+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much do you tip?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default How much do you tip?

I think most people tip 15%-20% for food they are served by a waiter in a restaurant and ten cents to two dollars depending on change for a coffee order. But how much do you tip for delivery food? Do you base it on the distance or % of order or how heavy the order is or on a per order basis or on whether or not a delivery charge has been added?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: How much do you tip?

I try to give 30-50%. If I see a delivery charge, I'll ask what the kid gets to pocket.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

30-50% ? Really? That seems like a lot for delivery. I suppose $3-$5 on like a $10 order, but if you ordered a lot that would get pretty expensive.

Here is another question regarding tips. If you are a regular dinner patron at a bar and they tend to give you most of your drinks for free, but charge you for food, how do you figure the tip? I tend to figure tip based on the amount the tab would have been if they had charged for the drinks. What are your opinions? ( I suppose I'm bogarting Amelia's question, so probably you should specify which scenario you are responding to.)

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    30-50% ? Really? That seems like a lot for delivery. I suppose $3-$5 on like a $10 order, but if you ordered a lot that would get pretty expensive.

Here is another question regarding tips. If you are a regular dinner patron at a bar and they tend to give you most of your drinks for free, but charge you for food, how do you figure the tip? I tend to figure tip based on the amount the tab would have been if they had charged for the drinks. What are your opinions? ( I suppose I'm bogarting Amelia's question, so probably you should specify which scenario you are responding to.)
    I generally give less by % if I order more. Out here, I rarely order more than a few pizzas or chinese if I have folks over. I'm thinking usually 5-10$ on a 15-25$ tab. I'd add in the drinks and give about 20%. That would generally be 50-100$ if I was out buying drinks and food. I doubt I'd give more than 20 on a 100$ tab. People don't tip for shit out here, man, I feel sorry for the kids trying to make a living.

OEC

i would base tip upon what the tab would have been with the drinks included... but that would be because you got the drinks for free... some restaurants i get free drinks but i still tip... which is usally the same amount the tab was...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Depends...regular haunt...I tip well so they don't spit in my food.

New Place...based on performance of their job.

I try to be a good tipper though cause that's really how they make their scratch and I don't like being a prick to those who serve me stuff.

well when i say i get drinks for free its people i now know from years of going there so thats why i tip them, but yes for the same reason, that they live on that, and that mainly

I tip about $5-$10 bucks, regardless of the tab.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Depends on how much i order and how long it takes them to get to my house with food it also depends on what kind of mood im in ive actually paid a 100% tip before on a like a $20 order

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

20% even if tip is included in the meal. at bars I just leave 10 bucks.

My boyfriend and I tip 10% and we never go over $20 when ordering out.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

restraunts- 15-20% of bill- 10% or less if server was shitty
    bars- $1 every other drink- if Im just drinkin water its a $1 every drink!!
    delivery- I live kinda in the boonies so if I find someone to come out here I give at least $2- but its usually $3 and whatever change there is-

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

my friend tim works at an upscale resturant in malibu and yesterday he was the watior for brendon fraisser (sp?). the meal was $120 and he only left a $10 tip. that is retarded!!!

i would say i tip very generously for pizza and resturants, but i am the typical teenager who doesnt tip at coffee/smoothie shops, resturants that dont require a waitress, and pick-up orders...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

having delivered pizza for a long time I tip enough that whoever gets the tip will remember next time and I'll get good service because the service industry is a shit job and the people who are in it know who the assholes are and who the nice people are oh the memories

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

At a regular place, 10-20%, depending on service.
    20% for good service, 10% for crappy service, 15% for normal service.

And if it is delivery, like Pizza, chinese, etc, I just toss out three to five dollars.
    It's not a percentage of the order cost. It's just a general tip for delivery.
    Similar to Valets. Same thing. Two to five dollars or so, regardless...

At a restraunt, I am tipping for the 30 minutes of service or so.
    But for delivery, or valet, etc, I do not think they deserve some
    big tip, for doing some minor task... Especially in LA, where you
    are pretty much forced to valet, even if you don't want to.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I usually tip about one or two dollars for a food delivery... Cabs, usually the same, one or two dollars... In restaurants, DOUBLE THE TX, that's the tip... But I always make the investment bankers pay for the meal.... (Heh! Heh!)

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Service is the key. The whole purpose behind tips is to reward the person for great service. This whole "you have to tip or you're rude" thing is out of hand. I mean, I tip the hairdresser if they do a great job and are very friendly...because they have earned it. But why should I tip a rude cab driver who almost ran someone over trying to take me the long way home? Or why should I tip a waiter/waitress for simply bringing me my food. Did they smile? were they irritating? Did they make good suggestions? Did they act like they cared about how my meal was going? Those are the things I base a tip on.

Actually, if I think a person really doesn't deserve a tip in a "must tip" environment (restaurant, bar, etc)...then I'll simply round the bill up to the nearest dollar, and give them a 0.20 cent tip on a $50.00 meal. You have to earn the reward of good tips.....you don't just deserve it for being there. I've worked for tips...if I'm in a crappy mood, I don't expect to make tips that day. If I go out of my way to make people feel good and well served...I expect a lot of tips!

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Service is the key. The whole purpose behind tips is to reward the person for great service. This whole "you have to tip or you're rude" thing is out of hand. I mean, I tip the hairdresser if they do a great job and are very friendly...because they have earned it. But why should I tip a rude cab driver who almost ran someone over trying to take me the long way home? Or why should I tip a waiter/waitress for simply bringing me my food. Did they smile? were they irritating? Did they make good suggestions? Did they act like they cared about how my meal was going? Those are the things I base a tip on.

Actually, if I think a person really doesn't deserve a tip in a "must tip" environment (restaurant, bar, etc)...then I'll simply round the bill up to the nearest dollar, and give them a 0.20 cent tip on a $50.00 meal. You have to earn the reward of good tips.....you don't just deserve it for being there. I've worked for tips...if I'm in a crappy mood, I don't expect to make tips that day. If I go out of my way to make people feel good and well served...I expect a lot of tips!
    i very much agree. i tip 10%-30% on dine-in food depending on service. i tip a couple dollars to 10% on delivery depending on service like how fast and how friendly and whether my food is cold or messed up when it gets to me.

darki's Avatar darki must die

yesterday we went to a restaurant where the "service" was extremely horrible, so we didn't give any tip at all- we stole the ashtray.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

tipping is such a big thing in the US. its so different here....weird...

yes, it's absolutely different!
    I just realized that in the U.S. there wouldn't even be an ashtray on the table...

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I am the same with forrest ghost you have to deserve it. I am usually apreciative of the service and that usually leans to good dervice but not always. Also I go with what if it was me situation if the person is young and in school a lil extra never hurt. But if the perosn is rude and slow they get nothing.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Quote Originally Posted by darki
    I just realized that in the U.S. there wouldn't even be an ashtray on the table...

nor in ireland....smoking in this country is the same as in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    nor in ireland....smoking in this country is the same as in New York.
    yes, I should have kept that in mind..
    ...but a smoke-free irish pub still seems kind of surrealistic to me.

La_ExotiQue's Avatar Nigga plz

usually $1-$5 it depends on how much money we spend on food

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by darki

Not always... but then again, Nudemuse and I don't bother to go anywhere that isn't smoker-friendly anyhow... cause if neither one of us can puff a few while waiting, we tend to get a little stabby and that would mean no tips.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

As far as tipping in general... dining out we tend to tip generously and more so for exceptional service, atmosphere and such.... 25% - 50% usually. Still tipping the bartender for free drinks, at least a couple bucks a drink... depending usually on just how shitfaced they are going to get us

Delivery drivers actually fight over who will come here, at first they get freaked out by the big fat ZERO on the tip line of the credit card slip... but when you hand them a handful of loot for them to stick in their pocket makes it all the better. The boss is already making his money, why give him any more? Rather see the poor bastard slubbing his '88 Civic all over town for minimum wage get a case of beer or a bag of scwhag to forget about his shitty day at work.

I used to be a real asshole about tipping when I was on the road, but its a sure fire way to get excellent service... I'd lay 5 $5 bills on the edge of the table and tell the server that was their tip... as long as the service was to my liking, if not one bill at a time was going back in my pocket... if they sucked and there was nothing on the table by time I was ready to pay my bill, too fucking bad, they had the chance to impress me.

Although I'd have to say the best tip I ever left was in a little greasy spoon/truck stop... whatever it was... it was Crimmass Eve and me and my crew all came in, 8 of us total... I can only imagine what everyone was thinking, a bunch of wild long-haired fucks stinking of booze and weed... better call the cops.

But all we wanted was grub and to be out of the 4 feet of snow and sub-zero temps, our waitress worked her ass off, telling us about how it sucked working Crimmass Eve but was doing it so she could give her kids gifts.

Even though we might not have looked like much to anyone else, each of us tipped $100 to give her and her kids a proper holiday. We had slipped out while she was busy, leaving the money just under the edge of a plate, we all huddled together in the parking lot to make sure that she got it and on the ready to go bust heads if anyone else had copped on to it.

The look on her face was priceless and really made it worth freezing our asses off. I'm sure she had one helluva story to tell about the 8 scary freaky ass Santas that made it all possible the next morning.

I always tip really well since I work in a tip industry. Even if the service isn't good, I can usually be understanding that it's not always just the servers's fault and I still tip reasonably well. I just think it's bad karma not to leave a tip even if you're unhappy with the service. Ideally you should tip well and call later to complain to a manager. Many servers have taxes taken out of their wage checks as though they make at least 9% of their food and drink sales in tips. That means if they make less than 9% in tips for a day or a week, they are paying more taxes then they have to on the money they earned. Often the bad service is the fault of the cook or the barback. I used to bartend so I tend to be very understanding about that sort of thing. I couldn't hack it as a waitress though, so I tip them even better.

There are several up sides to tipping well. If you frequent places you will often get comps and extra perks for being nice to the staff and tipping. Tipping big will always impress your date (especially if she's a stripper). Oh, and if the server pegged you as a cheap skate and then you give them a big tip, they have to feel a little stupid about being rude in the first place.

Delivery guys will remember you too if you are kind to them. I have a favorite place that I order from a lot and since I tip the delivery guy well, they now always give me extra stuff and never forget my suaces or anything special I've ordered. It's great! I tend to tip delivery guys the 15% plus a few bucks for the trouble. If it's raining and they came on a bike - they get a 10 or a 20.

Mother Superior

Sometimes the service is shit and the food is wrong but as was mentioned it may not be necessarily be the servers fault. If I am not asked If my meal is satisfactory, their tip will suffer. You need to care whether I am satisfied with this food. I leave about 25% , more If I was treated particularly well. I can smell a kiss ass server a mile away, that doesn't cut the ice with me I know it is their job to be cordial but some people push it to the point of me thinking they may actually join us.

i tip either change or a couple dollars for pizza. thats the aon ly delivery i get.
    13 perdcent to 25 percent is what my dad always told me in restuarants dep4ending on service

Bizarre Star's Avatar Member

I must be a cheapy, I always tip 1 or 2 bucks no matter what. The only way I ever tip more and thats rare is if it was like super amazing service, or the chick was hot and flirty with me! Then its usually only an extra buck for that lol

I know its not cool, but hey I dont want to spend my cash on things I dont have to. Money isnt easy to come by. I would never take a job where tips were my main source of income, Becuase I know there are poor people like muah who wont tip nicley!

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    Although I'd have to say the best tip I ever left was in a little greasy spoon/truck stop... whatever it was... it was Crimmass Eve and me and my crew all came in, 8 of us total... I can only imagine what everyone was thinking, a bunch of wild long-haired fucks stinking of booze and weed... better call the cops.

But all we wanted was grub and to be out of the 4 feet of snow and sub-zero temps, our waitress worked her ass off, telling us about how it sucked working Crimmass Eve but was doing it so she could give her kids gifts.

Even though we might not have looked like much to anyone else, each of us tipped $100 to give her and her kids a proper holiday. We had slipped out while she was busy, leaving the money just under the edge of a plate, we all huddled together in the parking lot to make sure that she got it and on the ready to go bust heads if anyone else had copped on to it.

The look on her face was priceless and really made it worth freezing our asses off. I'm sure she had one helluva story to tell about the 8 scary freaky ass Santas that made it all possible the next morning.
    Thats so super sweet. I bet you really made her and her kids christmas special!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i try to tick to 4to5 dollars, if there cool, more depending on my level of brokeness.i know how it is with tips and i can't help but give 'em at least a five,
    just think i waited tables in Chattanooga, and i often(really often) got a mini bible, with a quarter in side......i 'm dead fucking serious,man, a fuckin' mini bible with a quarter,even makes me kinds mad ,to think about it..........

Damn KillerKat thats just wrong! I would have followed them outside and handed it back to them lol.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

it was a 7th day avantist county,no liquer,i don't think any weopens anything,ohh and some of the most corupt, fuckin' cops anywhere,they'd give L.A. cops a run any day.............

+ Reply to Thread