+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should teddy bears in strait jackets offend those with mental illness?

and your little dog too

Default should teddy bears in strait jackets offend those with mental illness?

from yahoo

'Crazy' Bear Sells Out, No More to Be Made
    Thu Feb 3, 5:38 PM ET Strange News - AP
    By DAVID GRAM, Associated Press Writer

MONTPELIER, Vt. - To the relief of advocates for the mentally ill, the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. said Thursday that its straitjacketed "Crazy For You" bears are sold out and that it will not make any more.

For weeks, advocates and Republican Gov. James Douglas have criticized the toy as insensitive. The $69.95 bear, marketed as a Valentine's Day gift, came with a straitjacket and commitment papers.

The company said it had decided weeks ago that it would stop manufacturing the bears but would continue selling them through Valentine's Day.

Company spokeswoman Nicole L'Huillier said the bear had sold unusually well, but would not release figures.

Mental health advocates claimed victory.

"We believe the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. has come to understand the harm caused by creating an image that trivialized the pain of people with severe mental illness, and that reinforced public stereotypes regarding appropriate treatment for such individuals," four advocacy groups said in a statement.

Last week, company President and CEO Elisabeth Robert had apologized to anyone offended by the bear but said it would not be taken off the market. "We're not in a position to be told what we can and cannot sell," she said.

On Tuesday, she met with representatives of the Vermont chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill and three other groups.

"We sat around a Vermont kitchen table and talked," Robert said in a statement Thursday. "From the respectful, human discourse I learned a lot about the significance of stigma in the mental health community and the plight of real people who suffer from mental illness."

"Again, we are truly sorry if we hurt anyone with this bear," she said.

The bears were offered on eBay on Thursday for as much as $175.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: should teddy bears in strait jackets offend those with mental illness?

Straight jackets were made illegal in the 1970s. I dont see why anyone would be offended.

I work in a mental hospital, and I bet a ton of our employees would give those away as gifts.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Default Re: should teddy bears in strait jackets offend those with mental illness?

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Straight jackets were made illegal in the 1970s. I dont see why anyone would be offended.

I work in a mental hospital, and I bet a ton of our employees would give those away as gifts.
    Let me know where I need to send my address to! Ive ALWAYS wanted a straight jacket. I belong in one;] Lol.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I second that motion as I deserve a staraight Jacket as well and that's a perfect description of me. I think it is more insulting that the said it offended them often people who have metal illneses arr as offended or worse by such petty un needed fake sensitivity...they know they have isues they don't want to be molly coddles fucking PC bullshit

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Totally agree. I think strait jackets and strait jacked-inspired fashion can be sexy. And it is downright offensive to suggest that such a lighthearted reference is stigmatizing. Given that, as Kellie pointed out, we don't actually use strait jackets therapeutically today, it seems to me that a cute toy which suggests being wacky and offbeat and perhaps a bit kinky . . . well, getting up in arms about that just says to me that those PC twits think anyone slightly unusual is practically disabled. I'm offended by that.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I need to get 1 of those bears, my girlfriend would absolutely love that.

anyone know where I could get one? I know it says there sold out, but there has to be somewhere that carries them that might still have some in stock?

Well if you were truly mentally ill they probably wouldn't offend you... cause who cares when you're crazy?

But... I think if it offends "mentally ill" people it's probably the ones that suck sympathy off of thier ailment/s...

Straight Jackets are cool...

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i found a staight jacket in an attic of a friends house,she let me keep it,unfortantly,it has been lost in the many places,houses,i've been in since then.......it was soo cool though.....

as for the bears, i agree with the lovely Miss. Szandora up there^...........

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Given that love is a form of mental illness..it fits perfectly. What feels more like being restrained against one's will than love?

I think bears would be more offended than anyone...I am sure PETA would come down on this as a promotion of animal cruelty in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Given that love is a form of mental illness..it fits perfectly. What feels more like being restrained against one's will than love?
    hahahahahahaha! that's just great... That should be thier slogan.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Let me know where I need to send my address to! Ive ALWAYS wanted a straight jacket. I belong in one;] Lol.

They say these are the real deal. They come in leather and rubber too

OEC

Mother Superior

People are so pent up. It has a heart on it, that is the international symbol of showing affection. People need to loosen up their sphincter muscles a bit.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I'd get a bear like that, I just wouldn't fork out the 70 bucks for one.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Maybe we can all protest the decision to take them off the market.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

who knows, these bears might be really dangerous and they should dress them like hannibal lector

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

aww a lil mask...that would be Fugging rad....they maybe could have made an agreement to use some of the money made to go towards the study of mental illness and rehabiltation...which is sadley lacking at times or maybe towards more awarnes of mentall illness...anyhow poorley handled and utterley disgraceful..even more so that they are going for 175 dollars on ebay...how am I going to get one now?

"Can't Eat, Can't Sleep, My Heart's Racing Diagnosis -- Crazy for You!" I bought one of those bears as a vday surprise for my best girl. I paid around a hundred and I thought I was splurging. There is one for almost FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS on ebay right now.

A Hannibal Lector one sounds like a sweet idea.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat

They say these are the real deal. They come in leather and rubber too

OEC
    NICE! Id love a rubber one, but I dont want to see the price tag. Lol.

+ Reply to Thread