+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Christian music."

Default "Christian music."

Why does Christian music get it's own genre? Usually it's just poorly written/produced pop with God loving lyrics. I can't see how it's its own genre.

It also perplexes me as to why someone would want to pigeon hole their music like that.

Christians love to show the world how closed minded they can be. It seems that way at least.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Re: "Christian music."

Quote Originally Posted by jynxed hero
    Why does Christian music get it's own genre? Usually it's just poorly written/produced pop with God loving lyrics. I can't see how it's its own genre.

It also perplexes me as to why someone would want to pigeon hole their music like that.

Christians love to show the world how closed minded they can be. It seems that way at least.

let them do what they will. For all we know, they could be right!

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    let them do what they will. For all we know, they could be right!
    Hahahahhahahaha. Them, right?

Still...considering it a genre? I want to hear some pop praising Buddha then. And only if it's coming from fat monks.

Hahahahhahahaha. Them, right?

Still...considering it a genre? I want to hear some pop praising Buddha then. And only if it's coming from fat monks.

actually that would be really really cool.......good idea to make millions.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I think that it's a good thing Christian music has its own genre and its own place on the rack. How else are sensible people going to avoid it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    I think that it's a good thing Christian music has its own genre and its own place on the rack. How else are sensible people going to avoid it?
    That's a very good point. But what about just plain crap then? The stuff on MTV should get it's own rack too. It's only fair. Purchasing music is still like walking in a minefeild.

Weblogger

That's a very good point. But what about just plain crap then? The stuff on MTV should get it's own rack too. It's only fair. Purchasing music is still like walking in a minefeild.
    Do they still play music on mtv? I listen to the radio a great deal, when I like something I'll go to the store and search for it. I never get music unless I've heard a few tracks from it first, or it's an artist that I trust to produce music!

Do they still play music on mtv? I listen to the radio a great deal, when I like something I'll go to the store and search for it. I never get music unless I've heard a few tracks from it first, or it's an artist that I trust to produce music!
    At ass early times. They play crap like Simple Plan, Yellow Card, and...Simple Card and Yellow Plan...Those masses of 'punk' bands. I only know cuz I have a weird sleeping schedule.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Being someone who was a "Christian" artist, at least at one time, I might be able to offer some insight:

1) Xian music is generally separate because of market demand. Some people feel strongly that they only want to listen to music made by Christians.

2) The percentage of music that sucks in the Xian market is, per capita, no higher than the percentage of music that sucks in the secular market.

3) Many Xian artists dislike the pigeonholing that goes on in the market. I hated it, and consistently stated that my music was not "Christian music," but rather music that happened to be written by a Xian. Evanescence would be another example of a band who have rejected this pigeonholing (not that I think they're the coolest band ever or anything -- they just are an example of it).

4) There are tons of shitheads in the world, and some people who aren't. Assuming that everyone who describes him/herself as Xian is "closeminded" is about as clever as assuming that, say, everyone who posts on this board worships Satan.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It's silly, but inevitable, that musicians will get pigeonholed based on their religious preferences.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    It's silly, but inevitable, that musicians will get pigeonholed based on their religious preferences.

OEC
    I wouldn't want to volountarily pigeon hole myself that way. Christian muscians seem proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by funkatron
    Being someone who was a "Christian" artist, at least at one time, I might be able to offer some insight:

1) Xian music is generally separate because of market demand. Some people feel strongly that they only want to listen to music made by Christians.

2) The percentage of music that sucks in the Xian market is, per capita, no higher than the percentage of music that sucks in the secular market.

3) Many Xian artists dislike the pigeonholing that goes on in the market. I hated it, and consistently stated that my music was not "Christian music," but rather music that happened to be written by a Xian. Evanescence would be another example of a band who have rejected this pigeonholing (not that I think they're the coolest band ever or anything -- they just are an example of it).

4) There are tons of shitheads in the world, and some people who aren't. Assuming that everyone who describes him/herself as Xian is "closeminded" is about as clever as assuming that, say, everyone who posts on this board worships Satan.
    Maybe. But that still doesn't change the fact to some extent you volountarily accepted the label. Who you choose to promote your music to probably had some influence on that label. I'm also refering to the music whose lyrics consist "Jesus is great and god loves you" Like on the Worship CD's you see advertised late at night. Now to buy into the red state blue state stereotype I'll venture to say those Christians might tend to be more closed minded that others.

"Jesus is great and god loves you"

This really isn't that much worse than

"hit me baby one more time"

Maybe. But that still doesn't change the fact to some extent you volountarily accepted the label. Who you choose to promote your music to probably had some influence on that label.
    Actually, I chose the record company I worked with because I am good friends with the owner, and he's one of about 4 people in the industry I can trust. I never "accepted" that label, and actively discouraged people from using it in all of my appropriate promo opportunities.

I'm also refering to the music whose lyrics consist "Jesus is great and god loves you" Like on the Worship CD's you see advertised late at night. Now to buy into the red state blue state stereotype I'll venture to say those Christians might tend to be more closed minded that others.
    I find that less disagreements arise when you say what you mean, instead of replacing it with a far more generalized statement.

Maybe. But that still doesn't change the fact to some extent you volountarily accepted the label. Who you choose to promote your music to probably had some influence on that label. I'm also refering to the music whose lyrics consist "Jesus is great and god loves you" Like on the Worship CD's you see advertised late at night. Now to buy into the red state blue state stereotype I'll venture to say those Christians might tend to be more closed minded that others.
    That's too much of a sweeping generalization. I've found a bumber of christians that were more freethinking than a lot of "alternative" religion people. Depends on the individual.

OEC

Let me clairify in that case. It wasn't my intention to make a serious generalization. It was more of just a hyperbolic one for the purpose of my poast.
    For the most part I'm refering to the hyper conservative and closed minded Christians. Which there are more of than not. And this isn't to say that other religions are closed minded. There just happen to be more Christians around me. And no Islamic pop...around here at least. And definately no Buddhist pop. Not that I'd buy either.

Let me clairify in that case. It wasn't my intention to make a serious generalization. It was more of just a hyperbolic one for the purpose of my poast.
    For the most part I'm refering to the hyper conservative and closed minded Christians. Which there are more of than not. And this isn't to say that other religions are closed minded. There just happen to be more Christians around me. And no Islamic pop...around here at least. And definately no Buddhist pop. Not that I'd buy either.
    Sadly, I'd have to agree. I think the real problem is evangelism and fundamentalism in all the abrahamaic religions. Nothing wrong with hyperbole

OEC

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

It came as a shock to me aswell when apparently there is a specific 'goth' genre of music aswell. (completely ignoring that any one of the 'goth' bands can easily be classified as something else..)

I remember back in the good ol' days when rock and roll was the 'devils music' now that there are 'christian rock' bands isn't that a marraige of two preconceived Antipodes..?

Weblogger

This really isn't that much worse than

"hit me baby one more time"

I think you've more of a chance with Britney; we can prove that most of her is real ...

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Hopesfall is awsome christian music, don't think they fall along those lines of "crappy pop" though.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It seems like you are happily pigeon holing them with your inaccurate info. It's no diffrent than any other style of music labeling itself to appeal to their target audience. The diffrence here being it's an entire sea of genres with the dominant them of having christian themes...ALL forms of christianity mind you. As a result it gets labled as christian music no matter what so the entire industry embraced it and became not only insanly profitable but one of the fastest growing areas of the music scene as a whole. It's far from poorly produced...you'd be quite surprised to see the level of production and top calibur work they do. I'm not a fan of it but as with anything it's a danger to dismiss it.

It is flawed to say it's a genre to itself but look at country...it is a defined style that has dominant themes and a certain sound right? Christian music has dominant themes but various sounds...may not be the textbook defenition but it works for them...to the tune of millions a year. The Simpsons really nailed it with their critique on it.

As far as them loving to show their close minded nature...well that's true of their harshest critics as well...even those who base their whole religious and spiritual lives trying to be the direct opposite of them only to act jsut as bigotted and intolorent as the harshest fundementalist.

It may not be your cup of tea but the critiques you put up could really apply to any genre...from punk and metal to pop and country. It's quite easy to rip a part a genre once you get going.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    I remember back in the good ol' days when rock and roll was the 'devils music' now that there are 'christian rock' bands isn't that a marraige of two preconceived Antipodes..?
    No offense but for you to remember those days that would make you older than my parents.

Christian Rock has it's roots in country and it's various offshoots along with styles like bluegrass...so it's not all that far removed. People forget that God has been in music going back quite some time...from Classical to even good ole Jazz....certainly the Blues. Thing is...so has the Devil.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'm also refering to the music whose lyrics consist "Jesus is great and god loves you" Like on the Worship CD's you see advertised late at night. Now to buy into the red state blue state stereotype I'll venture to say those Christians might tend to be more closed minded that others.
    What'd be the diffrence than some bands changing Jesus and God to Satan though? They'd be equally close minded if they only saw spirituality and religion defined by one faith. A cliche death metal band is in all truth no worse than a christian boy band...both are pretty limitied by their own set genre and style. Dunno about you but I get sick real fasts of artists and bands who do the same kinda albums with the same themes over and over again. It's a big reason why I am not to keen on christian music...it uses God so much that I am sure even God himself oor herself is sick to death of it....I think the main reason Jesus has not come back is the simple fact he doesn't want to have to deal with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    No offense but for you to remember those days that would make you older than my parents.
    I was thinking the same thing....but maybe he's on life extension pills?

I think you've more of a chance with Britney; we can prove that most of her is real ...

What'd be the diffrence than some bands changing Jesus and God to Satan though? They'd be equally close minded if they only saw spirituality and religion defined by one faith. A cliche death metal band is in all truth no worse than a christian boy band...both are pretty limitied by their own set genre and style. Dunno about you but I get sick real fasts of artists and bands who do the same kinda albums with the same themes over and over again. It's a big reason why I am not to keen on christian music...it uses God so much that I am sure even God himself oor herself is sick to death of it....I think the main reason Jesus has not come back is the simple fact he doesn't want to have to deal with that shit.
    Bingo! Hit the nail on the head!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

You know , I really hate accidentaly bumping into that evil christian music shit, thank god its got its own section, "there but for the grace of god go I" damned strange subliminal drival , give me some nice straight to the point Venom anyday

That stuff makes Me Vomit, wretch, and go Beserk like you wouldn't believe! **

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

In regards to tequilazaire's remark, I am reminded of a conversation that a friend and I had about manufactured music. In fact, there's a website out there (www.anomalies-unlimited.com I belive is the name) that states Disney tried to get Danzig to be their gravy train. I wouldn't know, but she's pretty reliable. Anyway, it seems that a lot of bands these days worry too much about how they look than whether or not they have shit for material. You have such bands as, say, Fabolos (sp?), Coal Chamber, any pop star, and certain Japanese Hair metal bands, and, while they have 80 dollar haircuts, diamond encrusted sunglasses, or chin tatoos that make them look like they're eating the same shit that they spit out, hold on I forgot my point. Ah yes they have no interesting riffs, the same drum beat of everyone else, drivel for lyrics, and like 10 songs on a CD that they expect us to pay 18 bucks for.

As for the whole "christian music" issue, most of those bands are doing it because if you lable your shit Christian, you'll get a more reliable flow of cash than if you do the whole shot in the dark that pop music is. That's why Jehova's Witnesses carry Bibles.
    Last edited by Mekahoel The Pandafist; 01-08-2005 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Misspelled URL

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

zao is pretty cool, for a gay christian band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekahoel The Pandafist
    In regards to tequilazaire's remark, I am reminded of a conversation that a friend and I had about manufactured music. In fact, there's a website out there (www.anomalies-unlimited.com I belive is the name) that states Disney tried to get Danzig to be their gravy train. I wouldn't know, but she's pretty reliable. Anyway, it seems that a lot of bands these days worry too much about how they look than whether or not they have shit for material. You have such bands as, say, Fabolos (sp?), Coal Chamber, any pop star, and certain Japanese Hair metal bands, and, while they have 80 dollar haircuts, diamond encrusted sunglasses, or chin tatoos that make them look like they're eating the same shit that they spit out, hold on I forgot my point. Ah yes they have no interesting riffs, the same drum beat of everyone else, drivel for lyrics, and like 10 songs on a CD that they expect us to pay 18 bucks for.

As for the whole "christian music" issue, most of those bands are doing it because if you lable your shit Christian, you'll get a more reliable flow of cash than if you do the whole shot in the dark that pop music is. That's why Jehova's Witnesses carry Bibles.
    Suddenly I'm having flashes of this Black Metal Article on 'Brutal Reviews'.. I laughed like crazy.

*sighs* Ah corpsepaint..

My bigger point was the pigeonholing as a musical group. The last comment about closedminded ness was a hyperbolic aside partially for (possibly bad - Last year's election has left a bad taste in my mouth) humor's taste. It's kinda weird how that comment gained so much attention. You're right it's just as assine when a metal group talks about Satan exclusively but not all metal bands do that. There's still variety and that'd be what one bad does. Christian groups have their own genre meaning multiple groups are singing exclusively singing about God and religious matters. So even though there are groups that fall into cliche lyrical matter within the same genre you can still find other groups that sing about different things.

When it comes down to it a band to labeled as a Christian seems to limit the scope their music is seen in. For the life of me I can't see why you'd want to do that. I understand it's marketing. In fact I read it in the newspaper awhile back (I live in the fairly religiously conservative part of CA). Marketing doesn't seem like a strong enough reason to pigeonhole yourself into being called a "Christian band."

When it comes down to it a band to labeled as a Christian seems to limit the scope their music is seen in. For the life of me I can't see why you'd want to do that. I understand it's marketing. In fact I read it in the newspaper awhile back (I live in the fairly religiously conservative part of CA). Marketing doesn't seem like a strong enough reason to pigeonhole yourself into being called a "Christian band."
    Again, I don't understand why you insist on thinking that the bands are always pigeonholing themselves. If you didn't believe my example, I'd be glad to get you in touch with several other musicians with similar experiences who can explain it to you.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

there are so many different genres and subgenres now that it only seems fair that christian music should have its own place

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, let the babies have their bottle. it's more like a dislclaimer than anything else for the rest of us. if you were considering that this band might have insightful creative lyrical content: "Warning: the following Cd is designated as Christian Rock, the surgeon general and the head of the RCAA has determinded listening to this may cause brain damage, do not listen to this if you are pregnant or have children."

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat

OEC
    I agree...regardless of religious oreintation...some of the christian bands are great...Creed , Rez band, Petra..etc...

and dont forget lots of secular artists have sang or recorded a gospel album in their career/lifetime..I say live and let live...it is no better/worse than the bubblegum shit they play on the radio these days..

no hay esperanza para ninguno de nosotros.todos moriremos!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    I agree...regardless of religious oreintation...some of the christian bands are great...Creed , Rez band, Petra..etc...

and dont forget lots of secular artists have sang or recorded a gospel album in their career/lifetime..I say live and let live...it is no better/worse than the bubblegum shit they play on the radio these days..
    I also know christians involved in music that you would never know were christian. I private messaged u btw

OEC

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i would like to draw a line between mainstream bands that are christian like creed and the theese so called "praise and worship" rock bands who sing about nothing but jesus and rarely have any talent at all ive seen a few of theese bands live for various reasons and they truly suck

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    i would like to draw a line between mainstream bands that are christian like creed and the theese so called "praise and worship" rock bands who sing about nothing but jesus and rarely have any talent at all ive seen a few of theese bands live for various reasons and they truly suck

Well, that is kind of a confusing issue.,..for christian music is just that...music that speaks and uplifts christ..or speaks of the everyday walk in the artists religious lives. Be it Creed or a little unknown *crap* band...they are both singing for the same purpose..only Creed is singing in a secular audience to convert and get their message across to other audiences. (Sone might consider this worse even)No difference though, save for quality and talent...which rolls back to every genre of music..there is shit in all of it...today most christian music fits in all genres..there is xtian rock, xtian country, xtrian rap, xtian pop...etc..etc..it is hard to tell these days unless ya listen hard to the lyrics...

no hay esperanza para ninguno de nosotros.todos moriremos!!

cada alma probara de muerte y morira. La esperanza es lo que lo hace la vida. La esperanza es que nos guarda con la voluntad para vivir.....

+ Reply to Thread