+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slam Dancing- No vacancy

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Default Slam Dancing- No vacancy

Just seen this movie called no vacancy- it was "ok", I really just watched it for Christiana Ricci-
    anyway-
    theres a scene in the movie where her and the male lead get into a discussion about slam-dancing, a topic near and dear to my heart.
    it goes something like this-
    "have you seen that stuff they call slam-dancing nowadays?"

"yeah, god, what the hell is that"

"ya know in my day it was like, an art form, not just people running into each other"

I almost shat myself when I watched this scene- call me old school but I feel the same- I think its stupid when people go into a pit just to hurt others- Yeah I was a kid when I started that shit but, there was like, a code, NO not like a code- there was a code - something along the lines of "shits gonna get rough here, and you could get fucked up, BUT we're all here to have fun, and nothings intentional, everybodys got everybodys back" I can't remember jumping off a stage and not being caught, or falling in a pit and actually making it to the ground!!!
    any views, rants, raves, stories, bitches?!!
    any one??

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Slam Dancing- No vacancy

i was a Cannible Corpse show awhile ago and it was about half cool people with those pricipals and half dumb fucks.......damn kids,i tells ya them damn kids....ahhhhhhhhhhhh......

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Same shit happened to me at the last KMFDM concert I went to. Fuckin douchebags, I thought it'd be the old crowd as it was a 21+ show. But no, I had to deal with douchebags.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

There were always people who didn't get the idea of it being rough but friendly. Of course, it was socially okay to kick the heck out of people like that. They called the group effort removal of people who didn't understand the code wolfpacking, at least where I was.

The best pits ever for me were gothindustrial and ska ones because they tended to have a lot fewer people trying to bring the pain and a stronger core of people who knew about picking someone up if they fell etc.

I went to see an allergist last week and he asked if my nose had ever been broken. I started to explain that, uhm, I was at a rock show and I set it myself and then just decided that it wasn't worth it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

eh. I think smashing pumpkins had it right when they requested everyone to sit down at there concerts after slam dancing was featured in a Miller Light commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    eh. I think smashing pumpkins had it right when they requested everyone to sit down at there concerts after slam dancing was featured in a Miller Light commercial.
    I guess thats funny- but Im not sure smashing pumkins ever got anything right-
    yeah I was bummed to see that stuff in commercials, but trying not to move to music is like quadraplegics trying to have sex!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    There were always people who didn't get the idea of it being rough but friendly. Of course, it was socially okay to kick the heck out of people like that. They called the group effort removal of people who didn't understand the code wolfpacking, at least where I was.

The best pits ever for me were gothindustrial and ska ones because they tended to have a lot fewer people trying to bring the pain and a stronger core of people who knew about picking someone up if they fell etc.

I went to see an allergist last week and he asked if my nose had ever been broken. I started to explain that, uhm, I was at a rock show and I set it myself and then just decided that it wasn't worth it.
    I guess some shows I went to did similar shit- often there were one or 2 people who assumed the role of "pit-boss", and they kinda kept the assholes at bay-
    you set your nose yourself?!!!
    you are a godess amongst women!!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    I guess thats funny- but Im not sure smashing pumkins ever got anything right-
    yeah I was bummed to see that stuff in commercials, but trying not to move to music is like quadraplegics trying to have sex!!
    touché

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I agree, there is a code to the Pit. I learned it early. You have everyone's back and everyone has your back. You protect the ladies. You get knocked down, someone gives you a hand. Someone gets knocked down, you give them a hand.
    The pit was made to have fun. But people have abused it, and turned it into "Hey, you come in here, you WILL get hurt. I'll make damn sure of that."

+ Reply to Thread