away from Opeth. I wish I'd never heard them, quite frankly. They're too... damn... good. Most people don't really get into them at first. It takes a little while, but it eventaully hits you if you listen for long enough. I had my revelation when I saw them live for the first time. The song writting, the structure, the lyrics... and the TONE. Dear God, the tone. They're a bunch of hippies, yeah, but they're amazing hippies.[/QUOTE]

Soooo true. if you havent heard these guys... you just cant understand what you are missing. Whether you like 'em or not, you've gotta hear them. I could describe them, but I would take up 2 pages doing so. Metal, but Soooo much more.

If anyone is into the non death metal ballads of opeth check out Katatonia. It's another band with the lead singer of Opeth. it's ballads though, not death metal.

BTW Hope Leaves is the best Opeth song ever.

+ Reply to Thread